DVLA Questionnaire time frame

Convicted Driver Insurance

jitterbug

I'm coming to the end of a 2 year ban and as a HRO have to take the medical. I have a bit of a concern about the time frame of the questionnaire as a declaration. I consulted my GP over ten years ago due to a stress related alcohol issue and tried acamprosate for a while. Accamprosate is a drug which was supposed to reduce cravings - nothing to do with alcohol withdrawal etc. I had no further issues with alcohol and no consultations thereafter. I am concerned though that if I mention this it could result in withholding the licence. So I wondered A) do DVLA only write to the GP if the blood results are of concern? B) is there a reasonable time frame for the declaration?
Any advice welcome
Cheer

The DVLA can decide to write to your GP even if your results are normal. The time frame the DVLA are looking at for any drink/drug related problems are in the last 3 years. If you have anything on your medical records in the last 3 years this may impact on the DVLA's decision about your license.

Thanks for your reply Bump, I’ve decided to discuss this worry with my GP but the first question doesn’t stipulate a time frame so I’ll have to declare the treatment of ten years ago. I’ll post about the process and outcome.
Cheers

The questionnaire the doctor gets sent is all about your alcohol drinking in the last 3 years. If you have nothing on your records in the last 3 years then the doctor will not refer back to something that happened 10 years previously. The DVLA want to know if you have had a persistent drinking problem in the last 3 years, if yes then they will want to know that you have had a period of abstinence in the last year from alcohol. They want to know if you have had any detox program in the last 3 years. If yours was 10 years ago then that is not relevant. Discussing this with your doctor now, will put this on your records as the doctor is duty bound to document what you have talked about. This then may go back to the DVLA who will may then pass it onto there medical team which then may cause a delay in you receiving your license back. You are always entitled to have blood tests done with your GP to demonstrate normal Liver function parameters, which may help identify that you don't have an issue with alcohol any longer, if this is the case.

Be aware as a HRO you will need to have one years abstinance from alcohol, if you have "Alcohol dependant" , and 6 months if "Alcohol misuse" on your medical history. I wne to thte docs after a binge years ago and the Doctor marked me as depenadant which was not correct but it still haunts me now with the DVLA until the 3 years have passed. I wish I had checked the guidelines before filling out the Medical questionnaire https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-alcohol-misuse-or-dependence-assessing-fitness-to-drive

Well guys these points are interesting and relevant. I've cancelled the GP appointment. I'm pretty confident that the blood results will be within required parameters since I've been abstinent and had no alcohol since January 2018.
Cheers

blooper what was the outcome for your license? Did you get it back or did the DVLA revoke it as you had Alcohol dependent on your records.

Hi bump theDVLA gave me my license back after a year then revoked for dependance due "to a achange in policy" while I trty and prove abstinance for a year. Well after 5 months of back and forth with medical forms from me and my doctor etc etc I went for a DVLA Medical and await the final result, I called the DVLA and they have the results but wont tell me what they are (I knew that anyway from this Forum). So the DVLA Doctor or whever has to make a decision, it will be a "clear result2 as it was 0.6 in March and I havent had a drink so it has to be lower. I will let you all know how this pans out, this has been a nightmare I do not want to repeat. Abstinance is easier than losiing your license I am a complete Petrol head so there is no way I am going to lose it again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off