Failed CDT medicals?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Geroge0V

Can anybody please share with me if they've failed a CDT medical since the new system has been in place? In advance, sorry to hear if so.

Be useful to know

How long before your medical you stopped drinking

How much and often you drank leading upto the medical

Thanks for sharing any information

Can anybody please share with me if they've failed a CDT medical since the new system has been in place? In advance, sorry to hear if so.

Be useful to know

My advice would be to simply not drink at all for a good period of time leading up to your medical.

I was 14 weeks prior and CDT was 0.5. I like a drink just like the rest of us, but getting my licence back meant so much more, so I was able to just cut it out.

If your not able to, then there’s maybe questions to be asked 🤷‍♂️

My advice would be to simply not drink at all for a good period of time leading up to your medical.

I was 14 weeks prior and CDT was 0.5. I like a drink just like the rest of us, but getting my licence back meant so much more, so I was able to just cut it out.

If your not able to, then there’s maybe questions to be asked 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hear it! Stopping drinking is no problem at all. I'd explained in another threat that I passed a CDT 3 years ago when I was socially drinking most nights and had just been on holiday drinking everyday. So I assumed seeing as I've recently drunk less than back then, I should pass no problem.

HOWEVER, I've been informed on here that the test has changed. I am due for my medical in 2 weeks. I'm trying to guage from others who have recently done the new and improved (more accurate) medical to see if I would fail by not stopping sooner. I haven't drunk since Wednesday so would be 16 days. Can re book for later date but not very convenient with the current climate

Geroge0V

The CDT is quite robust if you are a HRO. I believe it has to be lower than 1.5%, but a few on the forum say it has to be below 1.0% to hit the DVLA green zone.

As Grantyone has stated, the longer you can abstain the better. Another factor to consider is age - as we all get older our bodies are not necessarily as adaptable to the recovery process after a heavy intake of alcohol.

As a 20 odd year old, I think all of us could do regular weekends on the piss and have a two week lads holiday in Ibiza with none stop booze morning day & night, then have two weeks 'drying' out and bag a low CDT score!!!

However, as a 40 odd year old, the goal posts change and it can take a long time for the body to get a low CDT reading from a lifestyle of regular alcohol consumption. I'd say it would probably take weeks if not months to reach a target below 1.0%.

Even then the human body is deceptive - I've not consumed alcohol for 15 months but my last LFT was slightly higher than normal which could be down to a number of factors.

Too much salt, too much sugar, too much cholesterol, too much yeast, too much protein, too much citrus..........I could go on about other impact factors that can affect LFT readings.

The CDT readings are however specific to alcohol so I wouldn't worry too much if you are slightly overweight or you eat too many breakfast McMuffins.

I think we could all get a little bogged down by the medical 'whys & wherefores', 'do's & don'ts' of achieving maximum health scores but it would be pointless and unnecessary.

The CDT is a seemingly simple process. The DVLA don't expect you to be in perfect health but they do expect a low/good score which is only achievable by a lengthy period of alcohol abstinence.

CJ

Be useful to know

I have failed ... Lost my "grandad rights" had to wait 12 months then had a 6 month wait to get a 12 month licence which has now expired and I'm sat waiting again.

I have failed ... Lost my "grandad rights" had to wait 12 months then had a 6 month wait to get a 12 month licence which has now expired and I'm sat waiting again.
How did you fail?Were you drinking right up to the medical, or a substantial amount then didn't give yourself enough time?
I'm guessing you are allowed to drive on a section 88 or whatever that is...A few people have "rolled the dice" and have either passed or not been brave enough to post it on this forum...Good luck on your next medical as I'm sure you are prepared..

How did you fail?Were you drinking right up to the medical, or a substantial amount then didn't give yourself enough time?
I'm guessing you are allowed to drive on a section 88 or whatever that is...A few people have "rolled the dice" and have either passed or not been brave enough to post it on this forum...Good luck on your next medical as I'm sure you are prepared..
1st time round I was drinking up to 48 hours before the medical and 6 pints a day had a CDT reading of 4.1 had to wait 12 months then to reapply .. stopped drinking completely 21 days before .. CDT reading of 0.8 was granted a 12 month licence

1st time round I was drinking up to 48 hours before the medical and 6 pints a day had a CDT reading of 4.1 had to wait 12 months then to reapply .. stopped drinking completely 21 days before .. CDT reading of 0.8 was granted a 12 month licence
Why only a 12 month licence?

I've decided to delay my appointment just in case. Do not want to be waiting 6 or 12 months to retake. I've stopped drinking entirely now until the medical (also due to lockdown). That gives me 34 days, can't see me failing that!

I've decided to delay my appointment just in case. Do not want to be waiting 6 or 12 months to retake. I've stopped drinking entirely now until the medical (also due to lockdown). That gives me 34 days, can't see me failing that!
I have my medical on the 5th December it will be 32 days without a drink by then, what are your normal drinking habits?

I think that would be fine to be fair.

As I said, it was 14 weeks for me, and it returned 0.5. I had a private test at around 8 weeks without alcohol and that returned 0.8.

Although I was confident of passing, I done the private test simply for reassurance. Cost £100.

A cdt of over 4 has been classed as misuse before yet dependency as it's over 3,so possibly dependency was flagged up therefore the 1 year licence.
My understanding is 0 4 (the lowest I've seen) to 1will see a return of your licence with a favourable report from your gp for dependency on your records...I feel that my gp who I've never met,just spoke on the phone asked me more questions about misuse/abuse and the timeframe..even if is decided that it was dependency I've still got axstopped date,2 good lft tests over the latter 6 months, and my course to reduce my 36 month disqualification by nine months will realistically be 2 months
21st June end of ban
26th November medical
They have already got my gp information
Will see how long it takes for my bloods to be tested!

4.4 and was drinking daily up to medical.
HI there ive my medical Thursday week 3/12 and am freaking out a bit . i have a history of dependancy and misuse over the years with my doctor and been on and off the drink for a while now. normally do about three months off then go on it for about three weeks and need to phone doctor for librium to help me get off it. lost my licence for drink driving two years ago got a 12 month ban. then i got caught driving whilst disqualified last year and got a further 8 months. I also received a 2 monthr suspended sentence for 3 years. went on a 3 week binge recently before that hadnt drank since July. off it again now for about a week and a half. anyway basically wondering if i lie on the questionaire and dont pass the blood test. will i end up in court?? or do you think they just refuse your application??

HI there ive my medical Thursday week 3/12 and am freaking out a bit . i have a history of dependancy and misuse over the years with my doctor and been on and off the drink for a while now. normally do about three months off then go on it for about three weeks and need to phone doctor for librium to help me get off it. lost my licence for drink driving two years ago got a 12 month ban. then i got caught driving whilst disqualified last year and got a further 8 months. I also received a 2 monthr suspended sentence for 3 years. went on a 3 week binge recently before that hadnt drank since July. off it again now for about a week and a half. anyway basically wondering if i lie on the questionaire and dont pass the blood test. will i end up in court?? or do you think they just refuse your application??

The only advice I am going to offer is that you should face up to your problems with alcohol and address them.
You have been done for drink driving,
You ignored the legal requirement to not drive whilst banned
Now, faced with the process to get your licence back, you have gone on a 3 week binge...... and you are asking if you can get away with lying on the medical!
Take responsibility for your own actions and do not seek to drive and put others at risk until you have.

I think your in for a long haul application with at best to slight chance of a temporary licence subject to your CDT reading . But I would think you will be to high but we are all different as are our bodies

Yes have to agree with the comments here if you want your licence back you will need to demonstrate 12 months of sobriety followed with liver function tests all showing normal and your GPs support and of course the Dvla medical with a cdt not more than 1.0 on investigation your doctor will reveal your past medical history and this then will result in a refusal , answering no to all questions (lying) will almost certainly prompt an investigation....

thinking of telling the truth and waiting another 12 months. Although im thinking of booking into a private clinic to get a test done first. I dont know what to do really. My conscience is playing havoc with me which is normally not a good sign.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off