DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
I understand your anxiety, after all, it is your licence we are talking about, not mine so you have a lot to lose, or gain in this case!
best plan, phone and avoid the situation....
hypothetically, if she put in her report as the examining doctor, things which she had been told in confidence then that would, I feel, break that trust, but again, if she reported what she found, and the answers that you provided, DVLNI could then write to her as one of your doctors for her opinion as your doctor, where if she then disclosed matters of confidence, that would not be a breach of trust. People are usually advised on this forum to apply for their medical, having first obtained their doctors opinion on the application, so they can be confident that if the matter is referred to their own doctor, they can be sure of their support.
If you have told Dr Flanagan about matters that mean that you should not get your licence back, it would be better for you, and other road users, that you do not get it back. You have said that a number of other people have left the unit and driven, are you in a worse position than them, or are you worrying too much unnecessarily?
Either way, phone DVLNI, then put it to one side and enjoy Christmas, worrying will not change the outcome.

I understand your anxiety, after all, it is your licence we are talking about, not mine so you have a lot to lose, or gain in this case!
best plan, phone and avoid the situation....
hypothetically, if she put in her report as the examining doctor, things which she had been told in confidence then that would, I feel, break that trust, but again, if she reported what she found, and the answers that you provided, DVLNI could then write to her as one of your doctors for her opinion as your doctor, where if she then disclosed matters of confidence, that would not be a breach of trust. People are usually advised on this forum to apply for their medical, having first obtained their doctors opinion on the application, so they can be confident that if the matter is referred to their own doctor, they can be sure of their support.
If you have told Dr Flanagan about matters that mean that you should not get your licence back, it would be better for you, and other road users, that you do not get it back. You have said that a number of other people have left the unit and driven, are you in a worse position than them, or are you worrying too much unnecessarily?
Either way, phone DVLNI, then put it to one side and enjoy Christmas, worrying will not change the outcome.
Thanks for the reply...as you can see I'm a natural worrier...I don't intend to phone anybody or do anything until I receive written confirmation of what exactly is going on...

Hopefully I can see Dr Flanagan before the medical as I have an appointment in Jan I think...if she's performing the medical I will object and will tell her why and probably not go back to her in any NHS capacity..

As for the things I told her...it was drug experimenting while at Uni in my 20's (30 years ago) and I wasn't treated for drug problems...my own GP doesn't know and it has no bearing on my life...I also had depression during my divorce several years ago but received no treatment and got over it...I'm not on any medication..

I will keep you all up to date if anything happens...happy Xmas to you too

There was me worrying that it was something serious.......
the most history they will look at is the past 3 years, for alcohol or drug misuse that could impact on your ability to drive now.
from what you say, you will be able to give honest answers to all the questions you will be asked and have no problem with getting your licence back. We all have things in our past that we would rather forget, or wished had never happened. If the Authorities looked at everyone's life store, few of us would be driving!

Hey Strontium - that is such bad luck.

You should wait until you get the appointment letter and confirmed date and time and if the appointment is with your Consultant then you should contact the DVLNI and rearrange another Doctor and location citing the 'conflict of interest'.

I contacted the DVLNI and they wouldnt let me speak to the Courts Section - I was informed again I would get an appointment from the Doctor in 4 weeks but no doubt with the holidays it will be later.

It's sh*t over here in Norn Iron Andycaps...looks like they're in no hurry with your Medical....The sooner they close that dump in Coleraine the better and we can have fair treatment to the rest of the UK...

As far as I'm concerned I've served my punishment...I'm now being punished for seeking help and trying to sort myself out..

Let us know when your notification is and where and good luck with it...

Hi Strontium,

Finally got some movement in respect of the medical. I received a letter today from Coleraine to say I have now been referred to the Medical Advisor to arrange the appointment for the medical - that only took 4 weeks since my disqualification ended!!!!

It didn't give any specific details as to where this will be held but I phoned Coleraine last Monday and was informed it would be in Belfast. At least things seem to be moving but I wonder how long it will be before I get an appointment.

Any update on what is happening with your medical.

No word yet Andycaps...The letter I got telling me I should hear within a couple of weeks was dated 4-12-13....

Got my appointment...A lady phoned me at 5.45pm and offered me an appointment tomorrow morning at 9am...it was too short of notice so it's now on Feb 3rd in knockbracken mental health facility near Belfast (what used to be called Purdysburn)....this is the largest in patient nuthouse in Northern Ireland...

Why in Northern Ireland are drivers sent to the asylum for their medical,,,I take it the Dr WILL be a psychologist, not a normal doctor...

Got my appointment...A lady phoned me at 5.45pm and offered me an appointment tomorrow morning at 9am...it was too short of notice so it's now on Feb 3rd in knockbracken mental health facility near Belfast (what used to be called Purdysburn)....this is the largest in patient nuthouse in Northern Ireland...

Why in Northern Ireland are drivers sent to the asylum for their medical,,,I take it the Dr WILL be a psychologist, not a normal doctor...

How utterly bizarre!!!!

My medical will be performed by a Dr Paul Bell

Professional Description:
Consultant General Adult Community Psychiatrist

Qualifications:
MB Bch BAO, MD, FRCPsych

Department of Psychiatry
Knockbracken Healthcare Park
Saintfield Road
Belfast
BT8 8BH

Hey Strontium,

Good News about the medical. I used to work in Purdysburn, many years ago. Not too sure if they still use the place for inpatients now, maybe day patients.

Its a massive place, you could be walking about for hours trying to find the building you need.

So it took about 5 weeks to get an appointment. When I spoke to Coleraine and asked them where the Medical would take place I was informed Victoria Street in Belfast. I assumed she was wrong as there are more Solicitors and shops in that street and probably meant Gt Victoria Street as I know there is an Occupational Health building for Civil Servants but I could be wrong and will probably end up getting an appointment at Purdysburn also.

Will keep you informed and Good Luck and let me know how you get on.

It is strange that a Psychatrist is going to perform the blood test - I suppose he is a Doctor but still.

I would doubt he will try and pscho-analyse you, he will have to stick to the normal procedures that are required for all DVLA medicals, fill in the questionnaire, answer a few questions, he takes blood and wait for the results.

Hey Strontium.

Going home from work in the bus earlier I got a phone call to ask if I could attend my Medical on Friday 24th January as there had been a cancellation. I initially said yes but thought maybe not as I had been drinking last weekend plus I have a leg infection and am on strong painkillers and antibiotics which I don't want interfering with the test results.

I declined so got the next available appointment - Friday 14th February at 10.10.

It was Dr. Bell's Secretary at Knockbracken who had made the call.

So it seems we are attending with the same Psychiatrist !!

The building name is Rathlin, I think thats what she said as Knockbracken is an extensive property with many different buildings in its grounds, it could take ages to find the building you need. Must check it out to see if there are any maps of the grounds on the Internet.

Good luck with the medical Andycabs...Yeah, mine is in Rathlin house too...will let you know what goes on and what questions etc...would be good to have a bit of a "heads up" on it, so to speak...

Last edited:
Good luck with the medical Andycabs...Yeah, mine is in Rathlin house too...will let you know what goes on and what questions etc...would be good to have a bit of a "heads up" on it, so to speak...

The current questionnaire they use at the medical is on a link on this thread....

Moodle

Thanks AndyCabs...

Well, I have it over and it was quite different to what I envisaged...

Dr Bell is a moustached, long haired type and seemed to be even less keen to be there than I was (as if it was beneath his standing)..

The questionnaire doesn't resemble the English one in any way...it's a page of little boxes on a pink DVA form...He asked if I had any serious medical conditions, who was my GP, how much I normally drank when out (I don't drink), when was my last drink and how much (which I told him), when was I convicted, if I'd ever had the shakes or DT's, ever had an accident through drink (never) and asked me to stick out my tongue, my hands (to check for shakes), pulled down my bottom eyelid (to check for jaundice).

He never asked me about hospital admissions and drugs were never even mentioned.

He flashed through the questions ticking the check boxes before I had even answered, in many cases. I told him I smoked and was on asthma inhalers..

He evaded any direct eye contact and was dry when I tried to engage him in small-chat (I asked about an Anglo Saxon face mask in his office)..as if he was in a hurry

He then took blood and was quite inept at doing so- it wouldn't be the sort of thing his job, as a top psychiatrist, would require of him and a nurse could perform it more adequately...

I could see him putting the blood in the test envelop and it is for a standard Liver Function Test (ALT etc.) done at the city hospital- not the same blood test as carried out in England...

He told me I normally wouldn't hear from him again unless something was wrong in which case I would be told to stop drinking(?) and would have a retest in 6 weeks...He wished me luck and the whole thing took about 5 minutes

At no point was I asked to sign anything, including consent to my GP records..

I'm allowing myself to feel confident as the whole thing seemed a formality...

Thanks AndyCabs...

Well, I have it over and it was quite different to what I envisaged...

Dr Bell is a moustached, long haired type and seemed to be even less keen to be there than I was (as if it was beneath his standing)..

The questionnaire doesn't resemble the English one in any way...it's a page of little boxes on a pink DVA form...He asked if I had any serious medical conditions, who was my GP, how much I normally drank when out (I don't drink), when was my last drink and how much (which I told him), when was I convicted, if I'd ever had the shakes or DT's, ever had an accident through drink (never) and asked me to stick out my tongue, my hands (to check for shakes), pulled down my bottom eyelid (to check for jaundice).

He never asked me about hospital admissions and drugs were never even mentioned.

He flashed through the questions ticking the check boxes before I had even answered, in many cases. I told him I smoked and was on asthma inhalers..

He evaded any direct eye contact and was dry when I tried to engage him in small-chat (I asked about an Anglo Saxon face mask in his office)..as if he was in a hurry

He then took blood and was quite inept at doing so- it wouldn't be the sort of thing his job, as a top psychiatrist, would require of him and a nurse could perform it more adequately...

I could see him putting the blood in the test envelop and it is for a standard Liver Function Test (ALT etc.) done at the city hospital- not the same blood test as carried out in England...

He told me I normally wouldn't hear from him again unless something was wrong in which case I would be told to stop drinking(?) and would have a retest in 6 weeks...He wished me luck and the whole thing took about 5 minutes

At no point was I asked to sign anything, including consent to my GP records..

I'm allowing myself to feel confident as the whole thing seemed a formality...

And once again, how bizarre! But anyway, fingers crossed for you :)
Moodle

Hey Strontium,

Am sure you are glad its over and you should have no problem with the results.

I wont have had a drink for 2 weeks by the time I get my medical so hoping I will be fine. Saying that I got a blood test at my Doctors on a Monday morning and had been drinking on the Saturday night. I asked about the liver results once the test results came back and was told it was normal and there was nothing to worry about.

At least that guy is well paid for taking blood - £179 I think.

It is bizarre as Moodle says, I assumed the questionnaire would be the same as mainland GB. I asked my Doctor about CDT tests on the liver and he had no idea what I was talking about so its just a normal liver test they do.

Hope the result is what you expect and will keep you informed with mine.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off