GP report to DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pippawags

I have recently requested my medical records as I am appealing in Sheriff Court. My GP has redacted the information she supplied to the DVLA ( I haven't seen my GP in three years btw). Can she do this.

This is the advice on redacting information that doctors are given:

The extent of disclosure
You can 'black-out' part of the record or withhold specific documents which relate to third parties, unless you are able to get consent from the person named. Information about the patient written by other healthcare professionals involved in their treatment may be disclosed. This can be a complex area and you can seek advice from our medico-legal advice line before proceeding with the request.

I’m not sure if ‘third parties’ was intended to cover DVLA, it would make more sense if it meant other living persons, as this could disclose confidential information about their health.
you could try from the other end, and make a “subject access request” to DVLA to supply you with all information, correspondence and data that they hold on you.
Are you appealing to be granted your licence back early, after 2 years or half of your sentence? In which case a medical report to DVLA does not really matter as they are not involved in the court process. You have to show a change in your circumstances and how others will benefit from getting your licence back early. Hardship does not normally. Count, because the whole idea of the ban is that you are being punished.
If you are appealing against a decision to not grant you your licence back on medical grounds then the report is relevant, but you should be aware before you spend money on this that DVLA normally win!
Last year, over a 6 month period, the Medical Advisory Panel were informed that the legal department had won every case that they went to court over where someone appealed to be given their licence back after a medical refusal and claimed court costs against the applicant. (This could be up to £2-3,000)
Now they didn’t say how many cases this involved, but it does show that the courts normally side with DVLA.

Reactions: TPR
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off