Employment with a charity

Convicted Driver Insurance

Idiot101

I am a project manager and looking to get a new job once I get my licence back in October.

A couple if great opportunities have come up with charities but I would assume that all charity jobs come with DBS check (even if I am a real estate project manager?).

My conviction will not be spent at the time I get my licence back and so it will come up on a basic DBS check.

It is not a “driving” job I’d be applying for, although I would have to drive for the role to sites etc, which won’t be an issue as I’ll have my licence.

Does anyone have any experience of applying for jobs requiring disclosure of the offence and if its juts pointless me looking at any jobs like this for now.

Thanks

I am a project manager and looking to get a new job once I get my licence back in October.

A couple if great opportunities have come up with charities but I would assume that all charity jobs come with DBS check (even if I am a real estate project manager?).

My conviction will not be spent at the time I get my licence back and so it will come up on a basic DBS check.

It is not a “driving” job I’d be applying for, although I would have to drive for the role to sites etc, which won’t be an issue as I’ll have my licence.

Does anyone have any experience of applying for jobs requiring disclosure of the offence and if its juts pointless me looking at any jobs like this for now.

Thanks
The majority of companies do not really care about most convictions (apart from violence, theft, fraud etc.). As long as if you are asked if you have a criminal conviction, you confirm that you do (while it is unspent) - this is usually at application stage - then it doesn't tend to be a problem. After the initial disclosure, there is no need to bring it up unless it is asked again.

It causes problems if you don't declare and then it comes up, as this is dishonest and you are legally required to disclose whilst unspent.

If the conviction is seen as not relevant to the job, and they are not going to give you a fleet car etc. then I think you'd be fine.

The majority of companies do not really care about most convictions (apart from violence, theft, fraud etc.). As long as if you are asked if you have a criminal conviction, you confirm that you do (while it is unspent) - this is usually at application stage - then it doesn't tend to be a problem. After the initial disclosure, there is no need to bring it up unless it is asked again.

It causes problems if you don't declare and then it comes up, as this is dishonest and you are legally required to disclose whilst unspent.

If the conviction is seen as not relevant to the job, and they are not going to give you a fleet car etc. then I think you'd be fine.
Thank you - really appreciate you replying ☺️

Thanks
I believe most jobs now require a standard DBS check which will show a Dr10 conviction. Then it’s up to the future employer to decide if they employ you . Quite a few charities are happy to take on unpaid workers serving community service knowing what their conviction was . So I don’t see why just because you would be getting paid it would make any difference .

Thanks
My 2 DR10 convictions meant I could not work in the job I applied for.

Apply - it’s definitely not pointless.

In the past I have been told to reject a candidate for a job based on the fact he had a drink driving conviction. Although when I have been the one disclosing my convictions, I have been incredibly surprised at just how accepting my previous employers were and I personally have never had an issue. I was cleared to work in schools a few years after being convicted for drink and dangerous driving as well as other offences. I even know a few teachers with convictions ranging from assault to possession.

You may be rejected, you may not. In a lot of cases it will be entirely down to the individual/decision maker looking at your application. But overall I would say the amount of people willing to look past it and give you a chance is a lot higher than what you might think it is.

Apply - it’s definitely not pointless.

In the past I have been told to reject a candidate for a job based on the fact he had a drink driving conviction. Although when I have been the one disclosing my convictions, I have been incredibly surprised at just how accepting my previous employers were and I personally have never had an issue. I was cleared to work in schools a few years after being convicted for drink and dangerous driving as well as other offences. I even know a few teachers with convictions ranging from assault to possession.

You may be rejected, you may not. In a lot of cases it will be entirely down to the individual/decision maker looking at your application. But overall I would say the amount of people willing to look past it and give you a chance is a lot higher than what you might think it is.
Thank you very much! I’ll definitely give it a go and hopefully people can look past it. ☺️

I was recently given a role within the NHS and received multiple interview invitations over the last couple of months. My ban isn’t over for another week. Just gotta be honest on the application form, don’t go into too much detail a simple line will do and just state that it is out of character and wouldn’t never happen again.

At the interview, it was brought up and they asked the circumstances leading up to the incident, and what happened on the night. They stated clearly that it wouldn’t have any effect on my interview. I was honest (not too honest) but stated it wouldn’t ever happen, and kept it simple again. 2 hours later they called back to offer the job. No DBS was done in the end, as I had been honest from the get go on my application. This is a hybrid role by the way.

I was recently given a role within the NHS and received multiple interview invitations over the last couple of months. My ban isn’t over for another week. Just gotta be honest on the application form, don’t go into too much detail a simple line will do and just state that it is out of character and wouldn’t never happen again.

At the interview, it was brought up and they asked the circumstances leading up to the incident, and what happened on the night. They stated clearly that it wouldn’t have any effect on my interview. I was honest (not too honest) but stated it wouldn’t ever happen, and kept it simple again. 2 hours later they called back to offer the job. No DBS was done in the end, as I had been honest from the get go on my application. This is a hybrid role by the way.
Congratulations on the new role!! That’s really great news that it didn’t affect your chances. Good luck!

A lot of those convicted of DUI and sentenced to community service (as well as a fine and ban) end up working in charity shops. It would seem a little remiss if they accepted volunteers, but would exclude staff/management with the odd indiscretion. After all, charity begins at, erm… work!

And - as kind-of said above - it isn’t the crime of the century. I think you’ll be OK as long as you explain it well.

IIRC one of the posters here (DaveW) works in a charity shop, he might know or be able to help. Drop him a line!

A lot of those convicted of DUI and sentenced to community service (as well as a fine and ban) end up working in charity shops. It would seem a little remiss if they accepted volunteers, but would exclude staff/management with the odd indiscretion. After all, charity begins at, erm… work!

And - as kind-of said above - it isn’t the crime of the century. I think you’ll be OK as long as you explain it well.

IIRC one of the posters here (DaveW) works in a charity shop, he might know or be able to help. Drop him a line!
Thank you very much! 😊

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off