Getting licence back - totting up ban

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all,

I received a 6 month totting ban in December for drunk in charge. My ban is due to expire at the end of June.

I'm wondering if I will be able to get my licence back in time for the ban expiring, I have read that the DVLA is not processing applications from people who are not key workers, however there is conflicting info on gov.uk regarding this

https://www.gov.uk/reapply-licence-revoked states that you can reapply if you're not a key worker, however the only information is for drunk driving disqualifications, not for totting up bans).

Has anyone reapplied for their licence since the lockdown began?

PS Thank you all for your advice in December.

Last edited:
Hi buddy am in the same boat,my ban ends on the 11th June.when did you come across that information about reapplying for your licence as I’ve not seen it before.it doesn’t say you carnt apply for your licence back.

The link you have provided is for general advice in “normal” times.
There is a link at the top of this page That gives the current situation. It is NOT specific to drink drivers, it relates to applying for your licence back after disqualification.... it doesn’t say what you were disqualified for, so it includes a “totting up“ disqualification.
Save for key workers and HGV, it says:
“We are unable to deal with any other paper applications until further notice.“
I have posted on other messages on here about not applying at the moment because of the likelihood of such applications being dealt with far slower than those that are submitted when DVLA invite applications to resume.

Thanks for your replies.

Am I correct in thinking that if I post form D1 to the DVLA, even if they do not process it yet, I will still be able to drive under RTA Section 88 once my ban expires? I'm not an HRO and I meet all the criteria listed in INF188/6.

The requirements here (among others) say that you can drive so long as the DVLA has received (which I take to mean not necessarily read or looked at) your application and there are no medical questions relating to the application, which there aren't.

Last edited:
No mate section 88 only applies to medical renewals of existing licences. You have been banned so cannot drive until the DVLA re-issue your licence.

Hi all -

My ban is up on the 16/05 and I contacted the DVLA as I'm a key worker and wanted to clarify who they are defining as key workers. I was under the impression that they were only considering HGV drivers and NHS staff, however, it's more wide scoping than that. As I have a certificate from my employer in the event of being stopped by the police I was advised to complete my renewal, and I was given a specific address and instructed to mark it for the attention of a specific person. It was also recommended to enclose my certificate together with an argument explaining why my renewal should be processed.

Thankfully I received my licence 5 days later and I'm good to go effective from midnight on the 15/05.

So... if anyone is a key worker in any capacity, it's worthwhile calling them for clarity.

Hope this helps?

Hi all,

I received a 6 month totting ban in December for drunk in charge. My ban is due to expire at the end of June.

I'm wondering if I will be able to get my licence back in time for the ban expiring, I have read that the DVLA is not processing applications from people who are not key workers, however there is conflicting info on gov.uk regarding this

https://www.gov.uk/reapply-licence-revoked states that you can reapply if you're not a key worker, however the only information is for drunk driving disqualifications, not for totting up bans).

Has anyone reapplied for their licence since the lockdown began?

PS Thank you all for your advice in December.
I've been there, and luckily knew the magistrate and got mine back ASAP. However, if you don't have a connection like I did, you're screwed. I'd have a few hot toddys or some warm pints and call it a day. Since the lockdown, you're barred from a license until 2023.
Cheers mate.

Whilst giving out advice to go on the piss is not the coolest advice I have to say, what with the odd whiskey here the odd chaser there maybe a can of bow for good measure or maybe a flagon or two of the old white lightning will soon rack up your CDT levels in no time at all , as a matter of fact CDT can be raised in as little as 24 hrs and if your trying to get your licence back then I'm afraid this is not the way, and can take months for your liver to return to normal
not to mention becoming dependent on the way, however if you are a raving alcoholic who takes chances in life, albeit drink drive, CDT tests, then continued flow of the amber nectar is a must under doctors orders or until your liver splits and you can drink no more lol, or not forgetting about alcoholic seizures, yessss sit back relax and shovel em down, gulp, gulp, great start to getting your licence back......and when you do attend your DVLA medical God knows where your CDT will be.....

Whilst giving out advice to go on the piss is not the coolest advice I have to say, what with the odd whiskey here the odd chaser there maybe a can of bow for good measure or maybe a flagon or two of the old white lightning will soon rack up your CDT levels in no time at all , as a matter of fact CDT can be raised in as little as 24 hrs and if your trying to get your licence back then I'm afraid this is not the way, and can take months for your liver to return to normal
not to mention becoming dependent on the way, however if you are a raving alcoholic who takes chances in life, albeit drink drive, CDT tests, then continued flow of the amber nectar is a must under doctors orders or until your liver splits and you can drink no more lol, or not forgetting about alcoholic seizures, yessss sit back relax and shovel em down, gulp, gulp, great start to getting your licence back......and when you do attend your DVLA medical God knows where your CDT will be.....

I’m pretty sure this guy is a wind up, therefore the 2 posts in the hour that the account has been registered can be taken with a truck load of salt.

Hi all -

My ban is up on the 16/05 and I contacted the DVLA as I'm a key worker and wanted to clarify who they are defining as key workers. I was under the impression that they were only considering HGV drivers and NHS staff, however, it's more wide scoping than that. As I have a certificate from my employer in the event of being stopped by the police I was advised to complete my renewal, and I was given a specific address and instructed to mark it for the attention of a specific person. It was also recommended to enclose my certificate together with an argument explaining why my renewal should be processed.

Thankfully I received my licence 5 days later and I'm good to go effective from midnight on the 15/05.

So... if anyone is a key worker in any capacity, it's worthwhile calling them for clarity.

Hope this helps?
Hi, replying on my sons behalf, his ban was up on 17th May, sent application 5 weeks ago, nothing back. Tried daily to contact DVLA, cannot get through, how did you get hold of them? My son has a new job offer which is dependant on him having a DL, if not the offer will be revoked, he is demented at the moment, thought he was about to get his life back on track.

Hi, replying on my sons behalf, his ban was up on 17th May, sent application 5 weeks ago, nothing back. Tried daily to contact DVLA, cannot get through, how did you get hold of them? My son has a new job offer which is dependant on him having a DL, if not the offer will be revoked, he is demented at the moment, thought he was about to get his life back on track.
The dvla are not accepting applications until further notice.

If it is a job as a “key worker” as regards COVID-19 they will entertain an application to get his licence back, but if he is a High Risk Offender and needs a medical, that is a different story. Look elsewhere on here for the difficulty people are facing with medicals.....

If it is a job as a “key worker” as regards COVID-19 they will entertain an application to get his licence back, but if he is a High Risk Offender and needs a medical, that is a different story. Look elsewhere on here for the difficulty people are facing with medicals.....
,Hi, not a HRO, and job is as a contractor working on Water Industry, which is deemed a key worker , his issue is he cannot contact anyone, the numbers have a message saying they are only dealing with key workers then it cuts off, it is so frustrating that a Gov agency like this has basically just shut shop.

Hi..

It did take me a few attempts to get through as I think they're runing on Skeleton staff at the moment so I would def persevere as I eventually reached an advisor who was very helpful.

Are you ringing the dedicated number for key workers as its different from the main number?

Hi..

It did take me a few attempts to get through as I think they're runing on Skeleton staff at the moment so I would def persevere as I eventually reached an advisor who was very helpful.

Are you ringing the dedicated number for key workers as its different from the main number?
Thanks everyone, he has now thankfully got through, they have admitted his previous application will now be lost, so he has to apply again, but he has been given a dedicated person to send to, so hopefully it will be rushed through. Very helpful once he got through which took about 4 days of trying at different times of the day.

Thanks everyone, he has now thankfully got through, they have admitted his previous application will now be lost, so he has to apply again, but he has been given a dedicated person to send to, so hopefully it will be rushed through. Very helpful once he got through which took about 4 days of trying at different times of the day.

Glad to hear it. Will most likely be the same address and person I was given. I got mine back within 5days (Inc the weekend) so hopefully your son will have the same experience.

All the best

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off