how long should blood test results take

Convicted Driver Insurance

ConfusedSue

My husband crashed our car on 15th September. He was unresponsive at the scene and was taken to hospital as police couldnt be sure he didnt have a head injury.

he didnt/wouldnt/couldnt give a breath test at the scene so after doctor had declared him uninjured he gave a blood sample.

as far as im aware he wasnt actually charged witb anything and only thing I remember him signing was consent to give blood.

he definitely wasnt bailed and we have no paperwork or incident number.

we have heard nothing since and when we moved house a few weeks ago I couldnt even get the 101 call handler to put me through to the local station as we had.no incident number or details of the arresting officer.

I put the change of address along with all details we had of the accident in writing and handed it in to our local station where I was assured it would be passed to the relevant officer and that "these things can take some time"

is it normal for such a long period to go by with no results or notification of court date?

How long would there normally be between getting results and court date?

I am 8 months pregnant and having a pretty difficult pregnancy and have been told I am likely to give birth early and within 4 weeks at the latest. What would happen if any court date was to coincide with the date I am given to be induced or if I went into early labour on court date?

this has been hanging over us for 10 weeks now with no end in sight and we are both worried sick

Dear Sue,

We are sorry to hear that you and your family are going through a stressful time.

Please kindly confirm where your husband's accident occurred as we note that you have been receiving advice from Sean Joyce Solicitors on another thread.

In general terms, blood analysis time-scales can vary wildly between different parts of the country (with six weeks being a general rule of thumb). In cases where a sample is obtained some hours after a person has stopped driving, the Police can request that the result is back-calculated to give a blood reading which accords with what the level would have been at the time of driving. This can lead to a higher reading being used for any subsequent Court proceedings.

As ten weeks have already passed it may be that the hold-up is a combination of: the sample taking longer than it should to be tested at the laboratory; a back-calculation being ordered and carried out; and your change of address.

Please note that as an accident has occurred there may be other charges which follow: i.e. careless driving; dangerous driving.

If your husband is required to attend Court by means of a court citation then a solicitor will be able to appear on his behalf. On the basis that he was not given any paperwork at the hospital or police station then this is likely to be the case.

You would be best advised to contact the Police again in order to find out what is happening. They should be able to find out details of pending cases by using your husband's name, address and date of birth. We would also urge that you again inform Police of your change of address as these details have a bad habit of not being updated administratively.

We would ask you to remember that our advice is applicable only to Scots Law and for any matters in relation to England and Wales you should continue to seek advice on the other thread from Sean Joyce Solicitors.

We trust that you find this information helpful.

Hi I had originally sought advice on the other thread not realising there was a separate scottish one. We are just outside glasgow

Dear Sue,

Thank you for confirming that this is a Scottish case.

If you wish to discuss matters in more detail please contact our office on 0141 550 1074.

We have just had the court citation through for 3rd February

he had been charged with failure to provide breath sample and unfit to drive through drink or drugs section 4(1)

there re is a witness statement attached but no blood results

Dear Confused Sue,

If you wish to discuss matters in more detail please contact our office on 0141 550 1074.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off