First post need advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

Stevenb

Hello.
I have never been prosecuted for drink driving or any motoring offence for that matter but this seems the best place to get advice.
To cut a long story short after a night out i was attacked defended myself and ended up getting prosecuted.
In may 2018 my hgv medical was due and to my shock my gp said i was alcohol dependant resulting in revocation of all my licences. My quandry is after jumping through all dvla hoops it seems to me they are treating me as a high risk as im having to do the blood tests and the medicals the only difference is they got blood tests and medicals done by my gp first and then said they want the dvla medical. The other difference is i do not have to pay for the dvla medical but after checking with my gp who at dvla request did all blood tests for alcohol they all came back fine but dvla still insist on the 2nd medical and bloods. Any help or info as to how thus works would be greatly appreciated

My guess is your gp sent them standard Liver Function Test (LFT) results. dvla use CDT testing now, as it is more specific to alcohol, and I doubt your gp even knows what CDT is. If it is such a shock for you to suddenly find out you are "alcohol dependent", I would ask your gp specifically why they think that. It is not uncommon for a gp to be judgemental, and not really know the definition of dependence, and to have decided based on your reported consumption alone. I would also recommend you get a copy of your medical notes through a 'subject access request', and see exactly what has been going on. It is possible to drink to extremely high levels without any effect on your LFT results.

Thanks diesel2 the bloods requested were i know ggt and cdt levels and also im not sure if i got this right but also alt and ast.He based his decision of dependance on the amount i drank the night of the incident. The gp is one i very rarely see who knows nothing about me so i can only think he taken a dislike to me so will be making necessary enquiries as to why and if decision was correct as if he thought i was dependant he should have told me to surrender my licences and if i did not he is bound by law to tell dvla himself as i wont go into details but the surgery i am in have been working closely with me for years for various medical issues which include regular blood tests and the question of alcohol dependance or abuse has never been mentioned. So i feel cheated as this has cost me my job and my car and ruined kids christmas

Get your medical notes first, you're fighting blind until then. Unfortunately he is not bound by any laws as such, but is expected to inform dvla if he thinks you are a danger to the public. The GMC has issued guidance to that effect, but it is not 'legally' binding.
It hasn't happened this way, instead, he has answered an enquiry from dvla, and based his views on what is is your notes, and whatever he decides counts as dependence. Unfortunately dvla can take anything they want as proof of dependence,the dont have any actual standards, and your gp's opinion would outweigh any number of blood tests. You can appeal any dvla decision, but as i say, you need to know what has been said and why first. There is no requirement for your gp to inform the patient of a decision either, or to double check any facts, which of course is ridiculous, but that's the situation you are in.

You filled out the form allowing the DVLA to contact your GP. Your GP filled in the form from your summary care record, which details the previous three years.

If you ask your GP surgery for your summary care record and it doesn't have any alcohol issues on there then you have a case against the GP then you have a valid complaint but it seems a racing certainty there is something as the GP will know you will find out the result.

You should contact your GP surgery and ask for your medical record under GDPR. Once you have it if there is any incorrect information then you have the right to have it corrected under GDPR. However, the pragmatic approach would be to book an appointment to see them first or ask to change GP.

In regards to tests, it's unusual to rely on NHS tests because the process from GP to hospital labs is fairly insecure because very few people want to relabel specimens. The DVLA process is much more secure.

In the end the DVLA process is very black and white. You need to find out why exactly they think you were dependent on alcohol, otherwise the only way to get your licence back if your GP says you have been abstinent for 12 months.

Hello tipsyNurse
My gp has already confirmed 12 months abstinence from alcohol and he based his decision on the one incident in 2017 made first mention of it in may 2018 and then confirmed abstinence in july 2018 so what confuses me is why did dvla request my gp to get the blood tests to then send me to a dvla doctor to get the same done again why not do like on all other cases i read on here and send me to dvla doctor first it seems they just want to waste time

Essentially, the DVLA are totally mad. As soon as you start analysing on the basis they are logical you are on the wrong track.

There was a report someone posted on here from Ombudsman detailing the number of people who have had pointless tests or needlessly delayed licences. Monkeys and typewriters come to mind.

Aint that the truth guess i just need to keep bashing my head against the brick wall that is dvla . hopefully get licence soon but phoned dvla doctor to make appointment they dont have me on file despite letter being sent on 31.12.18 guess its just another dvla blunder gonna get licence sorted then deal with gp as I dont have the energy to do both at once.will post with update if i ever get one thanks for all the helpful tips

Your HGV would require 3 years of
Abstinence if found to be dependant! However from what you have said it sounds like they have a knee jerk reaction to your incident back in 2017

Be mindful of anything you answered regarding weekly safe units of alcohol current guidlines 14 units per week* but what they never explain is HGV is lower than 14 units but not actually set guildlined! Hence why there's a grey area and many get punished for nothing. I lost my HGV for admitting binging on my days off! But DVLA see these days as recouperating rest days your not supposed to abuse alcohol am not saying that's you! but it was my pattern.
Do please keep us informed

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off