Dvla refusing my license

Convicted Driver Insurance

Coley369

I was banned from drink driving for the second time roughly 6 years ago for 3 years. 3 years back I attended a medical, filled out the forms stating I drink casually on special occasions such as birthdays, Xmas, weddings, holiday etc but apart from that nothing, I was given my license back no problem but only for one year. So last year it was due for renewal so I had another medical, answered the questionnaire the same and again was given my license but only for a year. This time I thought would be the final time and I would get it back permanently, so I attended the medical, filled out the questionnaire the same as the previous 2. Yesterday I received a letter off the dvla saying I passed my medical/blood test with ease scoring only 0.6% reading which meant there was virtually no alcohol in my body at all yet I was refused my license for one year! I rang them up asking why and they said a new law came in February stating that if I’ve ever been alcohol dependant then I have to go one whole year without drinking before having a medical and because I’ve said I haven’t I therefore fail so have to wait another year before I can reapply and can’t have a drink until then.
Surely this can’t be fair? I was alcohol dependent about 5/6 years ago, I’m in a full time job, my blood results show there was literally zero alcohol in my body, I’ve been given my license on 2 times previously but because of some new law/policy guide lines My license is now revoked for 12 months. Isn’t there anything I can do? I’ve spoken to a solicitor and she said she has a long list of people that this has happened to before, she can send a letter on before and take a statement off me and other people etc but there’s no guarantee and it will be £800 + VAT

Hi Coley
Sorry to hear about your Licence it all sounds wrong for many reasons ,
Firstly you should speak with your own GP ask if he can wright a letter backing up your sobriety for 1 year period! It should not have to be the most recent year but any year from the time you were first diagnosed dependant*
With his backing you can start the complaints procedure

Despite you were given licences after your spell of dependence might not have any legal bearing if the DVLA have suspected you did not comply with a years abstinence it's your duty to prove fitness to drive and this can only be carried out with the help of a GP CDT results are not conclusive proof for dependant or misuse abstinence it's the paperwork of previous answers are just as important

Last edited:
Thank you, I will contact my dr Monday and ask if he can write me a letter which I can produce when I appeal it. My problem with them though is this new “one year without a drink” law/policy guide only came into place in February. My arguement with them on the matter is why weren’t I aware of this then? I’ve just done/answered the questions the same as I did the previous 2 occasions which I was given a license. Surely they can’t just change the rules without notifying you of these changes and then refuse your license? I’m now in a full time job, haven’t been to the doctors in approx 5 years relating to alcohol issues plus my blood results with 0.6% so doesn’t all these factors prove I’m no longer alcohol dependant

Totally sympathise with you and it's a disgrace the way it's been handled , but your fighting an institution that's not Governed and you have no rights to hold a driving licence & must prove your fitness to drive, It's good that you haven't been to your doctor's in 5 years with any Alcohol issues and I hope you have kept in touch regarding your good health, it seems it's getting harder and harder to shake of dependency once your badged with it.
I do hope your Doctor gives full backing as he basically is your only hope.

Diesel2 few posts back posted the Alcohol panel minutes April 2019 it's very stark reading if your Dependant and your life's in there hands

Hi Coley
How did it go @ the Doctor's?

I think there's much confusion between patients doctor's and DVLA regarding dependence !
Its nothing new about 1yr abstinence and certainly did not come about Feb 2019# dependancy always been expected to have minimum 1 year alcohol free but not always explained properly!, I know as I went through the cycle in 2012 and that's the criteria then!

However until Feb2019 many people were not challenged for having an odd tiple now an then providing it was controlled in some way, ie once or twice a year wedding new year! Etc
The DVLA are taking a much harder stance if your Dependant it's zero alcohol for 1 year ordinary licence! 3 years PCV HGV.
But they will be reviewing next meeting and dependant drinkers might be abstinent for LIFE?!?
If your diagnosed with Misuse you can sustain controlled drinking however it's best you stay clean it won't be long until the DVLA start challenging all aspects of heavy drinking! STAY SAFE#

If you would like to read more about the dvla's stance on Dependancy check back Diesels thread minutes of meeting.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off