Help

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dannywayoflife

Hi guys hope someone can give me some advice.

ok here Goes. In 2018 due to severe PTSD which was reported to the DVLA I had to surrender my driving licence. At the same time due to the PTSD depression and anxiety I stupidly did some self medicating with drink, xanax and cocaine, so when I reapplied last year with the support of all my medical team I had to declare that and as a result they put me through a medical and was tested everything. I got my licence back for a year and started the renewal process in May/June. My GP and Shrink have both again supported my renewal but now after my licence has expired the DVLA has decided they now again want a medical for some reason even tho I’ve been driving safely for a year and both my doctors wrote reports stating I am fit to drive, but the DVLA have also said due to covid they can’t offer a medical and can’t tell me when they will be able to. This is now costing me work and income is there anything I can do?

Thanks they say I may qualify for it but won’t commit further than that. The problem I have is I have a interview next week for a new job my last contract has just ended and a full driving licence is a requirement....... I honestly have no idea why they want to medical me and so far they won’t tell me why. The only thing I can think of is I was honest and put on the forms I had like 3-4 glasses of wine on Xmas day last year but I hardly ever drink now so the 6 month of abstinence/ controlled intake has easily been met.

Well it will meet the controlled drinking - overall - but may have put it as a binge’ depending on the size of the glasses.
“In the UK, binge drinking is drinking more than:

• 8 units of alcohol in a single session for men“

That is certainly not my definition of binge drinking, but it is the official one.p
it certainly would not meet the abstinence requirement -if that is what you were told - due to alcohol dependence which requires evidence of 12 months clear.

Welcome to the world of DVLA medicals!
You may find that they repeat this each year for another 5 years!
what did they tell you when you got your licence back? Was it to control your drinking or to abstain from drinking?
did you submit any proof of cottrolled drinking other than letters? - as in LFT results?If you didn’t, that mY be why they want you to have a medical.

If your account is correct, and it is medical enquiries where you have not been refused a licence and your doctor is happy for you to drive then you DO qualify to drive under S88, but that does not help with producing a driving licence for your job application.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off