End of one-year license period: will I need another medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

antihawk

Hi all,

I was done for drunk in charge of a motor vehicle in June 2018 and was classified as a high-risk offender. I did the medical and got 1.4% CDT. I eventually received a temporary one-year license ending in January 2020. Hence, I will be applying relatively soon for a new one.

My question is: Do people who have been issued a temporary license need to take another DVLA Medical? And if so, do we need to pay for the second one?

Moreover, I'm not sure how they decide when to issue temporary vs permanent licenses. I'm trying to anticipate what I'll get this time. The CDT test will be no problem and I haven't had any treatment/accidents/medical conditions from alcohol -- I can answer "No" truthfully to all the questions during the Medical.

So my second question: How do they decide when to give a HRO a permanent vs temporary license?

Thanks in advance.

I will let others answer about their experiences of getting further temporary licences or full ones, but answer one question: you do not have to pay for your medical after the first one.

I read on other posts you don’t have to pay for a second medical but that’s only what I’ve read on this forum

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off