Dvla writing to GP

Convicted Driver Insurance
Had my medical 15th november. Still waiting on dvla. Everytime i call which is 3 times a week they say bloods are on system but awaiting boody paperwork🙄 how can it take so long my ban was up on the 3rd of november after a 40 month ban im now doing more time. Will i have to have additional information from gp etc aswell then? Its a piss take all of this. Anyone any ideas how long i should now be waiting as the dvla just keep banging on about 10 working days. Gp even sent my paperwork via email aswell as posted
Every single step the dvla take its at least 10 working days am guessing your a hro at the stage you are at now expect another 2 months at least and that's if your gp sends paperwork back straight away

Every single step the dvla take its at least 10 working days am guessing your a hro at the stage you are at now expect another 2 months at least and that's if your gp sends paperwork back straight away
Yes it wasnt my gp it was a doctors practice that dvla told me to use. I couldnt use my own surgery it had to be one they send you to at a fee of £98.50 also. Ive queried it with that practice and they said they sent all paperwork questionaire and bloods on the afternoon i had them which was the 15th nov. So frustrating

GP sending paperwork back straight away - good luck with that one!

CJ

I spoke to my GP today about possibly getting a letter from DVLA as had an appointment about something else. She was super nice and looked at my notes and said she would do it as soon as she saw it and that she had zero concerns about me driving as I had no alcohol issues and my record of taking anxiety meds was in the past and I was on mild dosages (am no longer on them now despite this process!) She said 40% of her patients had anxiety or depression these days and my anxiety history was no barrier. I feel a weight has been lifted and would recommend anyone with a medical coming up go and see their GP. I was super embarrassed talking about it but she was really understanding and said it was obvious my mistake was clearly a one off, which it was. I hope this post helps someone. I feel a bit more hopeful now.

Did the same as you - called up my local surgery and gave them the heads up that they may be receiving something from the DVLA (I already knew they were going to send something through a combination of having to tick ‘yes’ to mental health and just gut feeling).

Did my usual Monday morning DVLA call this morning as they confirmed they’d sent something out on the 7th December (realistically it probably isn’t even there yet). Back on the phone to the surgery and the receptionist said they’d get it filled out by the GP and sent back as soon as they get it - told them to give me a call if there’s any problems, the usual stuff.

Think the moral of the story here is just micro manage these people.

At one month to the day from medical to this point and about 8 weeks from sending off my D1 form* (2 of those weeks were a waste of time due to the clinic doing the medical hadn’t sent back the questionnaire and were just sat on it), so feeling pretty confident given suitable micro management, I’ll be back on the road in a few weeks - only had to lose my cool once and that wasn’t even with the DVLA!

* Been working away a lot so I had to arrange my medical around this. Took about 4 weeks between sending off my form and doing the medical.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off