DVLA request more information after CDT test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Scoobs222

OK so I got done for Dr60 couple of years ago, now I want my license back dvla ask I do a medical. It was a blood test and it will definitely show I don't even touch alcohol now and haven't done so for 2 years. I got a letter back from DVLA stating the results are back to them from the GP (didn't provide results) but they need to contact GP for more information and this could take up to 4 weeks. What could they possibly want to know more about? As far as I'm aware the CDT (carbohydrate deficient transferrin) blood test only tests for alcohol, I smoke cannabis from time to time but I'm guessing that shouldn't matter in this test.

DR60 is a ‘fail to supply a sample” Offence code and as such it is quite common for DVLA to enquire with your GP about any incidents of alcohol misuse or dependence within the past 6 years.
It is not just a case is ‘my CDT was ok, so give me my licence’

OK so I got done for Dr60 couple of years ago, now I want my license back dvla ask I do a medical. It was a blood test and it will definitely show I don't even touch alcohol now and haven't done so for 2 years. I got a letter back from DVLA stating the results are back to them from the GP (didn't provide results) but they need to contact GP for more information and this could take up to 4 weeks. What could they possibly want to know more about? As far as I'm aware the CDT (carbohydrate deficient transferrin) blood test only tests for alcohol, I smoke cannabis from time to time but I'm guessing that shouldn't matter in this test.
DVLA are contacting GP's in lots of cases at the moment. May be to do with something you have admitted (mental health issues, taking drugs, being on medication) or may just be random. The DVLA will send the GP a DD2 questionnaire and also possibly one regarding mental health. I would advise speaking to your GP now and discussing your whole situation to ensure they don't say something incriminating which could see your licence refused for up to a year!

DVLA are contacting GP's in lots of cases at the moment. May be to do with something you have admitted (mental health issues, taking drugs, being on medication) or may just be random. The DVLA will send the GP a DD2 questionnaire and also possibly one regarding mental health. I would advise speaking to your GP now and discussing your whole situation to ensure they don't say something incriminating which could see your licence refused for up to a year!
Ah OK it makes sense now, I was off work and on antidepressants for 3 months for depression, doctor knew I was sniffing coke and drinking heavily at that time but this was around 2.5 years ago, haven't been on meds or coke or alcohol since, just the occasional waccy baccy lol could there be any issues here u think?

Ah OK it makes sense now, I was off work and on antidepressants for 3 months for depression, doctor knew I was sniffing coke and drinking heavily at that time but this was around 2.5 years ago, haven't been on meds or coke or alcohol since, just the occasional waccy baccy lol could there be any issues here u think?

Did you pass?

The GP being involved and the history you may be put onto a one year medical license, which is better than not driving.

have you recorded with your GP your abstinence from alcohol, it’s ok saying “I’ve done 2.5 years sober” but the DVLA will want/need proof, I second Big Toms comment speak to your GP and get them on side or you are in for a bumpy ride with the DVLA

The GP being involved and the history you may be put onto a one year medical license, which is better than not driving.

have you recorded with your GP your abstinence from alcohol, it’s ok saying “I’ve done 2.5 years sober” but the DVLA will want/need proof, I second Big Toms comment speak to your GP and get them on side or you are in for a bumpy ride with the DVLA
Thing is DVLA already have proof I haven't touched alcohol in 2.5 years due to the CDT test, my only concern is that I told my gp I was depressed back then and used cannabis and cocaine alot too, he prescribed me anti depressants as well, it was only a period of heavy use for like maybe a year but since then have stopped everything apart from a joint time to time. So I dont think it's going to look too good...

Thing is DVLA already have proof I haven't touched alcohol in 2.5 years due to the CDT test, my only concern is that I told my gp I was depressed back then and used cannabis and cocaine alot too, he prescribed me anti depressants as well, it was only a period of heavy use for like maybe a year but since then have stopped everything apart from a joint time to time. So I dont think it's going to look too good...
A CDT test does not prove abstinence for 2 1/2 years, it only shows a snapshot of perhaps drinking within recommended limits in the past 3 months or so to achieve a low score.....nothing beyond that.

The CDT test gives an indication of excessive alcohol use in the last couple of months or so, it doesn't prove abstinence at all, especially not for 2.5 years. Your GP being able to back your story up with regular LFT's to show your liver health and general notes on how your overall health/mental health is will help in the longer run. Given that your GP will have been asked about your alcohol and drug use that they are aware of, they will be under obligation to mention that you are recorded as having used drugs in the past. This may mean DVLA ask you to go for another medical, but this time also request a urine test to check for traces of drugs in your system.

A CDT test does not prove abstinence for 2 1/2 years, it only shows a snapshot of perhaps drinking within recommended limits in the past 3 months or so to achieve a low score.....nothing beyond that.

In the letter that the DVLA sends you to book your medical there is a leaflet that states it only tests for alcohol consumption within the last 4 weeks.... so why is everyone saying 2/3 months I work with someone who completed their medical 2 months ago and he stopped drinking for 4 weeks and passed? Why are people saying different are the DVLA lying?!

In the letter that the DVLA sends you to book your medical there is a leaflet that states it only tests for alcohol consumption within the last 4 weeks.... so why is everyone saying 2/3 months I work with someone who completed their medical 2 months ago and he stopped drinking for 4 weeks and passed? Why are people saying different are the DVLA lying?!
CDT levels can remain raised after 4 weeks if the level was high beforehand. If somebody was previously drinking heavily, it can take a number of months of total abstinence for the levels to be reduced to the levels that DVLA are looking for. Somebody who has been classed as dependent for example is expected to have a CDT level of below 1% to satisfy the requirement to show abstinence, although it doesn't in itself prove total abstinence. Yes, some people can carry on drinking right up to their DVLA medical and will get through, others can have abstained for a number of months prior and still not satisfy DVLA's requirement.

You are looking at black or white, but in reality it is shades all the way through that spectrum.
If you only drink within the guidelines, there is no need to stop drinking at all. On the other hand, if you are an alcoholic, it can take 3 months for CDT to reduce to acceptable limits.
On this site, we do not know what peoples’s real drinking habits are, which is why it is best to err on the side of caution and not just answer “what is the minimum time I can get away with not drinking?”

For what its worth if you had failed the CDT test you would have heard by now and besides you've been abstinent so no worries there.
There is obviously something in your records concerning your previous drinking or drug use. For you thats no problem as you've been abstinent but they will expect you provide evidence, if you dont have any, then your not going to have your licence for another 6 months minimum while you get it documented, you will remain banned until you provide it - thats how the DVLA roll

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off