Help please

Convicted Driver Insurance

Janster

Hi folks iv read almost ever post on here and find it most helpful but I’m still anxious about applying for my license again.. long story but 2005 I had a serious accident while under the influence (think I blew 148?... was banned for 16 months) got my license back with no problems after... in 2007 was stopped again and was again over the limit (cannot remember the reading) I was given a 3 year ban automatically... I’m ashamed to admit that I continued to drive and was stopped once again a year later and automatically banned for another 3 yrs I was fined and put on a tag for 6 months... fast forward to 2016 I went to rehab for alcohol dependency completed the whole course and re-applied for my license after 1 yr.. I was told because I had done a rehab I had to wait another 12 months abstinence which I did... in that time I had started drinking occasionally and re-applied again, another medical by dvla and refused again as my cdt level was 5.1% ( I only stopped drinking for 4/5 days before the test..) I was sent a letter stating I have to wait another 12 months to apply again.. dated 11/6/18 it’s now over a year and I have stopped drinking (wine) and alcohol totally, it’s been 6 weeks now and I do not intend to drink again, I’m just waiting for LFT results today 29/8/19 and I’m sending another application with in the next month... I’m sorry for the long post but would appreciate any advice as to wether my cdt levels will be low enough now (roughly 8/9 weeks alcohol free?) I am desperate for my license back all ligit and legal... many thanks

I have been through the process. You must provide proof of 12 months of sustained abstainance to the DVLA via doctors records, you should see your GP once a month between now and being a year sober and get regular blood tests so you can back up how long you've been sober.

I have been through the process. You must provide proof of 12 months of sustained abstainance to the DVLA via doctors records, you should see your GP once a month between now and being a year sober and get regular blood tests so you can back up how long you've been sober.
Thank you grace96 dvla have said I can apply after 6/12 months with another medical, I assume if my ctd levels are normal I should be clear. I have no history with my doctor the last 3 years relating to drink

You have stated in your post that the DVLA in the past has asked you for 12 months of abstainance, they will still be looking for proof that you have been abstainant for at least 12 months when you apply this time. DVLA guidelines state that if you have a history of dependence you must be able to prove 1 year of sustained sobriety via doctors records, without seeing your GP for 3 years you have no record of how long you haven't taken a drink for. I would recommend making an appointment with your GP as soon as possible to log with them how long you've been sober for.

I've attached the DVLA's guidlines for those who they have deemed to be dependant. You may now be able to apply, but without having 1 year of sobriety that you're able to prove via your doctors records the chances are that your application will be denied. I'm sorry this probably isn't the news that you wanted to hear but they are strict to their guidlines, even if you pass the CDT they will want evidence of sustained sobriety if you have a history of alcohol dependence.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190829-194950.jpg
    Screenshot_20190829-194950.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20190829-195002.jpg
    Screenshot_20190829-195002.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 13
Hi folks iv read almost ever post on here and find it most helpful but I’m still anxious about applying for my license again.. long story but 2005 I had a serious accident while under the influence (think I blew 148?... was banned for 16 months) got my license back with no problems after... in 2007 was stopped again and was again over the limit (cannot remember the reading) I was given a 3 year ban automatically... I’m ashamed to admit that I continued to drive and was stopped once again a year later and automatically banned for another 3 yrs I was fined and put on a tag for 6 months... fast forward to 2016 I went to rehab for alcohol dependency completed the whole course and re-applied for my license after 1 yr.. I was told because I had done a rehab I had to wait another 12 months abstinence which I did... in that time I had started drinking occasionally and re-applied again, another medical by dvla and refused again as my cdt level was 5.1% ( I only stopped drinking for 4/5 days before the test..) I was sent a letter stating I have to wait another 12 months to apply again.. dated 11/6/18 it’s now over a year and I have stopped drinking (wine) and alcohol totally, it’s been 6 weeks now and I do not intend to drink again, I’m just waiting for LFT results today 29/8/19 and I’m sending another application with in the next month... I’m sorry for the long post but would appreciate any advice as to wether my cdt levels will be low enough now (roughly 8/9 weeks alcohol free?) I am desperate for my license back all ligit and legal... many thanks

Hi will try keep this as short as can be .. I'm very similar 5 DD convictions 9 driving while disqualified (none of those with alcohol) .. failed last medical a year ago CDT 4.3 .. back in the application stage again .. so far its very long winded and no licence but no refusal and still on going .. good luck with it.. I have done no alcohol rehab or ever been seen for it

With your history you can be sure that DVLA will be looking to see that there has been total abstinence. Therefore the usual CDT result of 2.3-2.9 being a warning flag door further checks and a result of 3.0 + being a failure will not apply.
I have read articles where alcoholics can take up to 12 weeks for their CDT to come down to a reasonable level, but as you are aiming for total abstinence levels (perhaps 0.8 -1.1) then you might need a week or 2 longer.
It may take a couple of weeks from making the application before you hear about the doctor you need to see, and you could make an appointment for 4-5 weeks after that (the limit is 6 weeks from the date on the letter)
The longer you can leave it the better. A little wait now could save you 12 months wait for another application and even closer scrutiny if you keep failing.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off