How long should I wait ?

Convicted Driver Insurance

MJ2020

Hi all

I have been abstaining now for two months , do you think this is long enough before I send my form off to the dvla ? Obviously this will be a longer period of time that i will be drink free before I do my medical

Hi MJ, 2 months is a really good effort and naturally the longer you abstain the better the result, however we don't know what your drinking pattern was, if you were a raving alcoholic "so to speak" then obviously the longer the better as mentioned and if you was a sensible drinker "14 units per week then you're doing just fine and there's no really cause for concern, I know it can be frightening once summoned for a DVLA medical and reading posts on the forum but you have to remember that the CDT testing is there for people who have a serious drinking problem and cannot go without a drink even with a DVLA medical, `so my advice is do send off your application as there are experiencing some delays and continue to abstain and you will be fine.....

Thanks for that well , I’m healthy and keep fit regularly, I was drinking 2 large glasses of red wine on an evening , nothing during the day , since I’ve stopped I’m drinking between 2 and 4 litres of water per day ( diluted robinsons ) I also take milk thistle , I’m not sure if that helps ? I think three months should be enough ? Should I send off for a medicheck before hand ?

Personally I think you'll be fine, exercise is fantastic I'm not sure if the remedies help I was drinking a lot of green tea, but three months is plenty, it is a good idea to get a medi check you will have peace of mind and a base line to work off.....

Thanks , I suppose it is all down to the person , its a bit daunting I think I will send off my application the end of next month to be sure , after reading some of the things on the forum most people just answered no to all of the questions on the questionnaire,

Yes, usually most people are answering no and it seems to be working, most probably because of a reduced workforce and a huge backlog at DVLA and perhaps a low CDT is good enough to get you your licence back, however most drink drivers and especially HROs are written out to their GP......but do let us know how you get on if there is an opportunity at the DVLA to be had then take it ......

Ok thanks most will be no anyhow , I was prescribed citalopram 3 years ago when I was a bit down after I split from my wife , I stopped taking it over a year ago , and don’t suffer from mental health so do I disclose that s
or simply put no , my ban ended august 18 due to financial things I couldn’t afford a car , but things are a lot better these days

On the medical form there are questions about your mental health, the mental health question will ask : have you had any mental health issues in the last three years, if you answer yes they will write out to your GP with an M2 medical form asking about your mental health and medication, there will also be alcohol questions as well, this form then that goes out to your GP will have a six week turn around, if you do answer no and they find out through your GP you will add another 3 months to your application, however with the current condition with covid 19 DVLA might just issue out your licence as mentioned above, it's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid.....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off