Dvla medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rashedur187

Hi everyone

It's been a very long process with the dvla.
I made an application to get my licence back after A ban on May 2020. I was dependant on alcohol back in October 2018. Since then I have not seen my gp as I haven't had any problems. I took my medical test on 5th September 2020 and passed with a score of 0.6%. The last time I consumed alcohol was on January and March 2020, had four beers in total after a year. The dvla sent my gp the medical questionnaire and was filled out and sent back on September. On December 11th I was refused because I was dependent on alcohol back in 2018 and my gp put not known on some of the answers as I have not been in contact with them. So after waiting over 7 months the dvla refused me from my last drink in March 2020 - March 2021. I spoke to my gp about my refusal and my gp reffered me to take a full blood count test which I took after a week of my refusal. My blood levels are normal. I then took a liver function test after 3 weeks on 13th Jan 2021 which shows abnormal and took a cdt test ordered from medichecks at a clinic near my gp which I got 0.7%. I am worried now as I waited over 7 months on my previous application and was refused. On my liver function test serum total protein is high by 1 number and serum albumin is high by 3 numbers, everything else is within range. What do i need to do? I have given my cdt results to my gp, they are aware that I am not dependent anymore. I got 0.6 with dvla and 0.7 with medichecks and the fbc test is normal and my ggt levels are 22. Would the full blood count test matter to the dvla as the lft is abnormal or would they refuse me a license? If they refuse me, will I have to wait another year? It will be a year on march that I have abstained. Does the lft test mean that alcohol was consumed to the dvla because I am confused. I passed 3 out of 4 tests. I have another cdt test kit at home which I will take again in two weeks time. I will put my timescale down for the people who want an estimate as to how long the process can take.

Date of application 23/5/20
Dvla application scanned on system 17/7/20
Received letter to book medical 11/8/20
Took dvla medical 5/9/20
Dvla wrote to gp 1/10/20
Gp sent dd2 form back to dvla 8/10/20
Dvla wrote to gp asking for hospital records 23/10/20
I went hospital for dependancy on October 2018
Gp sent hospital records 2/11/20
Dvla refused license on 11/12/20

If you had an abnormal result to the LDT result, despite your CDT score being low then it suggests that there is smomething other than alcohol abuse causing the poor result.
I would expect your GP to have ordered further tests to try to establish what medical condition could be raising your result.
Have a look at this link that talks about abnormal total protein results. It explains that the reasons can be anything from dehydration to (unlikely to be) cancer.

You need to try to have a a explanation to offer to DVLA to persuade them to reconsider their refusal.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off