HRO - Applied for Licence - Medical Process

Convicted Driver Insurance
So, 7 weeks after the DVLA wrote to my GP, the GP called me and asked about my recent drinking habits as I hadn't been to see them since October 2017 re anything alcohol related. 7 weeks? I suppose I should be grateful they actually called me for a quick discussion, but even though my ban ended on the 9th December, it now looks like it will be well into sometime in January before I get my licence back, despite me applying as soon as they told me I could.

You need to put pressure on your GP surgery. Your GP is unlikely to actually send the letter, they will give it to a secretary who may or may not prioritise it.

She promised it would go this week, but with Christmas coming up I can't see me getting much movement from DVLA or an appointment with one of their GP's until some time in January.

Well, quick update on the licence situation. My CDT reading with the DVLA was 0.7%, exactly the same as Medichecks even though it was just over a week later. This would seem to be my 'natural or normal' CDT level.

Kept phoning DVLA after a few days and licence was eventually issued on the 5th March 2019, 2 weeks exactly after the DVLA Medical, so not to bad.

Although I had a 20 month ban, I applied for my licence return on the 22nd October 2018. So between my own GP taking their own sweet time in replying to the DVLA and then being given DVLA Dr's who were on holiday or unable to see me for weeks, it took 19 weeks for the entire process.

This meant an 'effective' 23 month driving ban.

So anyone starting off on this route, be warned.

My Car Insurance for the year is £738, (Admiral,) which is a jump from around £240 I paid 2 years ago.

It isn't as bad as I was expecting and will hopefully go down in the coming years when I re-build my no claims bonus.

To anyone worried about getting behind the wheel again, if you have been driving for a while, don't worry.

After about 15 minutes it felt as if I had never stopped driving, but I have been driving since 1983 so for new drivers it might be more of a concern.

Thankfully my immediate penance is over and I will never intentionally do anything to lose my driving licence again. In saying that, getting public transport, taxis and lifts wasn't too much of a hassle for the last 23 months, but the ability to simply get in your car and go for a drive is something I will not take for granted again.

Apologies to jump on a slightly older thread but it gives me a little hope. Had an appointment with my new GP to go through the form that had been sent to him (post my DVLA medical), and was alarmed to find out that a doctor I saw last April (2018) had marked my file to say I'd misused alcohol. I went in for depression and may have stated that I could drink a few bottles of wine without much impairment, not that I did, or regularly at that.

I am still incredibly worried that they'll keep me hanging on for another 6 months when I barely drink at all. My medichecks Cdt result was 1% and my Cdt result from DVLA was 1%. I'm hoping for at least a 1 year licence but who knows!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off