How did you tell your boss?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14841
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance

Deleted member 14841

Hi all,

I'm just curious as to how you told your boss? Did you tell them before or after your court date? I intend on telling my boss this week but here is my dilemma.....

Today was my first day back after 3 weeks off with covid. I was charged on Friday. I only started my job in May so still in the probation period.

Its really playing on my mind. I know I have to tell them, there's no question about that but any tips on how I should approach it?

I don't think they can't sack me without proper cause. I don't need a licence for the job and I was off with covid. I just need a bit of advice and peace of mind please.

Thanks in advance....

Hi all,

I'm just curious as to how you told your boss? Did you tell them before or after your court date? I intend on telling my boss this week but here is my dilemma.....

Today was my first day back after 3 weeks off with covid. I was charged on Friday. I only started my job in May so still in the probation period.

Its really playing on my mind. I know I have to tell them, there's no question about that but any tips on how I should approach it?

I don't think they can't sack me without proper cause. I don't need a licence for the job and I was off with covid. I just need a bit of advice and peace of mind please.

Thanks in advance....
Is it necessary in all jobs to inform the employer ? I genuinely don’t know. However, assuming you need / wish to , I personally would do it asap. It just looks better all round . Why wait until Court? It just adds to the numerous things that will be on your mind. Good luck .

Is it necessary in all jobs to inform the employer ? I genuinely don’t know. However, assuming you need / wish to , I personally would do it asap. It just looks better all round . Why wait until Court? It just adds to the numerous things that will be on your mind. Good luck .
Is it better for me to tell them rather than them maybe hearing it elsewhere?

When I was offered the position, I was not asked about any convictions. So maybe I just shouldn't say anything. It's a tough one 😔

I told my boss straight away. It was actually tea time on a Friday evening but I just needed to do it asap. I just said it exactly as it was - no sugar coating.
Having been a manager myself in a few different roles my thoughts were I would want pure honesty - it goes a long way! My boss was very good and even offered my counselling through the company.
Good luck and try not to worry.
All the best 😊

I told my boss straight away. It was actually tea time on a Friday evening but I just needed to do it asap. I just said it exactly as it was - no sugar coating.
Having been a manager myself in a few different roles my thoughts were I would want pure honesty - it goes a long way! My boss was very good and even offered my counselling through the company.
Good luck and try not to worry.
All the best 😊
I think it would be alot easier if I had been there a while but i haven't and I've had about one conversation with her and that's when I first started. I've heard from others that's she strict but fair.

Think I'm just petrified about when my work colleagues find out. I know I shouldnt care what others think but it's different when you have to face them everyday.

Oh I wish I could stop overthinking everything 😔

I think it would be alot easier if I had been there a while but i haven't and I've had about one conversation with her and that's when I first started. I've heard from others that's she strict but fair.

Think I'm just petrified about when my work colleagues find out. I know I shouldnt care what others think but it's different when you have to face them everyday.

It's really difficult when you're first charged. But if you tell your boss they have to keep it confidential. It will probably make you feel that little bit better getting it out in the open with them as it will be one last thing you will have to worry about. Your boss may have had to deal with this scenario before. We have all made the same mistake, that is why we are here and the majority of us will never do it again.
Keep strong x

Hi all,

Thanks in advance....
Hi tell you boss after your court appearance not before you have been convicted.anything can happen before hand but you need to let them know asap court.good luck

Hi tell you boss after your court appearance not before you have been convicted.anything can happen before hand but you need to let them know asap court.good luck
I think there are a few points to nb
A) in your contract does it refer to criminal convictions - and declaring ASAP if so do so
B) if charged at this point - (do you have breath readings or blood results then you will get convicted - so it will happen — sadly it will not go away) then I would suggest you act asap
C) most employers like honesty & don’t want to hear it via a third party which could be the press post court
D) they also want to see remorse
So I would contact your boss give facts but make sure they know you are remorseful
Mine immediately said they would write a reference
Interestingly I had a long wait until court due to blood delay I hit the press & one staff member rushed to tell my boss saying I would need support & how much they cared — total rubbish as that person has never spoken to me since but thankfully my boss was able to say they knew

Being on probation it’s easy to get rid of you so ensuring your boss knows is best
You may want to email to ask for a meeting giving heads up that it’s a confidential chat & very distressing personal issue
No easy way but get it over
It’s another off the how I cope with life with a DD charge list
Good luck

I had to tell my boss and he was very understanding. Helped me navigate the HR quagmire.
I would suggest telling them ASAP. To be honest, it will only hang over you for longer if you don’t - anxiously wondering if your secret will come out.
I would sketch out a few lines that you want to make sure are clear to your boss. And then arrange a time. I felt loads of relief after I had started that process as it felt like it was finally coming to a close.

Good advice given on being upfront.
One other thing to consider if things went badly at work… your fine will be based on your income , if you are to be sacked, better for it to be before court so you are sentenced as unemployed….

Reactions: TPR
Thank you all for your advice, it is very much appreciated 🙏🏻❤️

Reactions: TPR
I think there are a few points to nb
A) in your contract does it refer to criminal convictions - and declaring ASAP if so do so
B) if charged at this point - (do you have breath readings or blood results then you will get convicted - so it will happen — sadly it will not go away) then I would suggest you act asap
C) most employers like honesty & don’t want to hear it via a third party which could be the press post court
D) they also want to see remorse
So I would contact your boss give facts but make sure they know you are remorseful
Mine immediately said they would write a reference
Interestingly I had a long wait until court due to blood delay I hit the press & one staff member rushed to tell my boss saying I would need support & how much they cared — total rubbish as that person has never spoken to me since but thankfully my boss was able to say they knew

Being on probation it’s easy to get rid of you so ensuring your boss knows is best
You may want to email to ask for a meeting giving heads up that it’s a confidential chat & very distressing personal issue
No easy way but get it over
It’s another off the how I cope with life with a DD charge list
Good luck
Do you think I should be open up about my recent personal struggles or just stick to the DD charge?

I have been through this before but with a previous employer I had been with for a while and they supported me. I'm just worried as I don't know my boss properly yet.

Thanks
L x

Do you think I should be open up about my recent personal struggles or just stick to the DD charge?

I have been through this before but with a previous employer I had been with for a while and they supported me. I'm just worried as I don't know my boss properly yet.

Thanks
L x
Do you have a line manager that you could tell first? Someone you know a bit more?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off