Hitting "the wall"

Convicted Driver Insurance

AndyJG

Well Known Member
No, not an accident....im 3 months into a 2 year ban, reduced by almost 6 months if i do the drivers awareness court...but with winter approaching, lockdown starting again up here in Scotland, I just feel totally depressed. If this virus continues into next year is it worth my while doing the course, when the DVLA could be so far behind, it wont reduce my ban....then medicals months behind. How has everyone else coped during the last7/8 months ?

No, not an accident....im 3 months into a 2 year ban, reduced by almost 6 months if i do the drivers awareness court...but with winter approaching, lockdown starting again up here in Scotland, I just feel totally depressed. If this virus continues into next year is it worth my while doing the course, when the DVLA could be so far behind, it wont reduce my ban....then medicals months behind. How has everyone else coped during the last7/8 months ?
I did the course as soon as I could & got in done br end if Feb Pre lockdown
I have heard you can now do it on line via zoom/ teams etc so explore that
I sent my application to dvla to arrive on the 56 days permitted before end of ban - sent recorded delivery and copy of letter from dvla saying no medical needed & driving course certificate - may have helped & git licence in a week
Other point re the course it can get you cheaper insurance
I would explore on line course & find out where you can get medical etc & try to book it etc
Good luck

my ban ends in 4 weeks and I haven't even got the forms from DVLA yet, according to price I will be classed as a HRO, so should have received the forms 90 days before my ban ends, that was 2 months ago, so must be some serious back logs occurring.

I would have said save your money as with covid the back logs are horrendous but if you can do it on zoom etc go for it, it will be 25% off your ban - thats not to be sniffed at- also have a look into getting your ban reduced, I believe you can be considered if your ban is over 12 months but I dont know the finer details.
You can submit your forms 56 days (or 90 days if HRO) before your ban

my ban ends in 4 weeks and I haven't even got the forms from DVLA yet, according to price I will be classed as a HRO, so should have received the forms 90 days before my ban ends, that was 2 months ago, so must be some serious back logs occurring.

I would have said save your money as with covid the back logs are horrendous but if you can do it on zoom etc go for it, it will be 25% off your ban - thats not to be sniffed at- also have a look into getting your ban reduced, I believe you can be considered if your ban is over 12 months but I dont know the finer details.
You can submit your forms 56 days (or 90 days if HRO) before your ban

Rufus, don’t wait for the D27 to arrive because it will now not do so. It should be sent out at 90 days, but because of the Covid situation they were not sending them out.
You need to go to the post office and get a D1 form and submit that straight away as you have already lost 2 months of the 3 month window so it is highly unlikely that you will get through the process before your ban is up.
A person can apply to have their ban reduced, but only after serving at lease half of their ban, subject to a minimum of 2 years having elapsed so in practice this does not work for a ban of under 3 years.

Price - thanks for that info, when was the decision made public that the DVLA are not send out application forms, I knew and expected delays but not for them not to stop send any out.
I will try to find a post office tomorrow that has the D1's and that havent been shutdown. - why cant they be downloaded - it would save them a fortune on postage.

Last edited:
I don’t know the answer to that specific question, they did say in may that they were not processing applications unless you are a key worker, so it follows from that they would not be sending application forms out. They would not send forms to apply for something they have said to not apply for.
It has certainly been pointed out on here a number of times in the past few months.
The issue is that the computers have always been set up to send the D27 at the 90 day point. If for any reason that does not happen, there is no mechanism for the computer to say “I should have sent out a D27 2 weeks ago” the time has passed and the form is not sent out.
There is also the issue that even if the form is sent, it is sent to the address they have on your driving licence, not the address given to the police of the court so it may go to the wrong address.
That is why we always advise on the drink drive rehabilitation course that if the form does not arrive from DVLA then a D1 should be obtained from the post office.
you are a,so advised to get a form from the post office if the D27 doesn’t arrive on the .gov website

“If you do not get your renewal form in the post, you can get one from the Post Office.“

and on this site here:

“You do not have to wait for a renewal reminder in order to apply for a driving licence after disqualification.
Simply send the relevant application pack to the DVLA to apply. Renewal reminders often arrive late and sometimes don’t arrive at all!”

Last edited:
Price - thanks for that info, when was the decision made public that the DVLA are not send out application forms, I knew and expected delays but not for them not to stop send any out.
I will try to find a post office tomorrow that has the D1's and that havent been shutdown. - why cant they be downloaded - it would save them a fortune on postage.
Local post offices do not normally have them, only main ones.
if you are stuck for finding one, send me a PM with your details and I will post you one, I have a couple at home here and will send you one.

Local post offices do not normally have them, only main ones.
if you are stuck for finding one, send me a PM with your details and I will post you one, I have a couple at home here and will send you one.
I got mine at a local post office got 2 in case I made a mistake
Sent it recorded delivery so it would arrive on 56 days before ban ends enclosed my letter from dvla post court & driving course certification ( copies)
Got my licence one week later
I saw in the forum there were delays so was proactive

Really feeling positive......after all these answers, i didnt ask for.....THANKS...
You are right, whilst you had a couple of comments on how people are coping, it then got sidetracked and you didn’t get an answer to your question about the course.
What will happen in 15 months time is a bit of a lottery. The only thing I can say is that if you do the course (and at least you will be able to do one now that online ones have been sanctioned) you will be applying for your licence earlier if you do the course, against applying in 21 months time if you do not, so whilst there could still be delays in the 7th Covid wave or whatever, you will still be applying and starting the process 6 months earlier than if you do not.
You will also only have to declare a 18 month ban for insurance purposes rather than a 2 year one.

You are right, whilst you had a couple of comments on how people are coping, it then got sidetracked and you didn’t get an answer to your question about the course.
What will happen in 15 months time is a bit of a lottery. The only thing I can say is that if you do the course (and at least you will be able to do one now that online ones have been sanctioned) you will be applying for your licence earlier if you do the course, against applying in 21 months time if you do not, so whilst there could still be delays in the 7th Covid wave or whatever, you will still be applying and starting the process 6 months earlier than if you do not.
You will also only have to declare a 18 month ban for insurance purposes rather than a 2 year one.

Drink drive courses at least drink drive north are starting to do face to face courses again in Yorkshire on their website and I know some have been doing them on zoom as my Mum's mates hubby does them and speed awareness courses and has been doing them online for months

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off