First time offence - 113mg in breath

Convicted Driver Insurance

owen1731

A few days ago I drank some whiskey and then attempted to drive ~3 miles home. The journey was along quiet country roads and I was driving between 20-30 mph, unfortunately a deer jumped in front of my car and I swerved into a tree to avoid it. Obviously this is my fault, not the deer's. The car has been written off but there was no damage to third person property, no collision with another automobile, and no injuries to myself or others.

The Police arrived and I was taken to the station to be breathalysed - 113mg in breath

I have been driving for 2 years, I am a full-time student, this is my first drink driving offence but I do have 3 points on my licence from speeding. I was fully cooperative with the Police and the officer gave me a lift home after the interview because I was so compliant.

I feel absolutely awful for doing what I did. I have since stopped drinking and plan to visit some AA meetings in my area. Do you have any advice on what I should provide in a mitigating plea? Or any idea at the type of sentence I will be facing - I truly hope I do not get prison time but I am aware I was well over the limit while driving.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

Unfortuanly it is a very high reading and the Court will be taking it very seriously.

You asked about mitigation but I think you should hire a good lawyer and have them go through this with you. I personally feel that at low levels having a lawyer is a luxury but I high levels it is a necessity, and as I say they would help you with the preparation.

Kind regards
Martin.

Good Afternoon,

Unfortuanly it is a very high reading and the Court will be taking it very seriously.

You asked about mitigation but I think you should hire a good lawyer and have them go through this with you. I personally feel that at low levels having a lawyer is a luxury but I high levels it is a necessity, and as I say they would help you with the preparation.

Kind regards
Martin.
I am not sure that I can afford one at this time. Do you think that I will be able to get a duty solicitor on the day given the seriousness of the case?

You will get one for the first day but if it goes to a second they cannot represent you twice I believe.
Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it a lot! Are there any things you think I should focus on promulgating during mitigation, or equally avoid saying based on my case?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off