Getting to my wits end

Convicted Driver Insurance

P t 82

Hi all been watching the threads for awhile and they have been a great help.
I seem to be having a real difficulty getting my license back with problems at every turn and it is now getting really worrying as my no claims bonus will be lost in a week or so.
I sent off for my licence on the 15th of October having thought I would receive a letter to prompt me and didn’t so got the d1 form and sent off having re read my course notes as I had completed it the March beforehand and miss understood the process. Anyway sent it off and received back on the 18th of November asking me to book a medical as a high risk offender I knew I would have to do this. Was very lucky to be able to get an appointment on the 24th of November which I duly attended. After a couple of weeks I thought I would give the dvla a call and find out what was going on to be told I was not eligible for my license as the court had not added my course reduction to my ban, many phone calls and much bureaucracy later a week or so this was changed on the license check. Another call to the dvla to ask for progress to be told they had my results in and to wait. I did again for a week then called again to be told they had the letter from my medical but not the blood results. So please wait again which I did until the 23rd of December which would be the 21st working day after my medical apparently the most time it should take. Called again to be told no results and they would chase them but the call centre would be shut over Christmas but the back room staff would continue to chase it. Fast forward the 4th of January call again blood results are now in just waiting to be uploaded. So called again the next day to be told ‘o’ they have been uploaded but your account is paused as you are not cleared to drive by the court which after a little discussion they realised was in correct and would forward it on to yet another section for approval. Call again to check progress as it seems they only way to get the process moved on at all, to be told they now required my medical records on account of answering yes to mental health problems. Anxiety which as I understand it now is standard practice but why if they have had the paperwork since the 11th of December has it not been done before. Anyway was told that the paperwork is in the post. Which 2 days later I have not received I know I am getting petty now but this whole process has taken nearly a quarter of a year and I now have no idea how long the doctors report takes/ involves and my no claims runs out very shortly and I am trying to run my business that I need to be able to drive for now as the person I have been paying to drive me has retired and I thought this would be sorted now. My question is this normal and is there anything else I can do and do I need to worry about the doctors bit as have mentioned 3 years ago I was drinking a bit more due to my anxiety. But that’s all under control now. Sorry for war and peace just don’t know what to do anymore. Many thanks

Hi P t

I feel your pain, the whole process of the medicals, the DVLA and the GP make for a logistical nightmare, and now with lockdowns and tier systems it’s put the DVLA back even further.
Im due my license back Sunday, after a very what can be described as a “shitty” phone call with the DVLA I’ve been told to be patient basically, I’m in the queue for the medical team to review without a timescale which personally I find appalling.

I was pretty much spoken to like something stuck to the bottom of “Kyle” the DVLA phone operators shoe, I get I broke the law, I get I committed a crime but the regret and the way it’s impacted my life I have more than paid the price.

Went to court faced my punishment, paid my fine within 3 days, completed my ban, done the DD course as asked of me, and I can’t be given a rough timescale as to when my license will actually be back to me? It’s like I’ve said to DVLA I’ve a car currently sat in SORN, do I start to look for insurance? Do I not bother?

to add insult to injury my medical was 20th November lost paperwork that I had to recover not the DVLA, if I hadn’t called to ask I would still be sat now clueless!!!

persistence keep bugging them keep annoying them!!

TCB1989

Interesting that my local police force GMP has been put into 'special measures' recently because of their complete and utter shambles at failing to record and investigate 80,000 crimes last year. That's potentially 80,000 victims of crime let down and ignored!

The DVLA is also public body that is letting people down every single day, which is evident by the comments on this forum - maybe they need to go into 'special measures' too!!!

I completely agree with the arguments here - they are making it worst by hiding behind the smoke screen of Covid restrictions which is appalling.

Most public service organisations seem to be answerable to a public body like a Complaints Bureau or an Ombudsman, but the DVLA do not seem answerable to anyone which I think is part of the problem because they have every one of us over a barrel.

I'm more than three weeks over due for my licence and it is all wrong. What I would say to anyone reading this thread is that hindsight and experience of being banned from the road is one of the few positive things we all gain from our mistake and I've certainly had my eyes opened by how the DVLA treats it's clients.

CJ

Yeah mine was due on the 20th of November so also getting on for 2 months past that but to be fair I now realise I should of applied earlier rather than wait for a letter live and learn.
sorry to hear you are also experiencing a nightmare but nice to know I am not the only one.
the whole experience has been a nightmare from the probation service to now. I get I have done wrong and I understand I should be punished but I thought that is what I got charged with and the punishment passed down by the court but for 2 years of nearly continually having to chase and push things forward it’s unbelievable.
having never been in any sort of trouble before it has been a real eye opener and you can certainly see why some criminals reoffend if this is the best our government can produce in the form of supposed rehabilitation.

Yeah mine was due on the 20th of November so also getting on for 2 months past that but to be fair I now realise I should of applied earlier rather than wait for a letter live and learn.
sorry to hear you are also experiencing a nightmare but nice to know I am not the only one.
the whole experience has been a nightmare from the probation service to now. I get I have done wrong and I understand I should be punished but I thought that is what I got charged with and the punishment passed down by the court but for 2 years of nearly continually having to chase and push things forward it’s unbelievable.
having never been in any sort of trouble before it has been a real eye opener and you can certainly see why some criminals reoffend if this is the best our government can produce in the form of supposed rehabilitation.

My probation was supervised by a company called Interserve who were appalling.

Chris 'Failing' Grayling completely messed up the prisons & probation service by farming out contracts to inept companies like Interserve, G4S and Serco - the latter has made a complete clusterf**k of the recent 'track & trace' programme.

Thankfully I 'blasted' my community service punishment in under a month to get the incompetent jobsworths off my back.

The DVLA seems to be a completely different beast - it's almost like a political animal with bureaucracy and red tape designed to suit their own agendas and not those of the people they actually serve.

CJ

I’m due mine back tomorrow (8th jan) but had no letters or call after my medical on the 7th December. I’m guessing I’ll be waiting a while too then! 😬

My probation was supervised by a company called Interserve who were appalling.

Chris 'Failing' Grayling completely messed up the prisons & probation service by farming out contracts to inept companies like Interserve, G4S and Serco - the latter has made a complete clusterf**k of the recent 'track & trace' programme.

Thankfully I 'blasted' my community service punishment in under a month to get the incompetent jobsworths off my back.

The DVLA seems to be a completely different beast - it's almost like a political animal with bureaucracy and red tape designed to suit their own agendas and not those of the people they actually serve.

CJ
It took them 6 months to give me a placement and that was after continually pressing. They then got me into umpteen re Hab sessions or what ever they call them and cancelled nearly everyone as I was the only person that turned up and several they cancelled as they had no one to take them and at a 1 hour round trip on the bus was not very happy.
I am only glad I didn’t have to do it this year god only knows what people are going through with it this year.
I just can’t understand why it’s so complicated or to be honest what they are trying to achieve with these hro medicals if your blood is normal why do they need to check with your doctor as surely if you have had a problem with alcohol surely it is better someone is seeking help. that’s surely a good thing. makes no sense to me.
I suppose the only thing to do is try and keep the chin up but the way it’s been going I am just waiting for the next piece of non sense for them to dream up.

I’m due mine back tomorrow (8th jan) but had no letters or call after my medical on the 7th December. I’m guessing I’ll be waiting a while too then! 😬
Sorry mate I fear you may be at the start of the roller coaster strap in it’s going to be emotional! But I sincerely hope it isn’t and you have no problems 😀 but definitely give them a call

I was fortunate obviously classed as a HRO for not providing a specimen but managed to avoid the community order completely, £700 odd fine and a 22 month ban

Sorry mate I fear you may be at the start of the roller coaster strap in it’s going to be emotional! But I sincerely hope it isn’t and you have no problems 😀 but definitely give them a call

well nothing through in the post, no reply to emails and the number I have for the Dvla medical office just hangs up on me. This is going to be fun

well nothing through in the post, no reply to emails and the number I have for the Dvla medical office just hangs up on me. This is going to be fun

Be persistent with the medical number its very temperamental some times just hanging up but the odd occasion it does put you in a queue admittedly it is a nightmare.

0300 790 6806 is it that one?

Jon

Yes it is mate. Its a friggin nightmare getting through. I've commented previously, but I suspect the contact number is switched through to laptop software like 'Storm' which may have been set up if DVLA staff are working remotely.

CJ

Yes I'm in a similar boat. They have messed me about with the medical, my ban should expire in a fortnight but my medical has still not taken place yet. I appreciate they are busy with a pandemic but they have not even been a slight help. It's making me more anxious

I have just rang the Doctors surgery again where my medical is supposed to take place for an update on the waiting list but they just said there is still a long waiting list and couldn't give me an answer as to when my medical is likely to be. I can deal with having my licence back a few weeks late but it's all the uncertainty and the fact they can't even book a date in for the medical that is upsetting me.

I have just rang the Doctors surgery again where my medical is supposed to take place for an update on the waiting list but they just said there is still a long waiting list and couldn't give me an answer as to when my medical is likely to be. I can deal with having my licence back a few weeks late but it's all the uncertainty and the fact they can't even book a date in for the medical that is upsetting me.
Yes it’s ironic that they have to check with your doctor about your mental health but there is absolutely no consideration to how this senseless drawn out process effects the people they are so happily to treat poorly and keep in the dark around things that really effect their futures. Stay strong 💪

It took them 6 months to give me a placement and that was after continually pressing. They then got me into umpteen re Hab sessions or what ever they call them and cancelled nearly everyone as I was the only person that turned up and several they cancelled as they had no one to take them and at a 1 hour round trip on the bus was not very happy.
I am only glad I didn’t have to do it this year god only knows what people are going through with it this year.
I just can’t understand why it’s so complicated or to be honest what they are trying to achieve with these hro medicals if your blood is normal why do they need to check with your doctor as surely if you have had a problem with alcohol surely it is better someone is seeking help. that’s surely a good thing. makes no sense to me.
I suppose the only thing to do is try and keep the chin up but the way it’s been going I am just waiting for the next piece of non sense for them to dream up.
I am still waiting to be given a placement. I have 150 hours to do 😫. I have emailed interserve so many times regarding it. My case manager was changed and they didnt inform me. At one point I was emailing my old case manager. God only knows what is going to happen with it. I'm told I have 1 year to complete it, so that's up until middle of September. With lockdown I'm assuming none is getting placements. If anyone has any insight please let me know? Thanks

I am still waiting to be given a placement. I have 150 hours to do 😫. I have emailed interserve so many times regarding it. My case manager was changed and they didnt inform me. At one point I was emailing my old case manager. God only knows what is going to happen with it. I'm told I have 1 year to complete it, so that's up until middle of September. With lockdown I'm assuming none is getting placements. If anyone has any insight please let me know? Thanks
Hi
Sorry to hear you are doing your community service now it must be a nightmare. All I can suggest is keep on at them as they will systematically forget about you misplace paper work and get everything wrong! If you can get an email for your case work even better as you can keep a log of all your efforts to fulfil your order. As if you get to the end of your year if you have evidence of making every effort on your part to do the community service it can not be put down to your fault. Hope this is helpful good luck

Lizzie

Make sure you have kept a full record of any phone calls or e-mails to Interserve. The capital 'I' also stands for Inept or Idiots.

If you are not having much joy with them getting you a placement before September I would strongly advise speaking to a court clerk at the Magistrates Court where you were banned and getting the issues documented by them. Maybe ask them for advice - the pandemic has been something of a game changer for all public services.

Technically speaking Interserve can always refer you back to the Court if they are unable to facilitate you at this time and the court could make an alternative order such as a home detention night time curfew which might not be a hardship as we are currently under a friggin lockdown where they are advising us all not to leave our homes.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off