Fall on my sword

Convicted Driver Insurance

bpw

Hello!
After some incredibly poor decision making last Saturday, I got in my car a couple of hours after having had some beers.
I drove barely 40 yds before I mistimed driving around an empty parked car and crashed into the back at around 15mph, too slow for the airbags to be deployed. I exchanged details with the driver who wasn't in the vehicle and was unharmed, and waited for the police to arrive who, after breathalysing me, arrested me for blowing 43.
I've admitted my guilt from the outset at every opportunity and this is the first time I've had any dealings with the police or justice system at all.

At court, my instinct is to carry on that honesty, apologise profusely for my actions and take accountability for my actions without the services of a solicitor, whatever the result, as I can't afford solicitor's fees.

Am I being naive to think it'll be no worse without a solicitor?
How much bearing does the financial means test have on the scale of the fine?

Good Morning,

If you were at 43 and had no accident I would agree that the need for a solicitor would be limited, however because of the accident the sentence will increase dramatically. It is called an aggravating feature and will make the sentence far greater, but how much more will depend on what is said on your behalf. It is something you can do yourself but obviously a lawyer would usually get a better result.

As to the financials, the Court work out a fine based on your income.

Kind regards
Martin.

Reactions: bpw
Thank you, Martin.
I apparently have mitigating factors in my favour, from what I've read (first time offence, short distance driven, plead guilty from the start...), but with the collision, it can't hurt to have a solicitor who can help me with the nuances of putting my side across.
Thank you again

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off