GDPR

Convicted Driver Insurance

DonkeyKong

Established Member
I’m wondering which clause of GDPR allows your court ban and breath reading to be passed to third-party course providers. And then, what allows them to give that information out to strangers? Or is this publicly available information which is not covered by GDPR?

Whatever is said in court is publicly available, which is why the press can report your personal details when they give details of the case presented in court. Also you are asked if you want to be referred to a course provider, which you pick. If you do not want to be referred, just say no to the course and no information will be provided, but of course..... there is no course..... and no reduction in your ban!

Thank you. I’m very grateful for the course. Just curious about the GDPR aspects, as my job involves working within its guidelines. If the amount I blew on a breathalyser is public information... where can I look it up?

@DonkeyKong, you could try google-searching your name to see if you pop up. If you do it;s likely to be a press report under the 'Courts' section. Mine was :sick:

@DonkeyKong, you could try google-searching your name to see if you pop up. If you do it;s likely to be a press report under the 'Courts' section. Mine was :sick:

Thanks mate. I’m lucky enough to have a very common name, as well as being in common with someone famous. I can find my own rag report, but most people wouldn’t. I also was wondering who is actually passing the court information to the press, as the rag got my address and sentence wrong, which leads me to believe it isn’t via official channels.

Courts are an unusual case in that they are required to be held in public. As such they specifically say they will share personally identifiable information about judicial proceedings with anyone, including members of the public.

GDPR doesn't apply to information that, in their view, is public domain anyway.

My local paper at least publishes names plus the road and town they live in.

Courts are an unusual case in that they are required to be held in public. As such they specifically say they will share personally identifiable information about judicial proceedings with anyone, including members of the public.

GDPR doesn't apply to information that, in their view, is public domain anyway.

My local paper at least publishes names plus the road and town they live in.

I understand. But I do think this is a dreadful situation. It kind of stamps all over the ROA act and the “right to be forgotten” If you get done for drink driving, your crime is viewable for life, and eternity.

I think it is kind of tweaked as far as you can. To have an independent and open judiciary you have to have public access to courts.

But, magistrates courts aren't courts of record, where everything is recorded and judgements published. You can't have your case cited in other cases and they aren't persuasive to other courts.

The change now is that most local papers published online but then as soon as you move house that link is broken.

I think the alternative - closed courts - would be much more scary :oops:

I get what you’re saying... but .. in 200 years time... my ancestors will be able to see that DonkeyKong was a drink-drive criminal. No matter that ROA says it was spent. The local rag might be last weeks toilet paper, but it is archived for ever (see WaybackMachine)

I suspect in 200 years time people will have no idea what driving is, and certainly won't believe even sober humans were allowed to carry out such a task.

Anyway look back through history - all the people having fun were the ones who had a skinful once in a while ;) imagine if you found out your 200 year old self had been done for drink horse riding. I'd be immensely pleased!

I suspect in 200 years time people will have no idea what driving is, and certainly won't believe even sober humans were allowed to carry out such a task.

Anyway look back through history - all the people having fun were the ones who had a skinful once in a while ;) imagine if you found out your 200 year old self had been done for drink horse riding. I'd be immensely pleased!

Or imagine your 200 year old self had been done for ruining the life of some poor unfortunate soul going about their everyday business riding their bike to work and having the misfortune to be thrown into a ditch by some p**sed up idiot driving to a shop get some fags at 7 in the morning. Still immensely pleased?

Or imagine your 200 year old self had been done for ruining the life of some poor unfortunate soul going about their everyday business riding their bike to work and having the misfortune to be thrown into a ditch by some p**sed up idiot driving to a shop get some fags at 7 in the morning. Still immensely pleased?
Sorry mate, I’m not going to give you this. I didn’t hurt anyone. I didn’t hurt myself. Absolutely nobody was hurt by what I did. The fact of what *might* have happened applies to the millions of people who have a couple of beers at lunch time, or on the way home. What *might* have happened to the people texting on their phone. Or what *might* have happened to the people who were so tired they started to drop off at the wheel. For most people, you simply don’t face the consequences because you are not caught. I will never ever drink and drive again. I can’t afford to. That does not mean my whole life should be ruined because of a mistake.

Sorry mate, I’m not going to give you this. I didn’t hurt anyone. I didn’t hurt myself. Absolutely nobody was hurt by what I did. The fact of what *might* have happened applies to the millions of people who have a couple of beers at lunch time, or on the way home. What *might* have happened to the people texting on their phone. Or what *might* have happened to the people who were so tired they started to drop off at the wheel. For most people, you simply don’t face the consequences because you are not caught. I will never ever drink and drive again. I can’t afford to. That does not mean my whole life should be ruined because of a mistake.

I'm not asking you to 'give' me anything. Does what might have happened but didn't in all of those circumstances you outline make it wrong to be held to account? It's precisely because of what 'might' happen that the laws and punishments exist. Crimes are viewable for eternity because of the nature of the technology that now exists and such information will no doubt become even more indelible in the future. No-one can change that. In any event, is your life really ruined? Will anyone care in 200 years? Will anyone even care in 20 years? I'm guessing probably not.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off