Getting a USA visa (travelling to america with a drink driving conviction)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Re: Getting a USA visa

Sorry guys.

I forgot my password to my account and I've been reading all the messages with frustration that I couldnt post. By luck I remembered it and I am now back :cool:

I got in, no problems at all!

Filled in ESTA and declared no convictions of moral turpitude previous to flight.

Then on plane had to fill in form which asks 'Are you carrying plant material/food? etc.

Landed at US customs.....this is where I got very nervous. I'd had a few beers on the plane as Virgin offer a free bar :eek: terrible temptation.

Walked up to the humourless customs officer which makes you even more nervous.....they ask you simple questions for example, 'what is the puropse of your trip?'

Also photographed me and fingerprinted (Which I was also nervous about.) and waved me through once me and the missus completed it. Got my bags and scrammed straight to a taxi before they called me back :D

No worries. Just act normally, you'll be fine.

America is a fantastic place....wish I could live there to be truthful.

Hey, he's back!

Great to hear first hand that you can get straight through customs with no problems. I think I understand about the nerves, I can imagine being a wreck just before talking to the customs officer.

I just know I'm going to be shaking like a leaf, funny you should mention getting out asap...I've already warned my other half as soon as I'm through, I'm legging it out of the building in case they change their mind :D

Good news that BT Boy. My course tutor has already intimated that you need a visa and I suspect that will be reinforced in the coming weeks. When he does so, I shall produce your story!

My course tutor said that as well. I piped up about what I'd found out here and through other online research. He said that he had done his own online research and found stories of people being turned away at customs and sent home.

I'm yet to find a single story where that happened to anyone. I've Googled things like "refused entry to USA because of drink driving" in attempts to seek out stories but have so far drawn a blank.

Something worth noting is that the document linked to in this previous post...

Taken from here;
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074/kw/moral

"Another common error is to answer "Yes" to the question about having been arrested or convicted for a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT), assuming that driving under the influence of alcohol or simple assault is considered a type of that crime (it isn't.) You can look here for a more detailed description of CIMTs."

So looks like you wont need to worry. I have taken a print-out of this page to show at US customs if necessary.

...has been updated in January of 2011 to say

"Another common error is to answer "Yes" to the question about having been arrested or convicted for a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT). You can look here for a more detailed description of CIMTs."

Note that it no longer specifies drink driving...

Had just started feeling a little bit more confident with BT Boys post, thought maybe I'd be ok. But now, oh I dont know, do I still chance it or what? My kids will be devestated :( The fact that they have actually changed the wording is whats worrying, it makes me think there must be an issue with it, or am I over analysing? What to do what to do.......

It does still say on the PDF that it links to that drink driving is not considered a crime involving moral turpitude, so there is still current documentary evidence to say that you don't have to answer "yes" on the ESTA form.

Yep, I've just read it all (twice) the wording still different though, it says as long as it wasn't done with other factors. Hmmmm I already have my ESTA, applied a few months ago when I was in a confident mood :D wish somebody else was going before me so they could report back.

Stop worrying!
Trust me you'll be fine.
I'm nearly 100% certain.

I was in the same state you was in before, now I look back and think 'what a wally'....:rolleyes:

Just enjoy the holiday and when you do arrive, don't say or do anything to grab the customs officer attention.

They ask the same questions to everyone and fingerprint, photograph everyone.

With regards to the wording change on the pdf doc, i'll have a look now but I went on 14/01/11 so if its been produced before that then even more reason not to panic. :p

Please read my previous posts.

I forgot to add that i actullay emailed borders and customs in Washington DC and asked them out right, is drink driving a crime invloving moral turpitude and a reason to refuse me entry for my Florida holiday?? They replied to me and said NO!! A DUI (which is what they call it) is not a reason to refuse persons entry to the USA and should not be included as moral turpitude. I was in the same boat this time last year. I even spoke to Lawyers. I got into the USA and enjoyed my holiday as will you!!

PLEASE PLEASE dont worry about it. You will get in fine!! =o)

Re: Can I obtain a C1/D Visa if I have a Drink Driving charge?

Hi, bud. I'm applying for the same thing, a c1d visa. Did you get yours ok. How did it go. I was done for dd 14 years ago and have to go to the embassy. Did it come up when you did your fingerprints.Please let me know, cheers .Laugh out load. I'm putting no on the application form

Can anyone help me. I'm going in person to apply for a c1d visa and had one previously which expired a few years ago. I was caught for dd, 14 years ago, but still got my c1d visa 10 years ago as back then you didn't have to go directly to the embassy.this was after the conviction. It's for working on a cruise ship. This time when they scan my fingerprints will it come up as I beleive they don't have that information . Please can anyone help who was and is in the same situation as me. Many thank, laugh out loud!

For anyone who's interested following our recent discovery of the changed text on a page that had previously specified that drink driving wasn't a "moral turpitude" offence, I've just found two current pages on the US Customs and Border Protection website that may set some minds at ease.

The first one clearly states that

A DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/402

This second one says

The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI) conviction, although if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/736/kw/dui

Thanks for that, the only thing is that doesn't say if that refers to applying for a visa or if it's general with the ESTA... Is not a lot I can do about it now except hope for the best. 6 weeks to go :D

Hi all,

Like many others I have read this forum with a combination of excitement and tredipation. I fly out ot Las Vegas February 2012 to celebrate my 30th Birthday. I have a DUI from 4 years ago and wasnt sure on if it was a moral turpitude issue or not. I emailed US Border control asking if I should tick yes or no via a link on this website and have had a reply from an office "Coronado". I have been asked to scan and send my record and they will let me know.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Sam

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off