Had my licence revoked from GP concerns, how do I get it back ??

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rossco1927

Hi
Friday the 13th 2019 the DVLA sent me the letter to hand in my license on the back on some concerns from the GP
6 months.
I have been to the GP twice and they are unclear of what to do and the DVLA have told me to speak to the GP. what is the process, who do I see, who do I pay ? Im lost as too it seems are my GP.

So, presumably they have revoked your licence last year ? I had a similar situation in that, after surrendering on GPs advice, when I re-applied, I was told that six months had to elapse for alcohol misuse and twelve months for alcohol dependency. They didn't state which though but they spoke to my GP and I had my licence back (albeit a one-year restricted one) five months after surrender. At least with surrendering in the first place you can still drive whilst the re-application takes place (which I did for three weeks until I got the misuse/dependency letter-effectively a refusal and "thou shalt not drive!")

It should be the DVLA managing this. If you've re-applied for your licence and they have further medical questions, they should have, at least sent you the letter saying that they are making enquiries with your GP and it may take up to six weeks.

If you haven't re-applied yet and your GP says you are fit to drive, then fill in the application form along with the relevant questionnaire from the DVLA website (https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving)

(I'm assuming that the issue is alcohol-related??)

Didn't the revocation letter tell you what to do and when you could do it ?

Bacchus

Thanks for this. The letter stated see the GP and they are clueless, I will have to write to the GP once again and make sure they help this time instead of pushing me away and telling me to get a solicitor !! I have ordered the DR1 form and will send off asap. Did you have to show them blood tests ?

Hi rossco before applying for your licence back you will need to check with your own GP that he agrees that you are medically fit to drive and there are no alcohol issues or mental health issues, the DVLA may of revoked you for alcohol issues and if this is the case then for misuse you need to have controlled drinking (14 units per wk) logged with your GP for 6 months and in some cases `liver function tests, if they have classed you as dependent then you need 12 months abstination logged with your GP, liver function tests to cover a whole year and a last alcoholic drink date documented with your GP, if you have been revoked for mental health issues or both then you can expect DVLA to investigate, however if your GP feels that you are medically fit to drive then you need to apply with a D1 for your car and motorcycle `licence, on application then DVLA will send out the necessary forms (DD2,M2) to your GP for him to complete and to start medical investigations, only and when DVLA have finished their medical investigations including a DVLA medical and gathered all the necessary information will they make a decision to issue a licence or not, the process can be and often is a very long one, for me personally it was 14 months when DVLA made a decision to relicence me.....

Thanks for this. The letter stated see the GP and they are clueless, I will have to write to the GP once again and make sure they help this time instead of pushing me away and telling me to get a solicitor !! I have ordered the DR1 form and will send off asap. Did you have to show them blood tests ?

No - not at all. The GP did take bloods every week for a month in order to declare me fit to re-apply as I started off with GGT of 817 ! (No, that isn't a typo). Only bloods the DVLA had was a couple of years later at their HRO medical in order to get a non-restricted 10-year licence rather than the annual waiting game to see whether I could still keep my job.

My GP was quite good - apart from initially dobbing my high blood GGT to the DVLA in the first place in the wake of that bin-lorry crash in Glasgow when the BMA/GMC? dictated 'less emphasis on the old Hippocratic Oath Lads !!'

Is GGT always related to alcohol consumption? I thought I drank a little too much, but last year at a healthcheck my Gamma GT was 33 (normal range 0-71).

Yes mate and GGT is associated with inflammation and damage to the liver from alcohol, 33 is a very good healthy number, this is the enzyme the doctors use to diagnose how severe someone's drinking is....

Yes mate and GGT is associated with inflammation and damage to the liver from alcohol, 33 is a very good healthy number, this is the enzyme the doctors use to diagnose how severe someone's drinking is....
A severe alcoholic can expect to run into the 1000s....

Raised GGT can also be due to certain prescription medications (e.g.Methotrexate which I was on years ago) and also if you have a non-alcoholic fatty liver.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off