How do you define dependence?

Convicted Driver Insurance
DVLA like the word misuse as it's a far bigger open question which gives them more avenues of enquiry

Alcohol dependence
Guide to definition of dependence
There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but the DVLA offers the following:
“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:
  • a strong desire to take alcohol
  • difficulties in controlling its use
  • persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
  • and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state.”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.
The World Health Organization’s classification (ICD-10) code F10.2 is relevant.

I know they quoted me mild dependant even though I never had 1 symptom from above! But they are the law!

Alcohol dependence
Guide to definition of dependence
There is no singular definition to embrace all the variables within alcohol dependence – but the DVLA offers the following:
“A cluster of behavioural, cognitive and physiological phenomena that develop after repeated alcohol use, including:
  • a strong desire to take alcohol
  • difficulties in controlling its use
  • persistent use in spite of harmful consequences
  • and with evidence of increased tolerance and sometimes a physical withdrawal state.”
Indicators may include any history of withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, detoxification or alcohol-related seizures.
The World Health Organization’s classification (ICD-10) code F10.2 is relevant.
As far as I'm aware they do not use the word dependant . Just misuse

They state that if there is a history of dependence (6 years now I think) you have to show complete abstinence for a last year and then remain abstinent to continue - I think the words they use are "zero alcohol intake".

My GP classisfied me having been dependent 2/12 years ago based on a single withdrawal seizure. However
  • I have no desire to take alcohol at all - I don't even enjoy the 2/1 measure I have at bedtime if I can't get to sleep
  • When life gets particularly tough I drink because I want to blot it out - is that lack of control or a decision to just go back to bed and sleep.
  • I don't know what persistent means and I drink seldom enough that I have no health problems
  • I have had 2 recorded withdrawal seizures and one suspected in the last 12 years. I don't have increased tolerance.
As you might have seen from a post in the legal thread I only found out when they sent me for the medical and would have stopped and attempted to cope with the sleep deprivation had I known. Although ironically that would have made me an unsafe driver :)

Personally I think the fact that I can drink in moderation and not relapse provides better evidence than a year of abstinence.

The DVLA are a law unto themselves.

If there's ANY history (not the six years these are just guidlines) of alcohol dependence then you are required to show abstinence for 12 months in order for you to obtain a temporary 1 year licence, backed up with medical reports and a number of liver function test, there are numerous parameters that they look at to catergorize you into that bracket including no withdrawal state, no medication abnormal blood markers hence LFTs, what they don't tell you is once in this bracket then it's really hard for the DVLA to distinguish mild dependence to severe dependence and therefore going foreward people are put on temp licence until a proven time of abstination is completed 3/5 years, however if there is clear evidence of alcohol dependence then a temp licence can be applied indefinitely, in their last alcohol/drugs meeting a new questionarres was mentioned (which I welcome) at the DVLA medical to distinguish how mild or severe a persons alcohol dependence could be, it was also brought up that if a person with this condition could demenstrate abstination for a number of years then maybe that person could return to low drinking levels with close monitoring, again some people could relapse after one drink hence this is why they are trying to introduce severe to mild dependency, what was mentioned as well was another test to run alongside the CDT and to test your hair for alcohol and drugs so a person can prove continued abstinence and the test is more accurate, but they agreed this test is more expensive and will be considered in the future,the panel were also informed with information regarding alcohol and drug related seizures which they are now calling provoked seizures, so therefore the DVLA goalposts are moving all the time and are getting harder year on year and for those of us who can keep upto date with them every April and October of each year as this is when changes take place without any notification to temporary licence drivers who otherwise might find themselves revoked once again and that's the only bit of information they seem to like given out.......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off