DVLA Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

liam1610

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me. I have just been for my Medical to retrieve my lisence back and I wondered how long it takes for the DVLA to respond with their decision?

hi,

i also have a medical coming up, i was wondering what was involved and what would be adequate preperation, i am probably a below average drinker for an outgoing person of my age (25) but what with xmas and new years just passed i have had my share recently.

any advice would be great!

From what I gather it takes about 4 - 8 weeks to hear back. I think a lot depends on how busy they are, let us know how long it takes them to reply to you with their decision.

The only advice really, is refrain from drinking totally or at the very least severely limit your alcohol intake for at least a month leading up to your medical, the rest of the process is down to the doctor, the liver test results and the DVLA.

ok i went for my medical last wednesday (18th feb) and one week later I received my license through the post. I am slightly bemused as I was expecting a longer wait, also I didn't recive any confirmation that I had met the requirements of the medical. I just received my license, no mention of the medical even taking place.

I don't know if this was an error on the part of the DVLA but it makes the whole medical seem pointless

can anyone else who has been through the medical process advise me of what they received post medical?

After i went for my medical i rang the dvla to check they had my results, they hadn't got them just yet but they told me i could have been driving 2 months ago (it took me 2 months to get an appointment) even though the medical hadn't been done due to section 88 act. however once the medical was done and if they found anything untoward they would keep my licence and send me a letter. The same with me though, i just received my licence through the post with no explanation. But i did ring the dvla for a copy of the medical report as i had paid a small fortune for it. Not that i could undertsand the jargon when i go it!!
So all you out there waiting for appointments for medicals, ring the dvla and see if you can drive whilst your waiting. They will send you an email to clarify this road act. Good luck

They only send your licence if your medical test was a success. If you had failed the test, then they would send a letter to confirm it. How much did you pay for the medical? £90 or £110?

Last edited:
my medical was 100 cash, i didnt even get a letter saying the results for that. Just my license in the post 10 days later.

quote as to what liam1610 posted..
Any one that has to go for a dvla medical after a dd conviction can still drive whilst waiting for the medical, as long as it is after the date that your ban has ended..The only reason that you wouldn't be able to do this, is if your license has been revoked from a previous medical..

Hi Paul,

I went for my medical just over a week ago and my ban expires on the 1st April but I am told I must not drive until i hear from DVLA.

Can you advise me on this please?

Hi Paul,

I went for my medical just over a week ago and my ban expires on the 1st April but I am told I must not drive until i hear from DVLA.

Can you advise me on this please?
hi tosh mate..you can drive as from the 1st of april while your medical is still being processed by the dvla..anyone who has told you any different does not know what they are talking about!..the only reason why you would not be able to drive is if your license has been revoked before by the dvla..in this case then you must wait until your license comes through post..

Can anyone advise me on a failure to provide query.

I lost my licence and failed DVLAs first medical when my ban was up as my liver results were significantly out. I had another medical 6 months later and DVLA renewed my licence for one year only. Now that year is up they have decided I need to go for another medical again for more blood tests. They are paying for this medical but can they do this? Surely if I am fit to drive for the one year they renewed my license then I have proved myself to be fit to drive for the future.

If anyone has heard of this before please let me know how you got on.

Can anyone advise me on a failure to provide query.

I lost my licence and failed DVLAs first medical when my ban was up as my liver results were significantly out. I had another medical 6 months later and DVLA renewed my licence for one year only. Now that year is up they have decided I need to go for another medical again for more blood tests. They are paying for this medical but can they do this? Surely if I am fit to drive for the one year they renewed my license then I have proved myself to be fit to drive for the future.

If anyone has heard of this before please let me know how you got on.
Hi tottenham linda..
I had my license revoked after my first medical because of significantly high liver function results..I have not long had my license back after passing my second medical..I have not heard of anyone on any of the dd web forums that have just got their license re-emplicated for just a year, and then another medical is required..I can only presume that when you passed your second medical to obtain your license back that the results were maybe border line with the requirements, but was still a pass, and thus making them re-test you again..If i were you, then i would ring up the dvla medical and obtain a copy of your last medical results which you passed to obtain to your license back, to see what the results were like..On speaking to different people on this and another forum, when they issue your license back after your medical no correspondence of the medical which you took is passed onto you..They just send through the post your license and thats it..Sorry cant be any more help..Once again as previous people have said, the dvla medical board are a law amongst themselves..

Hiya, I'm gonna do that ring up DVLA and get the results of my last medical which they gave me my licence back on. But I'm not sure DVLA will supply me with them. Do I have a legal right to them?

No one I've spoke to has heard of only been reinstated for one year either. They seem to make up the rules as they go along.

I will let you know what happens.

Hiya, I'm gonna do that ring up DVLA and get the results of my last medical which they gave me my licence back on. But I'm not sure DVLA will supply me with them. Do I have a legal right to them?

No one I've spoke to has heard of only been reinstated for one year either. They seem to make up the rules as they go along.

I will let you know what happens.

Hi linda..
Other people that i have spoken to have obtained their results back..You paid for the medical yourself, so by rights the results are yours..

Hi Paul, I rang DVLA today and they told me I have to put my request in writing and then the doctors will consider it.

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago with my GP and my gamma gt was high at 160 and my ALT was just one point over. I haven't drank since and I aint booked my medical yet with their doctor. I have to have an appointment booked by next week but Im leaving it as long as poss so that my gt will come down. Any idea how long it takes for these results to come down?

I'm really p.......ed off that I have to go for another medical after they let me drive for a year. I feel like DVLA have still got a hold over me even though I served my ban!

Hi Paul, I rang DVLA today and they told me I have to put my request in writing and then the doctors will consider it.

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago with my GP and my gamma gt was high at 160 and my ALT was just one point over. I haven't drank since and I aint booked my medical yet with their doctor. I have to have an appointment booked by next week but Im leaving it as long as poss so that my gt will come down. Any idea how long it takes for these results to come down?

I'm really p.......ed off that I have to go for another medical after they let me drive for a year. I feel like DVLA have still got a hold over me even though I served my ban!
hi lynda.
from what i can remember your gamma level has to be less then 40 for your medical, although you only have to pass 3 out of the 4 things that thay test for..ie gamma alt mcv and ast.. if i was you i would go to your nearest Holland and Barret, and get some pure milk thistle capsules and take the maximum dose per day, which is 3, until you have your medical..this will help reduce your gamma level..do not drink 1 single alcoholic drink until after your medical..:)

Thanks Paul, I don't think my gamma level has ever been below 40. I had my blood done many times last year leading up to my medical and the lowest I got it to was just over 100. I have been reading up on a couple of the dd forums and you appear to be quite an expert on them now. I probably will be after this as well. If I don't pass I will lose my job as I won't be able to get to work. I rang up the dvla doctor this week and they said they could offer me an appointment for next week but that is too soon I want more time to bring my gamma levels down so I'm gona ring next week and then fax over my appointment to dvla as it has to be 21 days from their letter date. This is worrying me badly. At least you passed I aint never going thru this again.

Having sourced info from other websites in preparation for my medical, I have found the following "ideal" levels of each of the four catagories tested for. These are not DVLA acceptable levels but ideal levels in general.

GGT 5-35
AST 5-45
MCV 80-100
BAC, Should be 0% if you've been laying of the juice for a few weeks!

My ban of 9months ended on January 4th 2010. I was so glad to get it over and done with. I phoned the week previously and was told I was classed as a high risk offender. I unfortunately had no noticed from the dvl(ni) 2-3 months before hand . What it has meant for me though is having to arrange my medical after my ban had ended. Let me tell you one thing, there is certainly no rushing these guys, and I recieved a letter over 3 weeks after my recorded delivery letter had been recieved by them with new my licence app, giving me a date for a medical on 22nd february. I rang the surgery in question to be told that there where no earlier dates...I find this ahrdly to believe seeing as it is indeed a private medical I am paying for.

anyhows, I am slightly worried about this test. I did a fair bit of drinking over xmas (dont we all) and as a young spud at 23 I am out quite a bit with my friends. I however have stopped altogether since the first week in january, bar two occassions where I have drunk 2 bottles of beer last week, and on sat night I had a huge family celebration which meant I had quite a few pints etc

I am determined to drink nothing from now until the 22nd, I'm just hoping everything goes well for me!:confused:

Let us know how it goes, we'll have questions. Think of the likely ones before you go so you can ask aswell.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off