DVLA requirements for alcohol misuse or dependence.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi Norts, can you tell me how you booked your LFT tests, was it through your gp ? I've just called mine and gave a date I stopped drinking, I explained what was going on that I'm a HRO and I need LFTS done every 3 months, but he has said he needs a written letter from the DVLA to ask for this to be done, I can't just book them over the phone, bloody joke!
This is nonsense. Tell your GP you are concerned that you may have damaged your liver through alcohol consumption and that you would like some blood tests to confirm that everything is okay. It seems a bit petty of him 'denying' you LFT's PLus, the DVLA will not provide a letter confirming you 'need' them.

Hi Norts, can you tell me how you booked your LFT tests, was it through your gp ? I've just called mine and gave a date I stopped drinking, I explained what was going on that I'm a HRO and I need LFTS done every 3 months, but he has said he needs a written letter from the DVLA to ask for this to be done, I can't just book them over the phone, bloody joke!
All I did was book a telephone appointment with my GP. He knows my history with alcohol and knows that my ban has just ended (I say 'just', it ended at the beginning of February!). I told him that I needed to log the date of my last drink on his notes and then also asked for a blood test to clarify my liver function. He knew that was to add weight to my case for when the DVLA contact him, without me having to explain why. I didn't say anything about having a test done every three months, I was just happy for one to be on record whilst my application is being processed. A few days later the GP Surgery rang me to ask me when I was available to come in for my LFT and about 10 days after that I had it done.

I don't think it's actually stipulated anywhere that tri-monthly LFT's are a requirement, it's just strongly advised to get them if you can. And as Luna said, surely if you book an appointment with your GP every three months for LFT's then they can't just say 'no!'. I'd just not mention the DVLA asking for them, say it's because you want it for your own well-being and monitoring.

This is nonsense. Tell your GP you are concerned that you may have damaged your liver through alcohol consumption and that you would like some blood tests to confirm that everything is okay. It seems a bit petty of him 'denying' you LFT's PLus, the DVLA will not provide a letter confirming you 'need' them.
Bloody ridiculous isn't it Luna.. he said it's not an NHS matter, I'll take your advice and say that I want the LFT for my own piece of mind, but I did call earlier today and mentioned about the DVLA wanting the record lol.. oh well I'll see what he says, it was temporary fill in doctor that I spoke with today, I'll keep you updated. Thanks

All I did was book a telephone appointment with my GP. He knows my history with alcohol and knows that my ban has just ended (I say 'just', it ended at the beginning of February!). I told him that I needed to log the date of my last drink on his notes and then also asked for a blood test to clarify my liver function. He knew that was to add weight to my case for when the DVLA contact him, without me having to explain why. I didn't say anything about having a test done every three months, I was just happy for one to be on record whilst my application is being processed. A few days later the GP Surgery rang me to ask me when I was available to come in for my LFT and about 10 days after that I had it done.

I don't think it's actually stipulated anywhere that tri-monthly LFT's are a requirement, it's just strongly advised to get them if you can. And as Luna said, surely if you book an appointment with your GP every three months for LFT's then they can't just say 'no!'. I'd just not mention the DVLA asking for them, say it's because you want it for your own well-being and monitoring.
Yer I shouldn't of mentioned the DVLA wanting a track record should I, oh well it was a stand-in doctor that I spoke with today, my proper doctor is in tomorrow so I'll call him and just ask for the LFT for piece of mind, I am a HRO tho so I think if you have previous alcohol dependency on your gp record they want proof you've been abstinence for 1 whole year, that's if your an HRO and have dependency on your record ?

Yer I shouldn't of mentioned the DVLA wanting a track record should I, oh well it was a stand-in doctor that I spoke with today, my proper doctor is in tomorrow so I'll call him and just ask for the LFT for piece of mind, I am a HRO tho so I think if you have previous alcohol dependency on your gp record they want proof you've been abstinence for 1 whole year, that's if your an HRO and have dependency on your record ?
Or is this not the case do you know ? This is just one big bloody headache 😫

Hi Dave. I think we are talking on another post. It's good that you have 2 weeks abstinence under your belt as your drinking patterns were not to dissimilar to my own. 2 weeks won't be enough to bring down your LFT's. You would need at least 8 weeks. BUt that's only one aspect, as you will need to reduce your CDT level for the DVLA medical. When are you planning on taking your DVLA medical?

Re your alcohol consumption. You were drinking alcoholically up until 2 weeks ago. Please seriously consider getting some help with your issues, as like me you will again end up drink driving. I have gone to AA since July 2019 and it helps me stay sober.

Good luck.
Hi Luna, do you know if I do attempt to get my licence back by the 27th July and they check gp records and refuse it, do you know if I have to wait another full year from that date or would it be a year from the date I logged my last drink with my gp ? I just need my licence back ASAP as I need to drive my mother around my children live 65 miles away and obviously to get about myself to get a job.

Hi all. I got a 1 year license back in September on the grounds of alcohol misuse. Just wanted to know what the process will be this coming September, will I be required to take another CDT test? When can I send the form off (assume the DVLA are still as slow as they were last year?) Thanks

Hi Luna, do you know if I do attempt to get my licence back by the 27th July and they check gp records and refuse it, do you know if I have to wait another full year from that date or would it be a year from the date I logged my last drink with my gp ? I just need my licence back ASAP as I need to drive my mother around my children live 65 miles away and obviously to get about myself to get a job.
Hi Dave I’ve re read your posts and I am the same as yourself HRO and have alcohol dependency on my GP record. I have recorded my last drink with GP and had o e LFT which was normal. I will have done a year recorded on 30/7/22 but my licence was revoked after applying back in October 21 in April of this stipulating I need to prove 1 year abstinence. So I assume I have to wait now until next April?
Can you let me know how you get on with your licence moving forward GOOD Luck

Hi Dave I’ve re read your posts and I am the same as yourself HRO and have alcohol dependency on my GP record. I have recorded my last drink with GP and had o e LFT which was normal. I will have done a year recorded on 30/7/22 but my licence was revoked after applying back in October 21 in April of this stipulating I need to prove 1 year abstinence. So I assume I have to wait now until next April?

You need to prove 1 year abstinence so once you are passed one year of sobriety you can apply again and include a letter staying you applied October 21 and were rejected in April until 1 year of abstinence could be proven. Then state "I recorded my last drink 30/07/21 with my GP who will be able to evidence this with LFT results." They will then process your application and contact your GP, as long as they can back up 12 months then you should be issued a 1 year licence. You can apply a few weeks before the 30/07/22 as it will likely sit un-processed for a number of weeks.

You need to prove 1 year abstinence so once you are passed one year of sobriety you can apply again and include a letter staying you applied October 21 and were rejected in April until 1 year of abstinence could be proven. Then state "I recorded my last drink 30/07/21 with my GP who will be able to evidence this with LFT results." They will then process your application and contact your GP, as long as they can back up 12 months then you should be issued a 1 year licence. You can apply a few weeks before the 30/07/22 as it will likely sit un-processed for a number of weeks.
Thank you for this information it has lifted my spirits a little as have been feeling very sorry and ashamed of myself but one positive is that I am alcohol free, a lot healthier and happier
I will wait until I have gone past the 12 months got another liver function test done end of August for further evidence and then resubmit my application
Thank you again for responding it has meant a lot

Hi all I'm still here waiting, not sleeping enough and very anxious... Just wondering who else had been on acamprosate and got their licence back,,, I went on it 7yrs ago,, purely through misuse and didn't need them just wanted to try them.. only have 6months no alcohol recorded with gp just wondering what the dvla will make of this,,,,, any feedback or advice much appreciated ☺️

Arrrrhh right i have given up drinking since being caught a year ago I wonder if its worth contacting my doctor and informing him of this then
I would. That's what I did after I applied and had the medical as I knew DVLA would contact them. I informed my GP that I had stopped drinking on 23rd July 2019 which was noted and he also gave me an LFT which was normal and I managed to have recorded on file before the DVLA wrote to him.

I received a 1 year licence after 2 DUI's with high readings of 124 and 96.

Hi 220899,

So did they give you your licence back then revoke it again ?
How regular are you going to get your LFT'S Done then ? Every 3 or 4 months or ?
I'm sorry but I can't answer your question about applying in April, you should wait a clear year after you registered your last drink date with gp apparently, but HRO applications take ages to process don't they, you could reapply 3 or 4 weeks before the year's up but it's risky, probably best to wait the full year.
I'll definitely keep you updated 😉

Hi 220899,

So did they give you your licence back then revoke it again ?
How regular are you going to get your LFT'S Done then ? Every 3 or 4 months or ?
I'm sorry but I can't answer your question about applying in April, you should wait a clear year after you registered your last drink date with gp apparently, but HRO applications take ages to process don't they, you could reapply 3 or 4 weeks before the year's up but it's risky, probably best to wait the full year.
I'll definitely keep you updated 😉
No I didn’t get licence back just straight revoke!
I’m going to reapply in October 22 so I’ll have 15 months and by the time they respond probably in the new year at this rate Ill have 3/4 LFTS and probably 18 months since last recorded drink

No I didn’t get licence back just straight revoke!
I’m going to reapply in October 22 so I’ll have 15 months and by the time they respond probably in the new year at this rate Ill have 3/4 LFTS and probably 18 months since last recorded drink
Ok cool, sounds a plan.. how long have you been banned for then ? And how did you know to log your last drink date with your gp ? I only knew after going on this site, if I'd of known we needed to prove 1 year's abstinence and log date with gp I'd of stopped drinking as soon as I got banned this is nearly going to double my ban, bloody joke!

Ok cool, sounds a plan.. how long have you been banned for then ? And how did you know to log your last drink date with your gp ? I only knew after going on this site, if I'd of known we needed to prove 1 year's abstinence and log date with gp I'd of stopped drinking as soon as I got banned this is nearly going to double my ban, bloody joke!
I found out on this site too and coz it was taking soo long to get my licence back and ban ended 6/12 after reduced due to rehabilitation course 14 months from 18, I researched the worse case scenario
I should have done this when I got banned to be prepared but didn’t think it was this hard and naively thought coz I stopped drinking was fit and healthy done my punishment my licence would be returned BUT alas further punishment and stress added to us all constantly reminding me of my huge mistake and racking up past history which causes me lack of sleep worry and something I’ll carry for the rest of my life. Also having a criminal record causes problems to other areas of our lives too.!
Does it get any better? we shall have to wait and see. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we can’t change the past can? As the police inspector said to me in the cell ‘s..t happens’!
I was mortified as it has truly impacted on my life
This site I found during my research and hope other people will too as I found it very supportive

I found out on this site too and coz it was taking soo long to get my licence back and ban ended 6/12 after reduced due to rehabilitation course 14 months from 18, I researched the worse case scenario
I should have done this when I got banned to be prepared but didn’t think it was this hard and naively thought coz I stopped drinking was fit and healthy done my punishment my licence would be returned BUT alas further punishment and stress added to us all constantly reminding me of my huge mistake and racking up past history which causes me lack of sleep worry and something I’ll carry for the rest of my life. Also having a criminal record causes problems to other areas of our lives too.!
Does it get any better? we shall have to wait and see. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we can’t change the past can? As the police inspector said to me in the cell ‘s..t happens’!
I was mortified as it has truly impacted on my life
This site I found during my research and hope other people will too as I found it very supportive
So your 5 months over the end of your ban already then ? not fair is it.. I had 16 months reduced to 12 after my course, but only found this site a few months ago so I kept drinking, I eventually logged my last drink date in march so looks like I'm going to be doing another 8 months for nothing, just because I wasn't made aware of the 1 years abstinence, really isn't fair is it..
Your not by yourself, the stress and anxiety is terrible, if we hadn't of found this site then we'd both of served our bans then applied then had them rejected for not having 1 year's proven abstinence, so then having to then log drink date and had another full year added, so basically doubling our bans.. it's really not fair, on top of this I'm going threw a break up with Ex, my anxiety is threw the bloody roof..
Things will get better, we've just got to be patient I'm afraid, really unfair we should of been made aware of this by the DVLA!
People are very helpful on here so all good..
So if everything goes smoothly when do you expect to get your licence back ?

So your 5 months over the end of your ban already then ? not fair is it.. I had 16 months reduced to 12 after my course, but only found this site a few months ago so I kept drinking, I eventually logged my last drink date in march so looks like I'm going to be doing another 8 months for nothing, just because I wasn't made aware of the 1 years abstinence, really isn't fair is it..
Your not by yourself, the stress and anxiety is terrible, if we hadn't of found this site then we'd both of served our bans then applied then had them rejected for not having 1 year's proven abstinence, so then having to then log drink date and had another full year added, so basically doubling our bans.. it's really not fair, on top of this I'm going threw a break up with Ex, my anxiety is threw the bloody roof..
Things will get better, we've just got to be patient I'm afraid, really unfair we should of been made aware of this by the DVLA!
People are very helpful on here so all good..
So if everything goes smoothly when do you expect to get your licence back ?
Sorry to hear about your breakup that’s stressful in itself ! I had had an argument with mine hence my stupidity of getting in my car and driving to get away but got caught so this added insult to injury so to speak
My father died last April and my mum doesn’t drive and wanted to help to take her out and about soo was looking forward to this at Christmas to be knocked back in April a year after his death !
I’ve read other peoples post on here who have been in our situation and some outcomes good others another wait soo I’m not holding out any hope of a date as to when I might get my licence back
We try to improve ourselves and have admitted our mistakes and our past haunts us!
I do agree that at being labelled HRO (mine was failure to provide as I was petrified and couldn’t keep my breath going) that no information is given to prepare you but I suppose it’s up to us to find out ? What we have to do is live with it and hopefully we will at some point get our licence back not ideal, not fair as some of the stories I’ve read are way worse than mine and have their licence back but I hope 🤞 we will prove our efforts are worth the wait

Sorry to hear about your breakup that’s stressful in itself ! I had had an argument with mine hence my stupidity of getting in my car and driving to get away but got caught so this added insult to injury so to speak
My father died last April and my mum doesn’t drive and wanted to help to take her out and about soo was looking forward to this at Christmas to be knocked back in April a year after his death !
I’ve read other peoples post on here who have been in our situation and some outcomes good others another wait soo I’m not holding out any hope of a date as to when I might get my licence back
We try to improve ourselves and have admitted our mistakes and our past haunts us!
I do agree that at being labelled HRO (mine was failure to provide as I was petrified and couldn’t keep my breath going) that no information is given to prepare you but I suppose it’s up to us to find out ? What we have to do is live with it and hopefully we will at some point get our licence back not ideal, not fair as some of the stories I’ve read are way worse than mine and have their licence back but I hope 🤞 we will prove our efforts are worth the wait
Hi there,, its all so stressful, I'm currently waiting for dvla to receive GPS questionnaire,, may I ask how long ago you were classed as dependent,, I'm hoping I don't have to prove 12months,,i went on acamprosate 7yrs ago but never been classed as dependent I've just misused,, had clear lft since and gp happy with me..

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off