Dvla medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

bonnie1989

Hi all

I'm just wondering will Diazepam make an negative impact when I am assessed at the DVLA medical. (I take this for anxiety reasons) If it does I'd rather not take the medication. I certainly won't be drinking upto the run of the medical, going to be quite hard seeing as it's Christmas but I think getting my license is more important

Hi all

I'm just wondering will Diazepam make an negative impact when I am assessed at the DVLA medical. (I take this for anxiety reasons) If it does I'd rather not take the medication. I certainly won't be drinking upto the run of the medical, going to be quite hard seeing as it's Christmas but I think getting my license is more important

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drug-drive-legislation-am-i-fit-to-drive

You will be fine but the DVLA will probably wright to your Doctor for confirmation on your health status IE suicidal thoughts , but should ok to drive providing the Doctor has agreed

Sometimes you will be asked to take a drugs test as well - diazepam is used recreationally and is not recommended to be on long term repeat. If it is a small dose - 2mg or less a day - then they are more likely to disregard it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drug-drive-legislation-am-i-fit-to-drive
the law is vague as usual and puts the onus on you by saying "as long as it doesnt effect you" but if plod pulls you over and deems you effected they will arrest you regardless - unfair as they should say yes you can drive under these specific limits

Get a letter off your GP stating that it does not effect your driving - if he wont do that tell him to get you off them and onto something that wont effect your driving in anyway

Last edited:
The GP will not give you a letter saying you can drive safely on Diazepam (sorry Rufus). They will give you a prescription and tell you, or the box instructions will tell you, not to drive if you feel impaired.

The law allows you to have a higher than normal DD limit for prescription meds IF you are taking them as prescribed AND you do not feel impaired. It has to be a personal judgement not least because Diszepam effects everyone differently, especially with tolerances on long term doses.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off