How to prove abstinence to Dvla?

Convicted Driver Insurance
your being silly now and have missed the point completely - I am not going to say "I have given up drinking, honest guv" and expect them to believe me. All I want is a definitive answer from the dvla as to what they would class as evidence instead of it being ambiguous.
You say its down to the dvla digression what evidence they take and what applies to person A may not apply to person B but you only suggest sending LFTs regardless of who that person is or there circumstances.

your being silly now and have missed the point completely - I am not going to say "I have given up drinking, honest guv" and expect them to believe me. All I want is a definitive answer from the dvla as to what they would class as evidence instead of it being ambiguous.
You say its down to the dvla digression what evidence they take and what applies to person A may not apply to person B but you only suggest sending LFTs regardless of who that person is or there circumstances.
Ask DVLA for a definitive answer if you don't believe the advice here! I can assure you, they will not give you a definitive answer, in the same way that the Police will not give a definitive answer on how to prove you did not commit murder! There are probably many ways that you could potentially satisfy the DVLA requirements, however they do not publish a list or tell anyone what they are. Why does a negative number times a negative number equal a positive number? I DON'T KNOW, I JUST KNOW IT DOES.... Accept it or move on.

essentially you both are saying "the DVLA accept LFTs, we dont have any proof they do, but they dont actually say they dont, others have sent them in and got their licence back, so there you have it - nice argument, well that clears everything up.

I have written to the DVLA and asked them directly what can be used as evidence and will report back to the members of this site, thats "if" I get an answer, its not a case of "believing" advice , I want to know where this advice comes from - show me and the other members iif you can, if you cant move on yourself

essentially you both are saying "the DVLA accept LFTs, we dont have any proof they do, but they dont actually say they dont, others have sent them in and got their licence back, so there you have it - nice argument, well that clears everything up.

I have written to the DVLA and asked them directly what can be used as evidence and will report back to the members of this site, thats "if" I get an answer, its not a case of "believing" advice , I want to know where this advice comes from - show me and the other members iif you can, if you cant move on yourself

Do you think that maybe it's because members on this forum going back as far as 2009 have been refused with no evidence, provided LFT's the following year and got their licences back? Advice based on experience rather than advice based on guidelines? Do you also think that the DVLA perhaps do not release how to pass their alcohol dependence process because it could be abused and people who should not get licenced would be licenced? Opens them up to a lot of liability don't you think?

You can split hairs all you want. None of us got a definitive answer from the DVLA yet here I sit with a licence in my hand by following the advice I got on this forum.

Rufus not sure about other members but you came on the forum asking for advise and its been given loud and clear.The old saying is the proof is in the pudding and this is the case here as loads and loads of us have gone through this process and a large amount have regained their driving licence back.Your splitting hairs and its not a case is it black or white which is what your trying to clarify.LFT are accepted by the DVLA in support of some ones own GP,No wonder yours did not help you with your attitude.

Rufus, let’s turn this around, you are worried that the advice being offered on here as proof of abstinence or controlled drinking for DVLA purposes may not be correct, despite many people going that route. What route would you advocate going down?
Because you will not get a “definitive” answer from DVLA, there isn’t one! LFT’s are not a definitive answer because they can be affected by other factors, but in the absence of other factors they are acceptable. CDT tests can be “proof” of absence, but you will not get a GP to do them.
You have to remember that DVLA are dealing with High Risk offenders who have driven with a high reading, failed to supply or had 2 convictions in 10 years. That, coupled with a history of alcohol abuse or alcohol dependency means that they can, and should, take “whatever medical enquiries are deemed appropriate” to satisfy themselves that a person is fit to drive.
This is a list of suggested tests for alcohol use, there is blood LFT and CDT testing, but also hair and urine samples suggested. I have not heard of anyone on this site that have used hair or urine as proof, but perhaps you could ask DVLA if they would accept the latter two, I would imagine that they would...... but even then you have to persuade your GP to do them for you.

Recommended alcohol testing for best practice
The combined profile of blood tests and hair tests should be selected for all new cases where there is no reliable previous testing history.

Alcohol Profile:

• Blood tests for: LFT, CDT, GGT-CDTr and MCV
  • Hair tests for: EtG and FAEE
  • Urine test for: EtG*

Wow, I am really astounded at the hostility and how you gang up on somebody, all because I had the audacity to ask a senior member to show where the info they gave, came from.

I thought a forum like this would be a place to challenge the DVLA methods, decisions, and to have discussion about it but it appears not, agree or get lost.

chippy - I find it funny how you label others with having an attitude because you dont agree with them, I guess you surround yourself with ass kissers and anybody who doesnt agree with you has an attitude.

Wow, I am really astounded at the hostility and how you gang up on somebody, all because I had the audacity to ask a senior member to show where the info they gave, came from.

I thought a forum like this would be a place to challenge the DVLA methods, decisions, and to have discussion about it but it appears not, agree or get lost.

chippy - I find it funny how you label others with having an attitude because you dont agree with them, I guess you surround yourself with ass kissers and anybody who doesnt agree with you has an attitude
You talk a load of tosh plain and simple.I have read this whole thread and the only one that comes across with attitude is yourself.This forum has been a great help to both myself and many others and i have never seen any different.I am not here to ague the toss either way but when good solid sound advise is given and you throw in back and question every valid point why come on here.

Rufus,
Apart from arguing with people trying to help on here about what they have shown DOES work with the DVLA process, what have you done to find things for yourself?
I have suggested what you can put to DVLA as alternatives.
I have asked where you have looked at on other sites that say you do not need LFT tests. Which sites are they so we can all learn. I must admit I am not a member of other ones to look, but presumably you are as you say no other sites advocate LFT’s. What do they advocate on those sites?
It is not ganging up on someone just because everyone says the same thing, except one, but they have put forward no solutions themselves......

Rufus, let’s turn this around, you are worried that the advice being offered on here as proof of abstinence or controlled drinking for DVLA purposes may not be correct, despite many people going that route. What route would you advocate going down?
Because you will not get a “definitive” answer from DVLA, there isn’t one! LFT’s are not a definitive answer because they can be affected by other factors, but in the absence of other factors they are acceptable. CDT tests can be “proof” of absence, but you will not get a GP to do them.
You have to remember that DVLA are dealing with High Risk offenders who have driven with a high reading, failed to supply or had 2 convictions in 10 years. That, coupled with a history of alcohol abuse or alcohol dependency means that they can, and should, take “whatever medical enquiries are deemed appropriate” to satisfy themselves that a person is fit to drive.
This is a list of suggested tests for alcohol use, there is blood LFT and CDT testing, but also hair and urine samples suggested. I have not heard of anyone on this site that have used hair or urine as proof, but perhaps you could ask DVLA if they would accept the latter two, I would imagine that they would...... but even then you have to persuade your GP to do them for you.

Recommended alcohol testing for best practice
The combined profile of blood tests and hair tests should be selected for all new cases where there is no reliable previous testing history.

Alcohol Profile:

• Blood tests for: LFT, CDT, GGT-CDTr and MCV
  • Hair tests for: EtG and FAEE
  • Urine test for: EtG*
Hi price - thanks for the rewind.
I am more concerned about the little info available for newly banned drivers from the DVLA
That they unfairly treat banned drivers through lack on information and knowledge on their site.
We have all broken the law and we have all been punished for it - we are all in the same boat.
I do not doubt that LFTs can and have been used as evidence by others on this site and its well documented, my frustration lies with a gov organisation (DVLA) saying they require evidence but dont let you know how you would reliably do this.
I am confused as to why LFTs can be used as evidence when my GP and many articles on the net state that LFT test dont do prove this.
you say they do, so fair enough but I still find it unusual as the DVLA stopped using LFTs and started using CDT as they were unreliable in showing drinking habits.
I am not saying I don't believe the advice given on here, in fact the opposite is true, but I think the info provided by the DVLA is shite to say the least, it would be better if they stated what was required but they dont, so thats where we stand.
Maybe I am being overly fussy but I believe giving clear simple instructions are the key to avoiding mistakes, it just wastes their time and especially ours as we have an added ban extension if the right details arent provided.

Last edited:
Hi price - thanks for the rewind.
I am more concerned about the little info available for newly banned drivers from the DVLA
That they unfairly treat banned drivers through lack on information and knowledge on their site.
We have all broken the law and we have all been punished for it - we are all in the same boat.
I do not doubt that LFTs can and have been used as evidence by others on this site and its well documented, my frustration lies with a gov organisation (DVLA) saying they require evidence but dont let you know how you would reliably do this.
I am not saying I don't believe the advice given on here, in fact the opposite is true, but I think the info provided by the DVLA is shite to say the least, it would be better if they stated what was required but they dont, so thats where we stand.
Maybe I am being overly fussy but I believe giving clear simple instructions are the key to avoiding mistakes, it just wastes their time and ours.
Rufus, you are right, the DVLA is shite. They give misleading information, they give wrong information and they give no information, but they are a law unto themselves - whether we agree with it or not.

LFT's, on their own, do not prove anything. DVLA insist on a medical that includes a CDT (which by the way my GP had never even heard of) to give an indication of recent excess alcohol intake. This will really only be accurate over the last few months though, and just because someone has a low CDT does not necessarily mean they will get their licence back, because on it's own it doesn't prove anything either. It is shitty, but DVLA want more proof, and they helpfully leave the burden of proof down to us!

Regular LFT's over a period of time MAY give an indication of a stable or stabilising liver function, which MAY indicate a healthy association with alcohol. DVLA will not accept a letter from my local off licence saying I haven't been in there for 12 months, they also won't accept a sworn statement from me saying I haven't had a drink, but they do want something..... AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH. The general consensus on his forum is that regular LFT's, coupled with a decent result on the CDT and helpful remarks from GP's/Doctors go a long way to providing something that DVLA are content with. I'm sure there are many other things that they accept, but as of yet I have not seen anybody on this forum come up with an acceptable alternative.

Price has asked on a couple of occasions now about these other forums that you mention, and what their general consensus to providing proof is. Can you enlighten us? Please don't feel anything here is a personal attack, and I can assure you that I'm not ganging up with anybody, as I'm sure others aren't either. We are all here for the same thing, we learn as we go along, and we share our wisdom/experiences to try to help others. We are all frustrated as to most of what DVLA does and doesn't do...:unsure:

Rufus,
I don’t think anyone suggests that there is clarity from DVLA, and their goalposts shift with time - and Covid- .
I was in the police for 30 years and have long given up arguing with organisations about how things are unfair or illogical. I say this because us common people will never change the big organisations. I stick to saying how things are, not how they should be, because it is wasted effort. That is why I quote on here about LFT’s, because they have been shown to be accepted, along with other evidence. A bad LFT result can be due to other reasons that can be explored, but a good LFT result IS accepted by DVLA.
I think that makes me what is called a pragmatist?

Rufus,
I don’t think anyone suggests that there is clarity from DVLA, and their goalposts shift with time - and Covid- .
I was in the police for 30 years and have long given up arguing with organisations about how things are unfair or illogical. I say this because us common people will never change the big organisations. I stick to saying how things are, not how they should be, because it is wasted effort. That is why I quote on here about LFT’s, because they have been shown to be accepted, along with other evidence. A bad LFT result can be due to other reasons that can be explored, but a good LFT result IS accepted by DVLA.
I think that makes me what is called a pragmatist?

Price has asked on a couple of occasions now about these other forums that you mention, and what their general consensus to providing proof is. Can you enlighten us? Please don't feel anything here is a personal attack, and I can assure you that I'm not ganging up with anybody, as I'm sure others aren't either. We are all here for the same thing, we learn as we go along, and we share our wisdom/experiences to try to help others. We are all frustrated as to most of what DVLA does and doesn't do...:unsure:
I think there has been a misunderstanding on this point - I wasnt suggesting other sites say the DVLA dont accept LFTs, Im only a member of this one, so have not discussed it, I meant it is the ONLY mentioned evidence, on here - no other alternatives or additions just the LFTs and a note from your GP if they are willing.

please explain how an LFT result supports that somebody has not been drinking - a heavy drinker can have normal LFTs, equally a non drinker can have abnormanl LFTs - the test relates to liver health only.

There is obviously no reference on what the DVLA regard as evidence as a link would have been produced by you already.
I appreciate you have vast experience in these matters and that LFTs have been put forward as evidence from others on this site but the only place that states LFTs are acceptable as evidence to the DVLA is this site.

If they do accept LFTs then they should say so on there website, is it that hard!

I think what price and the other guys are saying, LFT’s are probably the best way to supply evidence to prove alcohol abuse, what are your other options?

1. a private CDT test with say medichecks won’t be accepted.

2. 90% of most regular GP’s don’t offer a CDT test, my own personal GP had never even heard of it a CDT blood test

3. a CDT test 3/4 times a year at however much a DVLA GP costs (going on the medical costs £90 a throw).

4. a liver function test 2-3 times a year, no it doesn’t state on the DVLA that this is THEE answer but, there are umpteen people on here have supplied this evidence and the DVLA have accepted it as evidence.

or as price said just go plead your case of “no I don’t drink” see how far you get. The guys on this site know what they are on about and are offering you genuine help and it isn’t a shot in the dark or half know what they are on about.

I appreciate using LFTs as evidence is the only option left open to us, whether thats right on not is another question but if they accept them, I will send them in (if I decide to apply, having second thoughts now, nothing to do with this LFT discussion)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off