DVLA requirements for alcohol misuse or dependence.

Convicted Driver Insurance
Pretty much. Some people on here have been driving under Section 88 for months. I think CJ did over a year on Section 88.

Don't expect your licence renewal to happen before your licence expiry date. I've yet to see it happen recently.
If anything I'm preparing myself for a long wait after the date.

If anything I'm preparing myself for a long wait after the date.

Good idea, that's probably the best advice anyone can give. Given what other forum users have said, I'll be satisfied if I get my licence back in May time. Which is around the time of my holiday, so it would be nice if I'd get it by then as I'd like the option of hiring a vehicle if needs be.

Edit: Not sure I'd get very far with car hire if it looks like I'm applying on an expired licence 🤪

So how are you meant to prove abstinence if you don't get LFT'S? I'm going for my 2nd LFT in 3 weeks.
Exactly! I think it's disgusting that alot of us were never even made aware that we have to be proving this while we were banned it's like it's been kept a secret to trip people up , wish I could get in with my gp twice in 3 weeks, I've all on to get just 1 appointment

Exactly! I think it's disgusting that alot of us were never even made aware that we have to be proving this while we were banned it's like it's been kept a secret to trip people up , wish I could get in with my gp twice in 3 weeks, I've all on to get just 1 appointment
It does feel like we are trying to play some sort of sick game without being given the rules.

It does feel like we are trying to play some sort of sick game without being given the rules.
Keep
We are, that's why I've said even if it all goes tits up for me I will keep updated on here cos then at least it might help another person on were I went wrong, and vice versa if all goes well its the only way we can beat the unfairness

Pretty much. Some people on here have been driving under Section 88 for months. I think CJ did over a year on Section 88.

Don't expect your licence renewal to happen before your licence expiry date. I've yet to see it happen recently.

It was just short of 13 months driving under Section 88 and nearly 16 months from posting the D1 in October 2021, to finally receiving confirmation of the driving licence being issued in February 2023. Because they only gave me a 12 month temporary licence, I am having to go through this whole process again at present as the current licence expires on the 7th of next month. Be interesting to see how long it takes this time round.

CJ

My gp and I agreed in July 22 after my application had been rejected that I would email him quarterly for a year with a blood test at the end of the year. That way I was able to say that I had reported quarterly to my gp and that he had reviewed my progress on a quarterly basis! It depends I suppose on your GP but it worked and he was able to send his report back to dvla in December 23 to confirm and I now have a medical (for the first time) looming! So I really suggest discussing this option with your GP! It's been a great idea and has worked for me. No regular lfts throughout that year just GP reporting.

My gp and I agreed in July 22 after my application had been rejected that I would email him quarterly for a year with a blood test at the end of the year. That way I was able to say that I had reported quarterly to my gp and that he had reviewed my progress on a quarterly basis! It depends I suppose on your GP but it worked and he was able to send his report back to dvla in December 23 to confirm and I now have a medical (for the first time) looming! So I really suggest discussing this option with your GP! It's been a great idea and has worked for me. No regular lfts throughout that year just GP reporting.
This is where it gets difficult. DVLA do not say how you are supposed to prove abstinence, however anecdotally it has been shown that regular LFT's seem to help with the application. Your idea of checking in with the GP also seems a good way of doing it, especially as it sounds like your GP is fully on board with your application and is aware of the need to appease DVLA.

If someone is classed as dependent or a misuser, DVLA write out and demand complete abstinence for at least 12 months (although they in reality expect abstinence for life - or at least until they issue a full 10 year licence) for dependence, or they request 6 months of abstinence/drinking within government guidelines for 6 months for misusers (although again admitting any drinking seems to trigger more refusals).

Generally then they give the burden of proof over to you. If you call and ask them what they expect, you will hit a stone wall - they won't commit. It seems to be that if they say "You need to do X", they have no option but to issue your licence if you do X, however by leaving it open ended they keep the option of still refusing you. That is why it is important that people understand that there is no simple pass or fail mechanism in reapplying. Getting a decent CDT is good, but it isn't the be all and end all. Neither is having the GP on your side, or not drinking, or any one other thing. It is a combination of everything.

My belief is that some people need to get their priorities straight when reapplying for a licence. Having a licence is not a god given right, it is a privilege. Stage 1 is deciding;
a) I need my licence but want a drink or
b) I want my licence but need a drink

Too many posts seem to be saying "I have my medical in X weeks time, but have been drinking Y amount - will I pass?" - my advice here would always be go back to the stage 1 question......

This is where it gets difficult. DVLA do not say how you are supposed to prove abstinence, however anecdotally it has been shown that regular LFT's seem to help with the application. Your idea of checking in with the GP also seems a good way of doing it, especially as it sounds like your GP is fully on board with your application and is aware of the need to appease DVLA.

If someone is classed as dependent or a misuser, DVLA write out and demand complete abstinence for at least 12 months (although they in reality expect abstinence for life - or at least until they issue a full 10 year licence) for dependence, or they request 6 months of abstinence/drinking within government guidelines for 6 months for misusers (although again admitting any drinking seems to trigger more refusals).

Generally then they give the burden of proof over to you. If you call and ask them what they expect, you will hit a stone wall - they won't commit. It seems to be that if they say "You need to do X", they have no option but to issue your licence if you do X, however by leaving it open ended they keep the option of still refusing you. That is why it is important that people understand that there is no simple pass or fail mechanism in reapplying. Getting a decent CDT is good, but it isn't the be all and end all. Neither is having the GP on your side, or not drinking, or any one other thing. It is a combination of everything.

My belief is that some people need to get their priorities straight when reapplying for a licence. Having a licence is not a god given right, it is a privilege. Stage 1 is deciding;

a) I need my licence but want a drink or

b) I want my licence but need a drink

Too many posts seem to be saying "I have my medical in X weeks time, but have been drinking Y amount - will I pass?" - my advice here would always be go back to the stage 1 question......

With my letter they said abstinence for 3 years until they would use discretion about drinking further alcohol.

With my letter they said abstinence for 3 years until they would use discretion about drinking further alcohol.
3 years? Are u down as dependent, and BigTom I slightly disagree with you we are humans with rights we should be allowed to drink responsibility when we are not behind the wheel , just like most people who work for the DVLA do

3 years? Are u down as dependent, and BigTom I slightly disagree with you we are humans with rights we should be allowed to drink responsibility when we are not behind the wheel , just like most people who work for the DVLA do

Maybe I'm looking for the holy grail here but I'm getting sick and tired of wading through all these posts trying to find a definitive answer to a question, which is as follows. If someone fails the DVLA medical and is told that they must now complete a 6 month trial for misuse or 12 months for dependence, do the DVLA tell them PRECISELY how they must prove compliance? I have read many times that people give their GP a last drink date and submit to frequent LFT tests. That's all well and good in theory but if the DVLA don't trust LFTs for the medical, instead preferring the CDT test, why would they accept LFTs during a trial?

Maybe I'm looking for the holy grail here but I'm getting sick and tired of wading through all these posts trying to find a definitive answer to a question, which is as follows. If someone fails the DVLA medical and is told that they must now complete a 6 month trial for misuse or 12 months for dependence, do the DVLA tell them PRECISELY how they must prove compliance? I have read many times that people give their GP a last drink date and submit to frequent LFT tests. That's all well and good in theory but if the DVLA don't trust LFTs for the medical, instead preferring the CDT test, why would they accept LFTs during a trial?

The DVLA will not tell you how you must prove compliance for controlled drinking or abstinence. The advice you've read about regular LFT's is good as supporting evidence. Just because the DVLA use a CDT test during the medical doesn't mean that having LFT's as supporting evidence from you GP isn't a good thing - everything is taken into account.

If anything having regular LFT's will help show your own GP that you aren't abusing alcohol (or at the very least, less likely to be, especially if you've previously been dependent). I don't see LFT's being much good for proving controlled drinking, as the liver can take a serious beating before LFT's start showing problems - even so, I'd still advise you to have regular LFT's done.

It's frustrating, I know.

The simple answer to your question is NO. They do not tell you precisely how to prove abstinence. People have done the LFT and getting GP on board as a way of helping but if you ask DVLA they will not confirm if this is good enough.

Regarding the CDT/LFT issue, CDT gives an indication of alcohol consumption in the recent past (past couple of months or so), LFT gives an indication of liver health. LFT's over a period of time help to show that your liver health is within healthy parameters, or at least the readings are going in the right direction. A one off LFT does not necessarily prove anything, that is why DVLA rely on the CDT as an indicator of recent alcohol and not using LFT's.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off