DVLA medical upcoming

Convicted Driver Insurance

rufus

Established Member
Hi all, coming to the end of my ban and now have to pass the medical for high risk offender (refusal of sample).

wondering if i pass the CDT test will the DVLA have any need to contact my GP ? I have depression and was binge drinking in the past and have mentioned this to my GP.

PS are there any suppliments that you would recommend taking before the test date.

thanks in advance

Rufus,
i have answered most of this in another thread you started, but as to the supplements..... quite a few people say Milk Thistle has helped them. I am not convinced that it actually does, but there is no evidence that it causes harm and it is cheap.....

Thanks

What is the score with the DVLA GP getting in touch with your GP even though you have passed the CDT - surely if you pass, this is proof you have your drinking under control (for 5 weeks at least and if you can do 5 weeks then you dont have an alcohol problem) if the test is not fit for purpose why have it.

I only visit my gp once a year at most so he would have a clue how I am regarding alcohol just how I was - and if they need proof why isnt this made clear at the court or with a covering letter from the DVLA about what is expected regarding proof.

I may be being pessimistic but my GP wasnt exactly supportive in the past so I guess I screwed now even if I pass

I'm sure even you don't believe that if you can cut down drinking for a relatively short period then it proves you don't abuse or depend on alcohol when you know there isn't a test on the horizon.

Your GP will have access to all your recent history, a summary of all your medical file as well as information such as A&E admissions, so they can take a much more nuanced view. The DVLA pays them (from memory) £96 for filling out the questionnaire so they clearly attach value to the information.

If there is information on your medical file regarding alcohol the best thing would be to book an appointment and discuss it with them - much better you allay any concerns than the DVLA refuse your licence with the cost and extension to the ban that entails. Let's face it, most of us on these boards enjoy a drink, what the GP will have on their mind is whether you enjoy a drink so much you would have one even if you have to drive. Obviously you need to convince them it is a definite no.

people who have alcohol dependence would not be able to just abstain for 5 weeks, it may be a relativly short period to you but to them it would be nigh on impossible unless they had addressed the problem previously and worked towards this.
As stated my problem and many like me dont visit their GP on a regular basis and the last thing on record was alcohol missuse while suffering from depression and this would be used against me even though its old info.
I have made an appointment with my GP to rectify this and give them an update but its thier choice to add it to my record and they have not been very sympathetic previously.
I would advise people never to mention drinking to thier GP as you are tarred with this brush forever more.

I recently applied for my licence back, I stated I had EUPD and would use alcohol as coping mechanism, MISUSE, I had been abstinent for 8 months, they wrote to my GP who provided incorrect information on the M2 questionnaire, I only discovered this as I have access to my records, she sent a rectification letter, after they refused my application, I have received a phone call from the DVLA to say that my review was successful and would need to submit a further application, they would then send me for the CDT test, even though I supplied copies of blood tests and scan showing normal liver function and no liver damage my solicitors said you just have to let them do what they are going to do they are a law unto themselves.

so they want aother cdt test even through you have passed a previous one recently

Ps how do you get access to your records?

It doesn't matter what the last thing you saw them for was. Your GP will almost certainly be basing his response on your summary care record. That only displays detailed information for the past three years. Any previous appointments will only be shown if they are deemed significant, and even then will be a one line standardised summary - normally just the units of alcohol you said you drank.

If it's high that only really shows you're extra truthful as everyone lies when their doctor asks them how much they drink! :giggle:

To access your medical records you need to submit a request to your GP practice, and they have to provide them for free within 30 days. However, your summary care record is accessible to anyone with NHS Spine access (only NHS staff, not DVLA, police etc. although trust me a lot of police wish they could access it) so you may find they will print that out for you if you ask.

so they want aother cdt test even through you have passed a previous one recently

Ps how do you get access to your records?
I have not had a CDT test yet, I was advised they would not be sending me for one because I supplied a scan showing no liver damage and blood test results showing normal liver function and they would just write to my GP, but because my GP stated dependency as well as misuse the refused my application, my GP wrote a rectification letter and they reviewed my case which was successful but even though I supplied them with blood test results and a scan because my GP had had put that they sent me the £90 back, so they have said I need to submit a new application but to be sure they will send me for a CDT test. I have online access to my medical records, if you can book appointments and order prescriptions online from your GP there should be a link to request full patient access, submit your request they will action it, mine was activated in a couple of days.

All I can say is what I was told, because I had supplied them with so much information, M1, DR1, scan & blood test results, they said they would only be writing to my GP basically for confirmation, but because she provided false information, they refused my application, she sent a rectification letter and based on this reviewed the decision, they would have to accept her word otherwise they would in effect being calling a medical prof a liar, so I have had to make a new application and this time I am being sent for the CDT test, I hope as my scan shows no liver damage and my blood results show all normal liver functions and Ive been abstinent for 10 months that the CDT test will be fine.

Am I right in saying that you have not been convicted of drink driving, but you lost your licence because of medical issues? If that is correct then it answers Rufus’s point because you are not a high Risk Offender.

Am I right in saying that you have not been convicted of drink driving, but you lost your licence because of medical issues? If that is correct then it answers Rufus’s point because you are not a high Risk Offender.
No I lost my licence in 2000 for DD my third offence but never bothered to apply for it back till now, but from what I understood the DVLA medical people decided to only write to my GP because I provided them with so much medical evidence it was only when my GP provided false info and my application was refused they decided to send me for the CDT once I had submitted a further application, I am now waiting for the letter advising as to where I need to make the appt, and although my blood results show all liver function is normal and the scan shows no liver damage, I have read rather a few negatives about the CDT results where people have stated there is no reason for a false reading but it has come back false, would you know how I would get a copy of the results once I have had the test

I would think as you pay for the medical you are entitled to it but knowing this country it will be kept secert and only for the eyes of the dvla

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off