Has my license been delayed by the lockdown

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi guys! I hope everyone’s managing through this awful time!
what do you guys think......
I had my medical on the 9th March (pre virus) the following week I called the dvla. I was told they were waiting on the paperwork and I should hear back within a week.....but then the outbreak happened....so there’s no way of telling if my license is coming or not!!!
I was so so so close man ???

It took 7 weeks from the date of my medical, until my licence was in my hand with all the messing about they did. The time frame to hear after the medical is up to 8 weeks.

Wow! Thanks so much!! Good to know, Haha I’ve been checking online every few hours or so!
Aw man the guy made it sound like I should hear back by Monday....two days ago ?

Every time I phoned them they said a week, only when I finally got speaking to the medical section manager was I informed that the actual wait at that time was 6-8 weeks.

So there wasn't even a mission of me getting it in the first 6 weeks, despite being told weekly that it would only be a matter of days. I however would not be surprised if the 6-8 week time frame is now much longer with everything going on.

Hi jenny_holly,

You’ll find that under normal circumstances, once you’ve completed the medical, the DVLA will have done everything they have to do and issued your license in the post around the 3 to 4 week mark - that seems the average time from reading people’s experiences on this forum. It’s difficult to say what is happening on the DVLA side of things due to COVID19 however I highly suspect that your wait time won’t be much different from usual, barring any medical anomalies!

When I did my medical almost 2 years ago, once I was in the pipeline, my license didn’t take that long at all to arrive in the post (I seem to remember it was around 3 weeks).

MM

Hi guys! I hope everyone’s managing through this awful time!
what do you guys think......
I had my medical on the 9th March (pre virus) the following week I called the dvla. I was told they were waiting on the paperwork and I should hear back within a week.....but then the outbreak happened....so there’s no way of telling if my license is coming or not!!!
I was so so so close man ???
Count yourself lucky that you are as far along as you are, I’ve just had my court listing cancelled with no date given as to when it will now take place. Don’t think I’ll be driving again this side of Christmas ? my job depended on it too!

My argument with all this - people coming to the end of their bans may play a key part in keeping the country going & or may have suffered drastically changing circumstances - the limited available of public transport which has a massive impact if they are still working or have to care for others.

My theory is that someone who gets their licence back may be someone who can play a part in helping to stabilise the country during the Covid19 epidemic. A reinstated driver could even assist with food deliveries or taking medication to private addresses. Just a couple of examples of why the DVLA shouldn't be holding up the system.

CJ

I agree. My thinking is that at some point the DVLA might slightly relax their attitude toward contacting the Dr post CDT test, if the test results are reasonable. If we are in 'social distancing' for the long haul Doctors surgeries are going to be overwhelmed.
So, when I am getting close to being able to book a medical I want to be as low as possible, in the hope the DVLA just wave me through. Going to be hard having no alcohol whilst being locked in quarantine with the sun shining.

Just an FYI and I appreciate everyone has a different metabolism. I abstained for 2 weeks and got 0.4% in a medicheck. I’m 32, male, relatively active and had been on chlorella supplement to boost my iron levels, just a wee tip. I think as long as you limit/abstain 4 weeks prior to medical you’ll be grand

UPDATE DVLA MEDICAL
hi been for medical 3rd. Tests back , wrote doctor, doctors wrote back....
DVLA extremely busy, no holding patterns.. got on to web chat and managed to get some details. They gave me a number to try and bingo got through...
DVLA OPEN to online chats and calls... very slow with medical replies to upload on the systems... it they waing on doctors reply , it looks it may take a while to process. If they have everything they will scan upload within a week and decision will follow shortly after...
They say uploading their findings on license will take 24 / 48 hrs as of today...
Hope this helps
Fingers x for all you all. I'm waiting for the final hurdle...
Ps if you've done your medical your through the worst bit, if they written to your doctors I was told your tests were ok if not they would not bother and would write to you saying license revoked... she stopped short of saying mine was ok,, as not a doctor but made a point of saying if there was a problem the process would of been different.. medical questions down to their doctor...
I was lucky enough my doctor rand me and went through the questions and posted the same day
See ya all

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off