DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
Good News Strontium - it will also save you some money and be less hassle of doing an extended test.

It took a few phone calls to Coleraine and Pearsons but have managed to book the Theory Test - April 11th in Belfast.

The problem was they had not cancelled my entitlement to drive with a full licence so the computer system still showed I had a full driving licence so I could not book a Car test.

Have to say the guy at Pearsons was great - he initially stated it could take 10 working days to get confirmation from Coleraine but he phoned me back within 5 minutes to say it had been sorted so I booked over the phone.

Now the hassle of reading up on the Highway Code and doing the examples. I will be grey by the time this is all over !!

Good news Andy...I would get that DVD...probably get it in Easons or Waterstones...it's EXACTLY like the real thing...don't waste time with practice sessions...do the mock tests...also if you learn the stopping distance for 70 and 50, it's not hard to work out 40 and 60 mph...lol
It's mostly common sense...

Surprised at the ineptitude of Coleraine yet again....good luck with the test

Thanks Strontium,

Have got Highway Code and 3 DVD's for 2011, 2012 & 2013 - should be enough to keep me going.

I have been doing a few of the Tests, got bored reading the highway code.

I always thought if you arrived at the scene of an accident and someone is in shock you offered them a cigarette - well thats what I would do - ha ha.

Well Guys,

Theory Test passed today: 48 / 50 for Theory & 59 / 75 for Hazard Perception.

Was so nervous - don't know why - I was fine until I sat down at the computer screen and nerves got the better of me !!

Just glad its over and one more hurdle out of the way. Now to hopefully get the Practical Test booked next week sometime and try a few driving lessons.

Thanks Strontium.

Will wait to get the test booked and hopefully get a few lessons. Will be so good to get behind the wheel again.

How long did it take for you to pass the Theory before you can apply for the driving test. I have been trying today but it keeps saying I have not passed the Theory Test and wont let me proceed.

Last edited:
Well done Andy!
The theory pass should register overnight on the DVA system.
For what it's worth, don't rush into the test without a few lessons Andy. I've had 2 and whilst my general driving is ok I'm struggling with the reversing and 3 point turn bit. I can do both easily and safely using my own method but to do it exactly how they want it done is a fekkin nuisance. To be honest I had thought that 2 or 3 lessons would leave me perfectly set to pass first time but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks Chris.

I know I will be nervous once I get into the driving seat, so will probably expect to take a few lessons before I go for the test. Will hopefully get the practical test booked on Monday. There are companies in Belfast that seem to offer 5 lessons for a fixed price, mite try to arrange some lessons with them.

Hi I need some help to i have to have a dvla medical and am really scared done the course to reduce ban(UK) however am on medication for insommnia and anxiety and im worried that this is going to stop me getting my licence back.. I have stopped drinking now and am taking milk thistle but the last year has been awful and i have been back on forth to the doctors due to panic attacks and anxiety so much so the doctor was like we cant keep doing this. I know i did wrong but am lost without my licence and dont have any means to get anywhere at all.. is it likely then now i wont get my licence back due to my medical history?

Well Andy and strontium........how's it going lads? How are the lessons going? I've had 3 so far and am getting the hang of it much better now than I did to begin with. Another one booked for Friday but I'm doing my theory for motorbikes on Friday morning too. With all these lessons and tests I haven't got a minute these days!! lol

Not too well Chris...
I had my first lesson 2 weeks ago and had to cancel the next one last week cos of a hospital appointment...todays was cancelled by the instructor cos he had a tummy bug so I have an hour and a half booked for Friday afternoon in Downpatrick...
My test is next Thurs evening and I'm starting to get very apprehensive as I've had a lot less lessons than I anticipated...I should be alright but one stupid mistake will blow it...I hate this changing down from 4th to 1st sh*t and missing 3rd when changing up,,,,

I am so busy concentrating on this that, chances, are I'll forget to cancel a signal or something stupid..

I mean, why do cars have third gear anyway?...I might abandon this driving style during the test as I'm sure you can't fail for using third gear...

In my day people failed the test for improper use of gears

Strontium, I was the same, I learned to use each gear in turn instead of jumping gears. Have always driven that way and probably always will. There is probably a sheet online which the examiners use for the minor errors, I understand you are allowed 16 of these. What did your examiner say about using the gears.

Chris, I haven't had any lesson yet - will have to stop being lazy and get a few booked. Am not sure whether to go with a driving school or to get an independent instructor. Looking online some are offering 5 lessons for £69 in Belfast. Will start searching and defo book a few for next week. Its just the cost and was hoping to only take a few but I reckon a lot more will be required.

I was thinking about doing the Motorcycle test also as I would love a moped but read before you can ride on the road you have to do a CBT course and the cost is quite expensive and also not sure I want to go through the Theory test again.

Forgot to ask how much is a typical driving lesson - have heard some charge up to £30 per hour.

My test was booked for 6th May but I got a cancellation today for this Saturday so I'm going for it. It's my birthday on Saturday so I hope it's a good omen!

Chris, how did you get a cancellation - did you check online or are you phoning the Test Centre !!

I checked Online at NIDirect and the next available test is at the end on May !!

Yeah...I tried on NIdirect and it says an error has occurred as I already have a test booked...do you phone the test centre?...I'm now worried I might fail

Strontium, on the NIDirect site on the page to Book the Practical Test - further on down the page there are 3 options to check / change / or cancel your appointment.

Select change your appointment - it lets you look at other dates available at the test centres whilst still keeping the one you have booked - you wont loose that.

That's it Andy. I originally booked my test a few weeks ago and have been checking for a cancellation a couple of times every day since but nothing was coming up. The test centre told me they just have access to the same system so they don't have any dates other than what the computer shows. Then yesterday I checked again and there was one available. Remember though, if you do get a cancellation make sure you check to make sure that your instructor is available before you hit the button on it. If the new date is within 3 working days you can't change it back and will lose your fee. Also, if you have to change to another date then it'll probably be at least a couple of weeks later than the original appointment you have cancelled.

Chris, I went and booked the motorcycle theory test - Monday 12th May.

Was reading the Highway Code about mopeds and it states :

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you are qualified to ride a moped without L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), although it is recommended that you complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your car driving test after this date you MUST complete CBT before riding a moped on the road.

Would that apply to myself as I passed the driving test well before 2001. Or now that I have been banned and got a Provisional Licence will I still have to complete the Theory Test / CBT Course and the Practical Test for a Motorcycle before I can drive on the road.

My Provisional Licence lists the following categories for the Motorcycle - AM/A1/A2/A.

I would only expect to be Category A1 - motorcycles up to 125cc.

The whole thing is too confusing.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off