DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks Andycabs,

Good luck with your medical too...In retrospect it was just a glorified LFT (unlike England), which he couldn't get over quickly enough, and the "questions" were just distracting irrelevancies...lol

I've had three LFT's done in the last year and they were all fine (even prior to my rehab) so unless you are a chronic drinker you should be fine too....I've even allowed myself to think about re-taking the driving test...We drunk drivers are a bit of a cash cow for the DVA:rolleyes:

Hey Strontium,

Had my medical today and like you I was very underwhelmed. The appointment was for 10.10, I was there for 9.50 and the Doctor arrived at 10.15. Like you I was out in 10 minutes. He asked for photo ID which was not mentioned in the letter, just lucky I had my work pass with me.

The Medical was identical to how you described, he checked my lower eye, tongue and I had to hold out my hands. I was asked a barrage of questions and didn't have time to think as he was more or less just ticking 'No' to them as he was asking me the questions. He then took blood, told me he would get the results back in about 2 weeks, if I didn't hear from him in 3 weeks then I should assume the results were fine and he had informed the DVLA.

I did not entertain any small-talk with him, noticed the face mask he had on the window sill. Just glad its over. I hope to pass the blood test. I have been taking Milk Thistle tablets and drinking lots of water for a fortnight. I had a few drinks last weekend but nothing major. He asked me the last time I had a drink, I very nearly said last weekend but got out Xmas / New Year.

Anyway, I assume you have not heard about your results yet. Let me know how you get on with the results.

Got a letter this morning from DVA...says they've completed their medical investigation and I have been granted a license for 10 years and not subject to medical review...license will follow shortly

Exactly five months since I applied

Now the theory test!!!

Hey Strontium,

Good News about the Medical.

I phoned Dr. Bell's secretary today as its just over 2 weeks since my medical. She informed me the results had been received and she would be sending notification to DVLA tomorrow to inform them that my medical results are fine and that I should expect to receive the 10 year driving licence also. I assume that will take another few weeks to get the licence in my hand.

Just relieved that part is over and like you its the Theory Test next. I got a few of the DVD's on ebay at a reasonable price. I will also have to get a loan now to purchase a car !!

Good news AndyCabs...
Also it seems we will have to fork out for the "extended driving test" and can't book it online...see if you can garner any info about that

Well its been over 4 weeks since my medical and 2 since the Doctor's secretary confirmed I had passed the medical and she would by sending the confirmation to Coleraine.

I phoned Coleraine today and after some investigation they medical department still had not received the confirmation letter !!

It took about 10 phone calls today to the Doctor's secretary - finally spoke to her and she checked my file and stated she would fax the confirmation to Coleraine. I can only assume she had forgotten to send the letter as she didn't even say she had sent it etc...., not even an apology.

I phoned Coleraine later this afternoon who confirmed they had received the fax and as they work on confirmation letters in date order it would be towards the end of next week before I will receive my letter and probably another week before I receive the provisional licence.

I was raging this morning as that is 2 wasted weeks due to negligence by the Doctor's secretary but I suppose only another few weeks until I get the licence in my hand.

Thanks Strontium, when I phoned Coleraine last week I was told they were probably working on it and to leave it a another week.

When I phoned Coleraine yesterday I was told the same thing and to leave it another week. It was only going by your timescales as to when you got your letter and licence I knew something wasn't right.

It took 3 phone calls to Coleraine yesterday before the call handler contacted the Medical Department - who confirmed they still had not received the letter. I asked if I contacted the Doctor's Secretary could she fax or call the Medical Department to say the Medical report had been lost in the post etc.... and I was told that the original report had to be sent by Post !!

After speaking to the Doctor's Secretary and she said she would fax the report I again contact Coleraine and another call handler stated a copy by fax was acceptable !!

Again I contacted Coleraine later that day who confirmed the fax had been received and yes I had passed the medical and would be issued with a 10 year licence but as stated previously it will be another few weeks before I get the letter / licence.

It is very frustrating to have to wait another few weeks and as you said its the ineptitude of the whole process. It is now over 3 months since my ban finished and I still feel I have another long way to go before I am back driving again - with the Theory and Driving test etc..... Maybe I should just buy a bike and never drive again - ha ha.

I sympathise Andy...It took 5 months for me (and I applied a month after my ban finished) including the time wasted when they couldn't read a JP's handwriting...
Personally, I am glad Coleraine is being closed, as the stress they caused me waiting for my license was unbearable...I#m currently doing practice theory tests and have it booked for 1-4-14 in Newry (it seems to be a private company)..

I also heard my practical test will involve me driving unsupervised and just given a route and destination, with the examiner following me...have you heard about this?

Strontium,

Am sure a lot of the test has changed from when we originally completed it.

When I had to resit the test in 2004 I had the Theory Test and then there was the 'show and tell' part of the test also which were both new to me.

The Hazard Perception part of the Theory Test - I found the test DVD's are a lot harder than the actual test.

I wasnt aware about the unsupervised part of the driving test. Have a look at the following link.

http://www.2pass.co.uk/independent-driving-test.htm#.Uyoafah_uDk

Strontium, I phoned Coleraine today (late afternoon) to ask how my case is progressing as I didn't want any more hold ups after last week and I was informed my licence was processed today and it will be sent from Swansea within 7 days. They must be taking the work over from Coleraine a lot quicker as I always assumed Coleraine dealt with issuing the licences.

I got home from work and the letter confirming I had passed the medical and would be receiving a 10 year licence had also arrived.

The call handler informed me that I am now legally entitled to drive from today !!

I will now book the Theory Test in the hope I do receive the provisional licence soon. Have the Highway Code and a few practice test DVD's. Hoping it won't be long before I get back on the road. Have to get a loan and purchase a car first as when I was caught driving while disqualified the car got impounded and I couldn't see the point of getting it recovered so it got crushed !!

I wonder if Chris received his licence as when I phoned they are processing applications from 20th March and his ban ended on 17th March.

Good luck Andy...I got "Driving test success 2014" on Amazon for 6 quid and it has NI theory test...I'm generally getting 100% in the questions and about 75% in the hazard perception (it's a farce as if you click when you first see the hazard, it's too early...so you get good a t doing a hazard perception test, rather than driving)...

I'm personally glad those tossers in Coleraine are losing responsibility as I hope it is a trend in bringing things inline with the rest of the UK..

After alot of research I have worked out that if you was convicted of a driving offence before June 2013 you can drive under section 88 while awaiting a medical decision .
NEW DRINK DRIVING LAWS 2013

New Drink Driving Laws - June 1st 2013

NEW DRINK DRIVING LEGISLATION INTRODUCED

NEW DRINK DRIVING LEGISLATION IN EFFECT AS OF 1ST JUNE 2013

New government legislation has been introduced in order to help increase road safety in the UK. The legislation introduced specifically targets drink drivers who are classified as 'High Risk Offenders' and will be effective from 1st June 2013.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 88) - Amended

The most important and major change to current legislation is the amendment to Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988.

Drivers who are classed as high risk offenders are required to satisfy the DVLA of their fitness to drive by taking and passing a DVLA medical examination before the DVLA will issue them with a driving licence. This is to ensure they meet the DVLA medical standards of fitness to drive and they a) are not alcohol dependent and/or b) do not misuse alcohol.

Currently the majority of high risk offenders are legally entitled to drive upon expiration of their driving disqualification and before taking and passing the DVLA medical examination if a qualifying driving licence application has been received by the DVLA under Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988.

This is all set to change as section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 has been amended. As of 1st June 2013, high risk offenders will no longer be legally entitled to drive while awaiting their DVLA medical examination results.

As of 1st June 2013 high risk offenders will only be legally entitled to drive only if and when they take and successfully pass the DVLA medical examination and have been issued a driving licence by the DVLA.

NOTE: The new legislation DOES NOT APPLY where the conviction in respect to which the disqualification was ordered was imposed before the date on which the new legislation commences. The new legislation commences on 1st June 2013. The new legislation will apply to any relevant convictions on or after this date.

Good luck Andy...I got "Driving test success 2014" on Amazon for 6 quid and it has NI theory test...I'm generally getting 100% in the questions and about 75% in the hazard perception (it's a farce as if you click when you first see the hazard, it's too early...so you get good a t doing a hazard perception test, rather than driving)...

I'm personally glad those tossers in Coleraine are losing responsibility as I hope it is a trend in bringing things inline with the rest of the UK..

The hazard perception is the bit where I'm struggling strontium. Do I click early? Do I click late? How many times can I click? etc. It's all a bit confusing!!

Yeah, it's difficult Chris...If you analyse your performance and review the clips, it shows you can get a maximum of 5 for each hazard (when it's first visible to the naked eye) down to 1...

To do this you have to do a hazard perception mock on it's own, without the theory as if you do a complete mock test (both bits), it doesn't allow you to review the clips...try that and see if it helps..

However I tend to click too early and it doesn't register so best click a few times (although rapid clicking earns you a score of 0 for that clip)

Also, it's confusing as, say an old lady is about to cross and you click, the actual hazard (say someone else stepping out), is mere milliseconds after the first, so you tend to be late for it...

It's very confusing (and pretty worthless IMO) but I'm generally getting 75-80% and the pass is 59%...mine is next week too so fingers crossed for the both of us...

Last edited:
Useful strontium, thank you. I'm doing it in Belfast next Wednesday afternoon so hopefully I'll get a bit of practice in beforehand. I think I'm ok with the multiple choice questions but I suppose you never know on the day if you're going to get unusual questions!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off