Gaining Employment After Conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Anonymous91

Hi all new to this and was hoping to get some general advise or hear of any stories of people explaining their conviction to employers.

I am 25 and committed the crime of drink driving, plead guilty and got a 12 month ban, shortened after a completion of the rehabilitation course. I just finished my last session!

I get my licence back in October and this all good and all that, but the part that's getting me down is having a criminal conviction. I have to declare it.

Has anyone on here successfully got a job after such a short time after their conviction? I'm stuck in a stop gap job for now but I really was hoping to branch out and I need to hear from positive people that have made it out and lead successful lives after their conviction!

I really hope to hear from you lot,

Cheers

Reactions: Dre
I got done back in 2012 and a few years later applied for various home support work jobs (driving to peoples homes and helping them) I told all 3 I applied for that I had a DD conviction and they didn't care. Ironically I didn't go ahead with that line of work as IMO they were the real criminals when I read the small print. They didn't even ask for the job I have now.

I just work part time as a cleaner, well it's full time part time as 5 days a week. Done it for years and where I live there is only seasonal work, and a job like that they don't care. Only time they'd ask is if working in a school or something like that and run a full background check on you.

I wouldn't let the conviction stop you from applying for jobs unless you are worried the news would spread about what comes back on the check, they can't say anything and if they say no you never have to see or speak to them again, keep trying and do what you want to do.

Ironically me getting caught was the best thing that happened to me, the girlfriend I was with at the time was totally useless and would be pick me up an hour or so late each day (full time cleaner back then 12 hours a day at various sites) got sick of her moved back home with my mother got myself a job and a new girlfriend who knows everything and couldn't be happier.

To anyone else reading this, if you get caught and the people beyond your close family are unsupportive, get out now and see it as a way to make a new life, in the year or two that your ban exists use it to build yourself up not just from being caught but to better your life. It's what I did and I don't look back and think wish I'd never got caught, I probably have a very unique experience in this regard but it made my life a lot better than it was 5 years ago.

That's isn't to say I condone what I did, but it did shake my life up and get me back on track to building a future.

I wouldn't worry about it, I got a new job in a university after completed a enhanced dibs check. It shown drink drive, possession cocaine and multiple shoplifting.

Hi all new to this and was hoping to get some general advise or hear of any stories of people explaining their conviction to employers.

I am 25 and committed the crime of drink driving, plead guilty and got a 12 month ban, shortened after a completion of the rehabilitation course. I just finished my last session!

I get my licence back in October and this all good and all that, but the part that's getting me down is having a criminal conviction. I have to declare it.

Has anyone on here successfully got a job after such a short time after their conviction? I'm stuck in a stop gap job for now but I really was hoping to branch out and I need to hear from positive people that have made it out and lead successful lives after their conviction!

I really hope to hear from you lot,

Cheers

Some jobs could be off limits such as working with children, teaching, teaching assistant, and work in schools etc, working in positions of trust such as in a bank of building society and it may be impossible to obtain work permits to work in the USA or Australia and possibly the EU after we leave EU, although that may only apply to any convictions obtained after withdrawl from the Union.

Certainly any professional driving jobs such as bus or HGV driving will be off limits for a long time and joining the police is not possible until 10 years after conviction!

The criminal record is spent after 5 years but not in the case of the careers and jobs I mentioned above sadly the rehabilitation of offenders act doesn't go that far and other countries don't recognise it.

I'm yet to decide how I will approach this. I am considering moving on from my current employment as I'm not being paid anywhere near my market value, however it will have to wait until I get my license back.... and of course, I will have to openly admit that I lost my license.

I have seen some forms say "Do you have any non-motor related criminal convictions"? Now is drink driving a non-motor related criminal conviction? Grey area. It's a criminal conviction alright....

Whilst the question is not well worded, I don't think it is a grey area. If you take it literally then taking a car is motoring related, or stealing petrol....
It would relate to unspent criminal convictions, and a drink drive conviction is spent after 5 years under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, so it is disclosabe before then. If you put no, it will show up on a basic 'police check' and cause you problems. Not for the drink drive, but for being deceitful in your application.

You'll find it much easier to get employment with a drink drive conviction compared to something like theft. Obviously it depends on the job, but generally employers are reluctant to employ people who've proven themselves to be dishonest.

Personally I think drink driving is no joke (innocent people don't get killed by shoplifters), but it's an offence that is really starting to lose its credibility.

There was a time where for you to be convicted of drink driving - you'd have to be 'drunk' and actually driving a car, then breathalysers came in with hard limits and now they've started introducing even lower limits.. to the point where you can have a drink driving conviction after drinking 1 pint of beer. As far as i'm aware, you get the same 'criminal record' as the guy who crashed on the motorway after 15 pints?

So i'd say as the rules have got tighter, more employers would actually read the application of someone with a drink drive conviction. And if they like what they read then maybe they'd give you a chance to prove yourself?

Last edited:
Ive had many jobs since my conviction and i would say honesty is greatly appreciated by the potential employer. Everytime I have to disclose it I keep it brief, yes it happened, if they delve into how, where and when that is when I find it to be intrusive and irrelevant and ask to move on, shows that my past is past, I dont work for the past. I have given what is required by law and everything else is none of their business, I always ask if the disclosure can stay confidential between whoever needs to know, if it was to get out later down the line I wouldnt hesitate to attempt a claim for leaking of personal information, it is a issue yes but it shouldnt haunt you, move on, if they cant accept it, are they worth working for?

Any chance I could get a courier driving job with a drink drive conviction, does anyone know what type of DBs check they carry out cheers

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off