Hire car rules

Convicted Driver Insurance

DonkeyKong

Established Member
Does anyone have a link to actual rules (not hearsay) on hiring a car with DR10?
I see Rhino and others say you cannot here a car within 11 years, but then, ROO act says you don’t need to declare a DR10 after 5 years. Do the hire companies have access to data beyond what you must normally declare? Im Trying to plan for having a license back at end of April, and I know I must declare the conviction to insurance companies for another 3 years (after 2 year ban) but after that I can dis count it (I think). Do hire companies in the UK actually check for convictions? And is it right that EU /US / ROW don’t have access so would not know? I’ve hired lots of cars in the past in EU / US and I’m pretty sure they didn’t check DVSA records?

There are no ‘rules’ as such, but if you read the terms and conditions on the main Hire Companies they state that they will not hire a vehicle to someone with a drink drive conviction in the past 5 years.
You are right to say that in many other countries they are not interested in points on out licence as the concept of points then totting up is alien to them. If they are concerned, then all you have to do is to produce the “self check” you can do on your licence on the DVLA website and that give a code they can use to check for themselves. That shown unspent convictions only.

Sorry, slightly confused. Are you saying, unless I tell them, they will not know? Specifically, I arrive in Texas, and hire a car, they won’t have any ability to find out I have a DR10? And is unspent the 30 month ban, or the 5 year ROO ?

Yes, I am saying they would not know, but on the hire agreement it may say a stipulation that you must not have a DUI (drink driving to us) in the past 5 years, and you would invalidate your insurance if you have lied. Also they may well find out in the event of a bad collision where they make enquiries in the UK about you.

Does anyone have a link to actual rules (not hearsay) on hiring a car with DR10?
I see Rhino and others say you cannot here a car within 11 years, but then, ROO act says you don’t need to declare a DR10 after 5 years. Do the hire companies have access to data beyond what you must normally declare? Im Trying to plan for having a license back at end of April, and I know I must declare the conviction to insurance companies for another 3 years (after 2 year ban) but after that I can dis count it (I think). Do hire companies in the UK actually check for convictions? And is it right that EU /US / ROW don’t have access so would not know? I’ve hired lots of cars in the past in EU / US and I’m pretty sure they didn’t check DVSA records?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off