How long did you wait to tell your employer?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks for your support guys,
Just to update you all I told my boss. He was more than fine with it and mentioned my job would be fine as I don’t need a car for the role.

just told him I got arrested and released under investigation but didn’t go into too much more details.

mid I am found guilty in court and say get a suspended sentence or community service would this likely change things?

Rm

Regarding your last question - do you fall into the HRO category? If the answer is 'no' it is unlikely you will get either a suspended prison sentence or community service. It is merely the ban and any additional fines and court costs.

CJ

Hi guys,

How long did you all wait to tell your employer of your arrest etc? It’s been just over 2 weeks for me and I haven’t mentioned anything yet.

Im very scared of the consequences of this and the fact that when I tell them within the next week they’ll sack me for not telling them immediately.

Thanks
I told mine around 1 week after, was playing on my mind and I couldn’t rest until I knew what their thoughts were.
They were shocked but said as long as I can get to work there is no issue and that they would support me.
It’s a tough time. But it will pass, take care and learn from it. It’s broke my heart so i’ll never make this mistake again

Can anyone help me with this as well please.

Early hours Sunday I crashed my car drunk. Was breathilised and was told was over but don't know what the reading was or can't remember (shock of it all) I've had bloods taken and waiting to be taken to court to see what for- tested positive for cocaine (swab of mouth)

I kept asking the police what I'm going to do as I was supposed to be starting my new job on Monday just passed but delayed it as said was in a car accident.

My new job I am about start is training for a dental nurse position. I have just read of my contract and it says about a PVG check and a brief disclosure check.

Now I know the conviction is coming. I know they will find out. I have paranoia with social media anyway so the thought of this hitting the papers/Facebook is making me so ill. I am wracked with anxiety and I'm not sleeping(hence the late post)
So do I tell my employer just now?
It is all going to come out I know but my question is...will it show on the checks? If I don't tell them now and start my job and months down the line I get convicted....will they sack me. Many thoughts are going through my head.
Ending it all is one. I just can't see any point in going on with this. I'm so ashamed.
I have a counselling session on Friday but I just feel like there's no point as trying to dose of with sleep then jumping up every tens mins with a panic attack is ruining me. I know I deserve it. I put myself and others at risk.

Can anyone help me with this as well please.

Early hours Sunday I crashed my car drunk. Was breathilised and was told was over but don't know what the reading was or can't remember (shock of it all) I've had bloods taken and waiting to be taken to court to see what for- tested positive for cocaine (swab of mouth)

I kept asking the police what I'm going to do as I was supposed to be starting my new job on Monday just passed but delayed it as said was in a car accident.

My new job I am about start is training for a dental nurse position. I have just read of my contract and it says about a PVG check and a brief disclosure check.

Now I know the conviction is coming. I know they will find out. I have paranoia with social media anyway so the thought of this hitting the papers/Facebook is making me so ill. I am wracked with anxiety and I'm not sleeping(hence the late post)
So do I tell my employer just now?
It is all going to come out I know but my question is...will it show on the checks? If I don't tell them now and start my job and months down the line I get convicted....will they sack me. Many thoughts are going through my head.
Ending it all is one. I just can't see any point in going on with this. I'm so ashamed.
I have a counselling session on Friday but I just feel like there's no point as trying to dose of with sleep then jumping up every tens mins with a panic attack is ruining me. I know I deserve it. I put myself and others at risk.
Also to say, I haven't handed my contract in yet as they were happy for me to do this on the day I start

I think you will find that the PVG will show convictions, impending prosecutions, and any other information that the police hold which is relevant to the application (PVG is the Scottish equivalent to a DBS check in England and Wales, for those who do not know) An application for employment as a dental nurse implies access to drugs (Lidocaine) for pain relief, therefore whilst the investigation into the drink driving may not be relevant, the cocaine driving element certainly IS relevant.
If you do not disclose this now and try to bluff your way through it, I feel this will involve suspension and probable dismissal when it does come to light, not just because of the offence involving drugs but your failure to disclose the investigation.

I think you have to ask yourself,” how will I perform at work knowing this is hanging over me and the likely outcome?” Are you looking for a career, or a few months “works experience”, because that is all this would probably be, even if the arrest did not immediately show up.
The difference between a PVG and a DBS is that if a DBS check is clear, you would escape notice until the next one is done, whereas with a PVG check your case remains ‘live’ and as soon as you get a conviction your employer is updated almost straight away on a continual basis.
‘Fess up, and the anxiety you feel about what will happen will be resolved.

I think you will find that the PVG will show convictions, impending prosecutions, and any other information that the police hold which is relevant to the application (PVG is the Scottish equivalent to a DBS check in England and Wales, for those who do not know) An application for employment as a dental nurse implies access to drugs (Lidocaine) for pain relief, therefore whilst the investigation into the drink driving may not be relevant, the cocaine driving element certainly IS relevant.
If you do not disclose this now and try to bluff your way through it, I feel this will involve suspension and probable dismissal when it does come to light, not just because of the offence involving drugs but your failure to disclose the investigation.

I think you have to ask yourself,” how will I perform at work knowing this is hanging over me and the likely outcome?” Are you looking for a career, or a few months “works experience”, because that is all this would probably be, even if the arrest did not immediately show up.
The difference between a PVG and a DBS is that if a DBS check is clear, you would escape notice until the next one is done, whereas with a PVG check your case remains ‘live’ and as soon as you get a conviction your employer is updated almost straight away on a continual basis.
‘Fess up, and the anxiety you feel about what will happen will be resolved.
Okay. Thank you for your reply. I guess I've lost the job then. Thanks for your help so far

Okay. Thank you for your reply. I guess I've lost the job then. Thanks for your help so far
I delayed informing my employer and they viewed that more seriously than the actual conviction as far as I can tell.
I think you would be better off informing your employer as soon as possible. Not only do a lot of contracts have clauses in them about informing employers about arrest (not just conviction) - but I found that worrying about what would happen about work and how they would take it caused so much stress. Just talking to them ended that and I knew what I had to do and where I stood, which meant I could start to plan and move on from the event.

I delayed informing my employer and they viewed that more seriously than the actual conviction as far as I can tell.
I think you would be better off informing your employer as soon as possible. Not only do a lot of contracts have clauses in them about informing employers about arrest (not just conviction) - but I found that worrying about what would happen about work and how they would take it caused so much stress. Just talking to them ended that and I knew what I had to do and where I stood, which meant I could start to plan and move on from the event.
I emailed them this morning and explained. So they withdrew their employment. I'm gutted but you're right better to be honest

So I now need to look for another job. Does anyone know or have an idea of what kind of jobs to look for? I know they will do a background check and I'll need to tell them I've been charged and waiting to be convicted. I know working with children or vulnerable people is now out the question but what other jobs could I steer towards?

So I now need to look for another job. Does anyone know or have an idea of what kind of jobs to look for? I know they will do a background check and I'll need to tell them I've been charged and waiting to be convicted. I know working with children or vulnerable people is now out the question but what other jobs could I steer towards?

Almost nothing is off limits bar policing, you will just have more scrutiny and hoops to jump through. It's best to wait until after you are convicted so you can show you were convicted then you can also show that you've turned yourself around and re-assessed your relationship with alcohol. Make sure to ask for the drink driving rehabilitation course in court and do the course, this is very important.

If you are convicted of drug driving I would take a private drug test every month so you can show a prospective employer evidence that while you were on drugs on that occasion you were completely put off them by the experience. Apply for jobs and fill in the conviction section each time after convicted. You would be surprised. Teachers lose their jobs and go right back to teaching, it's different being convicted or pending prosecution while in a role or having an offer for a role than it is applying for said role with full disclosure up front.

Almost nothing is off limits bar policing, you will just have more scrutiny and hoops to jump through. It's best to wait until after you are convicted so you can show you were convicted then you can also show that you've turned yourself around and re-assessed your relationship with alcohol. Make sure to ask for the drink driving rehabilitation course in court and do the course, this is very important.

If you are convicted of drug driving I would take a private drug test every month so you can show a prospective employer evidence that while you were on drugs on that occasion you were completely put off them by the experience. Apply for jobs and fill in the conviction section each time after convicted. You would be surprised. Teachers lose their jobs and go right back to teaching, it's different being convicted or pending prosecution while in a role or having an offer for a role than it is applying for said role with full disclosure up front.
Thanks for replying. Yous have all been great and this forum is very supportive to which I am greatful.
The problem is I need a job for bills that are happening now. I've got no income and a daughter to support.
I will look around and just apply for anything and be honest up front.

Reactions: TPR
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off