HELP PLEASE

Convicted Driver Insurance

Gbisherwoo

Sorry for the long winded post but I need some advise.

My partner was convicted of drink-driving twice once in 2018 and in 2019 so he’s classed as a high risk offender when he was banned in 2019 he carried on binge drinking throughout his ban open till 2022 in August. Since August he only had one drink on the 8th of October 2022 his medical was on the 17th of November so we are just currently waiting for this to come back does anyone have any experience of whether he will pass the CDC test the doctor that he saw said that on their side everything was fine and he looks well and healthy he goes to the gym he’s normal he isn’t drinking or taking any drugs but obviously he’s very worried and concerned that he isn’t going to get his license back do you think this drink in October will have made any difference I will his CDT level be back to normal By the time of his medical on the 17th of November we know that there is a delay with the DVLA but he’s got his van ready and he needs his van back for work so it’s just causing a lot of stress at all Some advice would be really helpful!!

Ps

His ban was up In June 2022 and he completed the drink driving course in January So his ban was shortened by nine months

Not a helpful reply, I know, but you can't really compare one liver to another and it depends what you mean by "binge drinking" - 60 units a week over a few years isn't a huge amount for some (I'm assuming about 12 pints twice a week), if that's the sort of range, but damage can creep up.

Not a helpful reply, I know, but you can't really compare one liver to another and it depends what you mean by "binge drinking" - 60 units a week over a few years isn't a huge amount for some (I'm assuming about 12 pints twice a week), if that's the sort of range, but damage can creep up.
I’d say more 10-15 units once a week

They’ve said there’s no liver swelling or visible damage all his health checks were fine, he had 8 units on the 8th October before that he hadn’t had a single drink since the 14th August

So, CDT doesn't measure liver damage at all. The test is accurate out to 3-6 months (beyond that it becomes difficult to know what the normal levels for an individual are). Levels continue to drop once you've stopped. There's a good chance that his levels were dropping from August and got bumped up a little in October, but they would be on a downward trend. It really depends on the starting level in August. If you say he was drinking on 10-15 units a week for the year before that, I would not worry at all, those are low levels. High levels would be 90+ units a week. Alcoholics can get through a litre of whisky/vodka a day, and it would take a year or so for numbers to go back to normal at that level. 6 pints on the weekend isn't going to push the numbers too high, so they should return to normal within a month or so.

Don't quote me on that though because unfortunately not only do these tests vary from person to person, the DVLA seems to pick and choose the target levels for a pass.

I'm curious with your partner being HRO, has the DVLA said he needs to 'abstinent for a year' or 'controlled for 6 months', they have different requirements for either.

Don't quote me on that though because unfortunately not only do these tests vary from person to person, the DVLA seems to pick and choose the target levels for a pass.

I'm curious with your partner being HRO, has the DVLA said he needs to 'abstinent for a year' or 'controlled for 6 months', they have different requirements for either.

Seems to be HRO due to two bans in two years, so no need for abstinence or control (from a DVLA viewpoint, although perhaps a good idea given the background shared here)

No they didn’t say either, the second time he was banned was the day after drinking he thought he was absolutely fine he was taking his daughter to an emergency appointment and got pulled over, but he blew 80!!! I’d say his drinking has been controlled for 6 months as he’s drank once a week before august! Yes the hro is due to the double ban

I know the cdt test only measures the level of alcohol in the system but I mean his other checks on his medical were fine, he’s had liver function tests at the gp and they’ve said no concerns

Some will be fine, some won't with sporadic heavy drinking. Some people on here seem to defy science with what they sail through a DVLA medical drinking; others are less lucky. Often we don't hear the truth, quite often we read what we don't hear.

All I'd say - as former HRO with full license again, who knows medicals well, having had three of the damn things and having quit drinking a few years now - is that if you can't quit for just 1 month in order to drive again (1 month that will actually transform your life massively for the better if you stick to it properly) - then there is an argument as to whether or not you really want your driving license back.

Some will be fine, some won't with sporadic heavy drinking. Some people on here seem to defy science with what they sail through a DVLA medical drinking; others are less lucky. Often we don't hear the truth, quite often we read what we don't hear.

All I'd say - as former HRO with full license again, who knows medicals well, having had three of the damn things and having quit drinking a few years now - is that if you can't quit for just 1 month in order to drive again (1 month that will actually transform your life massively for the better if you stick to it properly) - then there is an argument as to whether or not you really want your driving license back.
My partner had 6 units in October before that he hadn’t had a drop since august, he has had binge drinking episodes but now is completely drunk free, he’s so anxious waiting for the gp results 😩

Agreed and I also quit completely some years ago. Bar a tiny fraction of genuine mistakes, most on here can be divided into two groups - the one I'm in, which is people who eventually accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol, and those who never accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol.

Agreed and I also quit completely some years ago. Bar a tiny fraction of genuine mistakes, most on here can be divided into two groups - the one I'm in, which is people who eventually accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol, and those who never accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol.
My partner used to have a problem with alcohol, he hasn’t needed any treatment tho and hasn’t been told to stop drinking, he used to use alcohol as a coping mechanism, however he’s had counselling and doesn’t anymore

people who eventually accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol, and those who never accept they have a problematic relationship with alcohol.
You can bet the majority of beauratics, doctors and MPs making these rules to police and hoops for us to jump through fall into the latter category, because they never have to face the consequences of it all. There's not a single MP that doesn't drink themselves into a stupor at the commons discounted bar, you can see it on their faces. And there's not a single GP that doesn't down a bottle of wine at the local exclusive celebrity restaurant on their £200k salaries. Most people drink more than 14 units a week and accept the minor risk that comes with it, just like the accept the risk every time they get in a car that they risk being killed by another driver. Living a good life involves taking risk to enjoy.

You can bet the majority of beauratics, doctors and MPs making these rules to police and hoops for us to jump through fall into the latter category, because they never have to face the consequences of it all. There's not a single MP that doesn't drink themselves into a stupor at the commons discounted bar, you can see it on their faces. And there's not a single GP that doesn't down a bottle of wine at the local exclusive celebrity restaurant on their £200k salaries. Most people drink more than 14 units a week and accept the minor risk that comes with it, just like the accept the risk every time they get in a car that they risk being killed by another driver. Living a good life involves taking risk to enjoy.
And the Muslim MPs?

Most MPs can’t change anything. Markets run countries now, at least Truss proved that if nothing more (oh - other than what a charmless moron she is also). So whilst I don’t necessarily forgive their gravy train, they will probably get their day in the Sun soon.

GPs though, best I don’t get started on them today. :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off