DVLA time scales

Convicted Driver Insurance

JayJay46

Well Known Member
I was issued with my licence back on a short term basis of 1 year, I received the paper work back in August 2019 for the review, DVLA received the papers back from my GP on 10 Oct 2019 and DVLA Doctors received it on 24th Oct 2019, It still has not been looked at 3 months down the line, does anyone know how long it is taking them.

Hi mate pobl prvate messaged me about 3weeks ago and said it took them 4 months to get another temp licence...

Ahhhhh, that's the question I want to ask,. Had medical January 2019, received temporary licence in May 2019 ( expires May 2020) , when will I expect to receive notice of the next medical?

3 months before the expiry date of your current licence, so anytime in March, however if you do not hear from them do chase them up, cause they are a bit laxadaisy... Are you HRO, misuse/dependance ?

Just regarding medicals - I am a HRO first time offender - my reading was sky high at the time hence my lengthy ban and being subject to the HRO procedure.

I was banned for 28 months on the 27th February last year (2019). I have since got my reduction course done which reduces my ban by 28 weeks. I am supposed to be banned until midnight on the 27th June next year (2021) but when I backed dated the 28 weeks the earliest date for the return of my licence is the 13th December this year (2020).

First of all I believe the DVLA contact you 90 days before the key date - should this now be mid September 2020 rather than the end of March 2021?

Will I need to chase the DVLA up around late August this year?

Once my medical is done, will I be subject to a temporary licence like the other forum member has mentioned?

How long will I be subject to this 'probation' period of having a temporary licence?

Will I be subject to further medicals after I do the one later this year? If so - are you having to fork out more money at the mercy of the DVLA just to keep your licence? (I honestly think this is a further punishment if the DVLA insist you keep doing medicals that cost you £100 a time!!!)

I'm still some way off reaching the light at the end of the tunnel but there's no harm in asking now in order to prepare myself in advance.

Kind regards

CJ

Temp licence tend to run for people who have been classed as misuse/dependence confirmed by a medical report from your own GP, as an HRO you may be subjected to investigation through your own GP to see if there are any alcohol issues documented with your GP that can raise serious concerns, these investigations will go back six years but not limited to and may include mental health investigations too, however if you do have any issues that you think might be of concern to the DVLA then now would be a good time to visit your GP in preparation for when you do apply for your D1, many folk are under the impression that once a DVLA medical has been attended with a low reading then their licence should be returned to them, but in fact it is upto the HRO to prove through your GP that you are medically fit to drive with the help of LFTs if needed, if there are concerns and you are addressing them now then you will be in a very good position to receive your licence without the need for a revocation, depending on your circumstances the DVLA managers will decide on what licence to issue nearer your time, a temp licence can run for six years with the licence holder attending medicals every year if needs be , until DVLA are satisfied you are no longer pose an alcohol issue......people who are revoked do not have to pay but I believe HROs do.....

Further to Honestman‘s good answer, DVLA should send you an application form 90 days before your (reduced) ban is ending. You have to be careful of this as they write to the address on your licence, not the one you gave the court or the police so if you have moved you will not get the fore.
In any case, you can visit the post office and ask for a form D1 to apply for your licence back at the 90 day point. It is the same as the D27 that DVLA send. The fee is £90.

Unfortunately, I went to my doctors a couple of times prior to my arrest because I was drinking myself into oblivion.

Its probably more than likely I will have to be subject to a annual temporary licence. I have however been dry now for quite some time - didn't even drink at Christmas.

Can I ask something again as it was not answered before - if you do get you licence back on a 'probation' basis do you then have to attend annual DVLA medicals just to get it renewed again for another year?

Like I said before - are you then forking out more money for future medicals once you do get a temporary licence?

CJ

They will “gather information” each time, which MAY include a medical, BUT you do not pay for these medicals.

You will need to have your last drink documented with your GP if there is a history of alcohol abuse, the dvla will insist on 6 Months abstinence for missuse or 1 years abstinence for dependancy backed with with your GP report plus blood samples(LFT)
Without this evidence when the dvla contact your GP after there own medical procedures there are questions relating to alcohol abuse and your GP is bound by law to give the dvla this information which will most likely hinder your application

Craig121

I've addressed my alcohol issues already and I have been dry for months.

Would it be beneficial to have a blood test now & a chat with my doctor, then do another blood test later in the year?

I'm thinking there is no harm in speaking to my doctor now and getting everything documented and evidenced so it is on record I have cut out my drinking and adjusted my lifestyle.

I can see that the DVLA clearly want proof of abstinence and I don't want there to be delays getting my licence back at the end of the year.

CJ

Craig121

I've addressed my alcohol issues already and I have been dry for months.

Would it be beneficial to have a blood test now & a chat with my doctor, then do another blood test later in the year?

I'm thinking there is no harm in speaking to my doctor now and getting everything documented and evidenced so it is on record I have cut out my drinking and adjusted my lifestyle.

I can see that the DVLA clearly want proof of abstinence and I don't want there to be delays getting my licence back at the end of the year.

CJ

100% speak with your GP agree upon when your last alcohol drink was consumed, get bloods taken that day and every 2 months after,
The big thing at this moment is your GP support get that date set in stone last drink consumed* agree it was abuse not dependancy! That's a whole new ball game!

Your not drinking even on a? wedding life's great give me my life back.

Can I ask something again as it was not answered before - if you do get you licence back on a 'probation' basis do you then have to attend annual DVLA medicals just to get it renewed again for another year?

Like I said before - are you then forking out more money for future medicals once you do get a temporary licence?

CJ

I went two years on temporaries after surrender/reapplication. No medicals for two years - just filling in the questionnaire again from the DVLA (the same one the docs use at the HRO DVLA medical by the look of it) and then the confirmation from GP. Then getting a 1-year licence again.

I think the medical is just to get back to a 'normal' licence when you are either a HRO or when you are a medical case that's been monitored to make sure the risk is gone.

If the medical is called by the DVLA then it's paid for by them. If it's mandated due to an offence, then we pay for it ?? I think that's correct.

Bacchus

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off