Has anyone done the steer clear course? Does it help with the DVLA medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Grim

Hi there, just found this forum today, very helpful! My girlfriend and I both lost our licenses a couple of years ago, me 3 years for DD and she for six. Months drunk in charge ( I know! Long story!) after all the medical rigmarole ,she got hers back ( two months later than it should have been) but a temp one for a year, this could have been because of enlarged red corpuscles ,we know this because she had an independent test at the hospital the same day for peace of mind but the doctor said this was to do with vitamin b12 deficiency due to something else and not alcohol. I was just going to say just before that ran out the DVLA sent a form for a new one and she didn't have to do another medical plus it was free, saying that the new one is also only for a year so we'll just have to see this year!

i just wanted to ask if anyone here has done the steer clear course as I'm booked in in a couple of weeks, does it help with the medical etc?

Also I went to the doctors about 18 months ago depressed and drinking too much and he helped me stop but I was thinking of not mentioning that on the questionnaire and maybe asking my doc not to mention it either? Any thoughts anyone?

thanks in advance

Hi there, just found this forum today, very helpful! My girlfriend and I both lost our licenses a couple of years ago, me 3 years for DD and she for six. Months drunk in charge ( I know! Long story!) after all the medical rigmarole ,she got hers back ( two months later than it should have been) but a temp one for a year, this could have been because of enlarged red corpuscles ,we know this because she had an independent test at the hospital the same day for peace of mind but the doctor said this was to do with vitamin b12 deficiency due to something else and not alcohol. I was just going to say just before that ran out the DVLA sent a form for a new one and she didn't have to do another medical plus it was free, saying that the new one is also only for a year so we'll just have to see this year!

i just wanted to ask if anyone here has done the steer clear course as I'm booked in in a couple of weeks, does it help with the medical etc?

Also I went to the doctors about 18 months ago depressed and drinking too much and he helped me stop but I was thinking of not mentioning that on the questionnaire and maybe asking my doc not to mention it either? Any thoughts anyone?

thanks in advance

Hiya,

I cannot possibly say for sure but my understanding is that if you have misused alcohol in the past 6 months or been dependent in the last year before your medical then this will be an issue but equally they do ask a lot of questions in relation to the last 3 years and it is likely as I seem to recall that you will be answering yes to some of those questions if your GP has been helping you in relation to alcohol within that time frame...There is a link to the current questionnaire on this site but I cant quite remember where it is now and am off too bed but will look tomorrow.

I cannot comment about whether you should withhold information as that would be unethical of me.....I very much doubt that a GP would withhold information that he or she is obliged to answer (with your consent) if you ask them too....I would be rather worried if they did...from what you have said I think it might be likely that when coupled with the CDT blood test they may either a) write for further information from your GP in relation to alcohol and indeed if you are on any meds for depression this may be looked at too and depending on those results along with your blood test results make a decision from there..... or b) possibly give you a shorter term licence if the blood test was borderline (amber) (click on the medical link here and scroll down as it explains the procedure for the medical and what they may do)....or they may do something else such as just give you your licence back but from what I have read it is likely they may write to your GP because your visit to the doc and his help to reduce drinking was within 3 years...but don't quote me.....

Good luck,
Moodle

I haven't done the course so cant help you with that one.

Hiya,

I cannot possibly say for sure but my understanding is that if you have misused alcohol in the past 6 months or been dependent in the last year before your medical then this will be an issue but equally they do ask a lot of questions in relation to the last 3 years and it is likely as I seem to recall that you will be answering yes to some of those questions if your GP has been helping you in relation to alcohol within that time frame...There is a link to the current questionnaire on this site but I cant quite remember where it is now and am off too bed but will look tomorrow.

I cannot comment about whether you should withhold information as that would be unethical of me.....I very much doubt that a GP would withhold information that he or she is obliged to answer (with your consent) if you ask them too....I would be rather worried if they did...from what you have said I think it might be likely that when coupled with the CDT blood test they may either a) write for further information from your GP in relation to alcohol and indeed if you are on any meds for depression this may be looked at too and depending on those results along with your blood test results make a decision from there..... or b) possibly give you a shorter term licence if the blood test was borderline (amber) (click on the medical link here and scroll down as it explains the procedure for the medical and what they may do)....or they may do something else such as just give you your licence back but from what I have read it is likely they may write to your GP because your visit to the doc and his help to reduce drinking was within 3 years...but don't quote me.....

Good luck,
Moodle

I haven't done the course so cant help you with that one.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I haven't had a drink for quite sometime now and had a blood test a couple of months ago, everything was normal so I should be ok with their tests,(I'm not on any meds at all btw) I saw the form on here so maybe I'll take a copy to my doctor and ask him what I should say. Is it just possible though, that if all my tests are negative, that they might not contact my GP?

Thanks again

DVLA may well not contact your doctor if there are no concerns.
the reason you are advised to be honest at the medical is this:
You tell DVLA on the form, and assert at the medical, that you have no medical problems and have not drunk alcohol for some time. They do a check with your doctor and your background comes out, how kindly do you think they look on a person who has seen the doctor in the recent past for depression and alcohol issues (they look back over the past 3 years generally at your health) and is a liar....?
It is far better to be honest, and get the support from your doctor to show that you have put this bad period in your life behind you. OK, it might mean that you only get a 12 month licence initially, but to me that is better than being refused a licence because you lied, if they do check.
the steer clear course is the Drink Drive Rehabilitation course, run by AA Drivetech. On the course they will cover the process for applying for your licence back, including the medical, but will not go into a great deal of depth as to what the medical actually entails.

hi,
Thanks for the reply, yes you're right, I should be honest, I just got a bit worried yesterday when I saw the form! But hopefully the doc will write a letter in my favour if asked ,can only hope for the best now I suppose!

Thanks again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off