Hiring a car in Europe?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Stupid girl

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me if there are any hire companies that would allow me to hire a car abroad. I was refused a courteousy car in the UK because of my DR10 almost 3 years ago but wanted to hire a car in Spain once Covid restrictions are over and would prefer to know if I need to go to specific hire companies beforehand to avoid embarrassing myself. Is there any way around this. I do feel like sometimes, yes it was my fault, but I have so learned from my experience and paid my fine and done the time..I don't want to keep going through it. Hope someone can help.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me if there are any hire companies that would allow me to hire a car abroad. I was refused a courteousy car in the UK because of my DR10 almost 3 years ago but wanted to hire a car in Spain once Covid restrictions are over and would prefer to know if I need to go to specific hire companies beforehand to avoid embarrassing myself. Is there any way around this. I do feel like sometimes, yes it was my fault, but I have so learned from my experience and paid my fine and done the time..I don't want to keep going through it. Hope someone can help.
I seem to recall being told on the Drink Drive Course that hiring anywhere could be problematic. You could perhaps contact a couple of hire companies based at the Spanish airports and email them ?

Hello, I think I recall we were told similar that trying to hire a car abroad would be an issue. Plus now the post Brexit mess I guess it could be harder. Interesting comment about a courtesy car, I went to test drive a car when my ban was up, I handed over my licence the took copy & didn’t ask anything - let me take car out for a drive
- which I then bought I may add.
Anyone had issues have a courtesy car if for example their car was being serviced or in an accident ( alth I guess for this case you would be in touch with your insurance company anyway )
The crime that keeps on giving hey !!

You should be fine. When you hire a car abroad, they generally only ask for a copy of your physical licence, they don't ask for the check code that UK hire companies ask for. The check code is the only way that the company can see any endorsements.

The policy for all the major companies is to refuse to insure a car to someone with a drink /drug driving conviction in the past 5 years.
Most of the UK ones also operate abroad but the concept of points and disqualifications are something that is not understood abroad and all they seem interested in is verifying that you have a current valid car licence for the UK. (So your ban has to have finished!)
You would have to be careful that the wording of the rental agreement does not state that you have to have a clean licence, but otherwise you would be good to drive abroad in a rental car.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off