House insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Mr Price,
Thank you for replying to my post.
I have taken your advice and applied for house insurance via Money supermarket without declaring my old
conviction. The quotes were very competitive and half the price of last years insurance. Great stuff indeed.

Regarding your previous comment regarding my 30 year old conviction never being wiped off my record,
I have been talking to a friend who is a retired Police Detective Inspector.
He said that 30 year old drink driving convictions were not recordable and are completely wiped off.

A conviction for drink driving IS recordable, but it is questionable as to when it ceases to be recorded. Some forces in recent years have gone through their old files and wiped similar convictions, but some haven’t.
If you have a single conviction that is not on the exempt list (GBH, drug smuggling etc) then it is exempted from disclosure after 11 years, and will not appear on a DBS check. If, however, you gain a second conviction then both are never spent and both would appear on the DBS check.
you have a situation with a 30 year old drink drive conviction where it does not appear on a DBS check but if you submit a “subject access request” under the Data Protection Act and say “tell me what information you hold on me” then the police would disclose the conviction to you because it is on their records.
This is true, PROVIDING that it has not been weeded from the database as being too old to have any relevance. Some forces have done this some have not. Some forces are going to do this but some forces, as things stand, apparently do not intend to do such weeding.
You reported before that your 30 year old drink driving conviction showed up on a DBS check. This clearly should not have happened and should have been challenged, but also shows that your Inspector friend is wrong as it could not have been put on the result if it was “completely wiped off.”

Last edited:
A conviction for drink driving IS recordable, but it is questionable as to when it ceases to be recorded. Some forces in recent years have gone through their old files and wiped similar convictions, but some haven’t.
If you have a single conviction that is not on the exempt list (GBH, drug smuggling etc) then it is exempted from disclosure after 11 years, and will not appear on a DBS check. If, however, you gain a second conviction then both are never spent and both would appear on the DBS check.
you have a situation with a 30 year old drink drive conviction where it does not appear on a DBS check but if you submit a “subject access request” under the Data Protection Act and say “tell me what information you hold on me” then the police would disclose the conviction to you because it is on their records.
This is true, PROVIDING that it has not been weeded from the database as being too old to have any relevance. Some forces have done this some have not. Some forces are going to do this but some forces, as things stand, apparently do not intend to do such weeding.
You reported before that your 30 year old drink driving conviction showed up on a DBS check. This clearly should not have happened and should have been challenged, but also shows that your Inspector friend is wrong as it could not have been put on the result if it was “completely wiped off.”

Thanks Mr Price for your reply.
Obviously you are correct regarding my conviction not being wiped off due to my DBS check.
My retired police inspector friend has suffered two strokes in recent years so maybe I should have taken that into
account. I'm sure he meant well with his advice.

OK so now knowing that my conviction is never wiped and any further convictions would restore my previous conviction,
I assume Santander were correct in asking for any previous convictions and refusing insurance on that basis.
Santander realise that convictions are never wiped and even if a conviction didn't show on a DBS check it means nothing.
Therefore if I was prosecuted for any offence in the future my house insurance would become void.

Looks like I wil have to sell my house due to the mess created by the law and insurance companies.

Interesting to note that I had no problems insuring my house over 30 years ago when I had a DR10 on my licence.

All very strange and suspicious in my opinion.

Thanks Mr Price for your reply.
Obviously you are correct regarding my conviction not being wiped off due to my DBS check.
My retired police inspector friend has suffered two strokes in recent years so maybe I should have taken that into
account. I'm sure he meant well with his advice.

OK so now knowing that my conviction is never wiped and any further convictions would restore my previous conviction,
I assume Santander were correct in asking for any previous convictions and refusing insurance on that basis.
Santander realise that convictions are never wiped and even if a conviction didn't show on a DBS check it means nothing.
Therefore if I was prosecuted for any offence in the future my house insurance would become void.

Looks like I wil have to sell my house due to the mess created by the law and insurance companies.

Interesting to note that I had no problems insuring my house over 30 years ago when I had a DR10 on my licence.

All very strange and suspicious in my opinion.

Wow your drink driving offence seems to have affected you very much!

Perhaps it would be worth adding something like this to your future posts to serve as a warning and deterrent. It would be helpful to others not to make the same mistakes:

Milton - "It's been years since my drink driving offence, yet the effects are still haunting me. A drink driving offence is not just a ban and further insurance issues, it can also render you jobless, divorced, even homeless and will stay on your record. PLEASE THINK!"

Hi, sorry - change of subject slightly.

But how does a drink driving conviction affect commercial property insurance please?

Or is this on a different thread?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off