DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Voila means "here it is" in French more or less. I have to say that Mrb's post smacks of provocation. I really don't mean to be rude, but if this really is your 4th DD and you're still "trying to dispell urban myths" you either need your head tested or I sincerely hope you will get caught again and this time spend some time in the can so that you can think things through. You drink, smoke weed and take cocaine on top of taking antidepressants which indicates you do have some mental health problems. Letting you drive again is like letting a maniac loose on the streets armed with a gun and a machete. But then again, this is the society we live in. If your story is true, it's not only unfair but worrying and sad. :eek:

I called DVLA on Thursday and got to speak to a supervisor after speaking to yet another clerk, who admitted that "it is taking a bit too long!". Got details of their Complaints Unit and the name of the person who is in charge of that unit. They wouldn't give me my blood test results over the phone - I would have to write to them (and we can all guess how long this would take...) I said I was quite amazed as according to the Data Protection Act etc. I should be able to have full access to my details, but the supervisor said they needed something with my signature on it to disclose information! As I didn't have access to a fax machine I just settled for the details of the Complaints Unit. I have also asked them what it was they had written to my GP about and could they read me their reply and she said this would have been a questionnaire similar to the one I had to answer myself at the time of my medical. Of course she couldn't say why this is all taking so long either.

Anyhow, she said she would pull my case out of the queue for a 48 hour turn around and when I call them on Tuesday I should be able to know the end result of this sorry mess. :) I still can't believe this will be it, but will let you know of course, cos this time it really should be a yes or a no. :confused:

Voila means "here it is" in French more or less. I have to say that Mrb's post smacks of provocation. I really don't mean to be rude, but if this really is your 4th DD and you're still "trying to dispell urban myths" you either need your head tested or I sincerely hope you will get caught again and this time spend some time in the can so that you can think things through. You drink, smoke weed and take cocaine on top of taking antidepressants which indicates you do have some mental health problems. Letting you drive again is like letting a maniac loose on the streets armed with a gun and a machete. But then again, this is the society we live in. If your story is true, it's not only unfair but worrying and sad. :eek:

I called DVLA on Thursday and got to speak to a supervisor after speaking to yet another clerk, who admitted that "it is taking a bit too long!". Got details of their Complaints Unit and the name of the person who is in charge of that unit. They wouldn't give me my blood test results over the phone - I would have to write to them (and we can all guess how long this would take...) I said I was quite amazed as according to the Data Protection Act etc. I should be able to have full access to my details, but the supervisor said they needed something with my signature on it to disclose information! As I didn't have access to a fax machine I just settled for the details of the Complaints Unit. I have also asked them what it was they had written to my GP about and could they read me their reply and she said this would have been a questionnaire similar to the one I had to answer myself at the time of my medical. Of course she couldn't say why this is all taking so long either.

Anyhow, she said she would pull my case out of the queue for a 48 hour turn around and when I call them on Tuesday I should be able to know the end result of this sorry mess. :) I still can't believe this will be it, but will let you know of course, cos this time it really should be a yes or a no. :confused:
Good luck sillytoo hope you get it back tomorrow.

Good luck sillytoo hope you get it back tomorrow.

Thanks, mate - it actually worked, just called DVLA and found out my licence has been posted to me this morning!!! :):D:) I'm soo happy I could scream, but can't cos I'm at work... ;) Yippeeeee!!!!!

Anyway, I suggest you call them too and ask nicely for your case to be pulled out of the queue as it has taken way too long.

I will be putting a complaint in though. Even if they don't give me a refund or anything, I just want someone to explain to me why it took over 2 months to return the licence to me if there was nothing wrong with my results in the first place! :mad:

And get this: the nice lady said it could take up to two weeks for the licence to arrive - WHAT? She said that it probably wouldn't but they say this to be on the safe side. I guess if the poxy cover letter took a week, then this doesn't surprise me! I also asked if the paper licence is returned at the same time as the photocard. She said it is, the photocard comes glued to the paper counterpart.

I will report back when they're both safely in my hand!

Thanks, mate - it actually worked, just called DVLA and found out my licence has been posted to me this morning!!! :):D:) I'm soo happy I could scream, but can't cos I'm at work... ;) Yippeeeee!!!!!

Anyway, I suggest you call them too and ask nicely for your case to be pulled out of the queue as it has taken way too long.

I will be putting a complaint in though. Even if they don't give me a refund or anything, I just want someone to explain to me why it took over 2 months to return the licence to me if there was nothing wrong with my results in the first place! :mad:

And get this: the nice lady said it could take up to two weeks for the licence to arrive - WHAT? She said that it probably wouldn't but they say this to be on the safe side. I guess if the poxy cover letter took a week, then this doesn't surprise me! I also asked if the paper licence is returned at the same time as the photocard. She said it is, the photocard comes glued to the paper counterpart.

Nice one,glad you got it back.Ive just got off the phone to DVLA and been told that my info is still with the medical team and that they are still dealing with cases from the beginning of `JULY`and that it could be up to 4 weeks until my case is looked at!Tell me what you did to get yours looked at quicker.

Mr Waiting, what I've learnt from my dealings with the DVLA is that it really very much depends who you get through to on the phone. Some people are much more clued up and helpful (or rather willing to help) than others, but then I guess it's the same with most government agencies, eh? The standards are just really different but you need to be persistent. Call them again tomorrow. You may get a more helpful person on the phone, but still ask for a supervisor, especially if they don't offer to pull out your case. Say that you would like to put an official complaint in, this should rattle their cage a little bit to start with.

Try to be calm and collected :mad: (I know... ;)) and explain politely and rationally that by all standards this has now taken way too long and you've been given no indication as to what's wrong, or indeed that anything is wrong. You have phoned a number of times and have been told that you are on top of the list etc., but nothing's happened. Give them facts: I've had my medical so many months ago, you've had my GP's response for so many weeks and my license was due to be returned back over 2 months ago. Ask them what explanation they can give you and what assurances they can give you apart from "being the top of the list" again, which you have heard a number of times now. Tell them you won't hang up until you get some sort of resolution rather than a meaningless "top of the list" comment.

Why don't you mention this forum and the fact that you know that somebody in similar situation had their case pulled out for a 48 hour turn around and consequently got their licence sent back (fingers crossed, I'm still thinking it's not true until I see it! ;)). Say that other people whose disqualifications finished much later than yours have already received their licences without having to wait for so long. Explain that you really want to know one way or another and that you find the length of wait totally unacceptable, particularly as you've paid for and done a rehab course and have now lost 2 months of the reduction through no fault of yours.

Above all, try not to get angry, the calmer you are throughout - the better it will work! Good luck and let us know how you got on! :)

OK, folks, that's me done then. :)

The licence arrived this morning, the wait is over and everything's done and dusted as far as I'm concerned. Yipppeeeeee!!!!!! :)

Or shall I say it will be once I've put in the complaint which I intend to do tonight...

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting...I'll be hitting the car dealers this weekend...:D

Congratulations Sillytoo, glad to hear you got there in the end.

Will be interested to follow what happens regarding your complaint.

Fingers crossed for Mr Waiting now then...

Who knows? It arrived in a brown prepaid envelope, so has no date stamp, but then again who cares..? :D:D:D
nice 1 sillytoo glad you got there in the end,ive been told anything upto 3 weeks last time i rang so we wait and see.Give `ACADEMY`insurance a call for a quote they beat everyone else hands down 01179 827 051.

Thanks for the tip on the insurance, cos what I'm looking at right now is anything between £1.2 and 1.7K because I'd written off the previous car and completely lost No Claims Discount. :(

Good luck with yours Mr Waiting!

Hi Everybody

This is my first time here I have now nearly completed 18 months of a 2 year ban, done the rehab course etc I have today received the letter req me to go for a medical etc ok questions are this , I have noticed someone on here say about their letter was marked HRO 3 and not HRO1 and therefore puts them in a higher risk category etc does anyone else know what their ltr was marked with mine says HRO 5 , I was 237 in blood, I have a short history where I have gone in to hospital for a detox last one over 18 months ago having read the form you need to fill in do I have to declare all this ?? lets face it, If my liver test comes back ok they might not req any info of my GP or is that a foregone conclusion that they will ?? do I be economical when answering the medical questinaire ? I know my liver function is OK cause its just been done by my GP and he says its ok but if I am economical with the truth and they do contact my GP then it is very likley to prolong matters only 3 weeks to the date of reinstatment of my licence ;-) OK so I had a bad time and drank to much but I am over it now and feel that this is so unfair anybody got any thoughts ?? mhope everyone gets what they want ;-)

Hiya

Do you know if they req a report from your own GP ??

My reading was 261 in blood, so higher than yours but this was my first offence. My letter said H03 though.

Yes, they do contact your own GP and I was told it was now standard practice and not optional. So I'm sure the higher risk they deem you to be, the more likely it is that they will write to the doc. DVLA had written to at least 3-4 people's GPs on this thread (including mine) in the recent 2-3 months. I would therefore tell them the truth.

If you read through the whole thread, there's a lot of info here, which there's no point in repeating, so please go back to the first few pages and your queries might be answered. Good luck!

My reading was 261 in blood, so higher than yours but this was my first offence. My letter said H03 though.

Yes, they do contact your own GP and I was told it was now standard practice and not optional. So I'm sure the higher risk they deem you to be, the more likely it is that they will write to the doc. DVLA had written to at least 3-4 people's GPs on this thread (including mine) in the recent 2-3 months. I would therefore tell them the truth.

If you read through the whole thread, there's a lot of info here, which there's no point in repeating, so please go back to the first few pages and your queries might be answered. Good luck!

Hi Sillytoo

Thanks for such a quick response much appreciated, its a m ine feaild isnt it I think reading all this it is down to a little luck of the draw so to speak ie a lotterry and also like you said some real good advice on here takes some siffting thru oh well nothing more I can do now apart from hope that the test etc comes back in my favour etc am gutted they ask for a medical on my rehab course they said if they did not ask for one in ten days after they rec your app then they wont be asking wot a load of crap will keep you infrormed

hope all is well take care

Guys, I'm sorry to be a bore (I promise I won't bleat about my conviction , well at least not in this post..) but in your experience, how long am I looking at for my licence to come back.. a synopsis:

1) Disqualified on Feb 18th 2010, for 12 months fr failing to supply. Reduction for completing the TTC DD course to 9 months.

2) Completed the TTC DD course on 4th Sept

3) Found out two weeks after course that they were missing my disclaimer.

4) Filled in my disclaimer and returned it last week.

I have all the literature ready to go, but I'm waiting on the Certificate.

Realistically people, how long am I looking at?

Theoretically I should have my licence back by Nov 18th. Given that I have to have a medical, I can't see that happening.

I know I learned a lot from my course, but momentarily I'm wondering what the hell benefit there was, cost wise. Because judging from what you've all said, it takes weeks to hear back from the DVLA. It cost me a fortune to catch the train, after they cancelled my nearest course, and then the course facilitator (who I will maintain was superb, apart from maybe paperwork) still managed to mislay my disclaimer).

So now, I'm waiting for my certificate, waiting to apply for a licence, therefore waiting for a medical. etc etc.

I'm starting to think that I might as well have waited for my full ban to be up, whereupon I could have saved myself £200??

Be harsh! Be Real! Just Be honest!

You're probably right actually...:(

You don't need the certificate yourself - the company you took the course wit will send it to DVLA and they will automatically adjust your disqualification period. They will then write to you to invite you to apply for the licence. Once you return your application they will then contact you again to arrange the medical. Then it's always likely that after your medical, they will want to contact your GP....etc.

Personally, I can't see how all of the above can be done in a month. :rolleyes:

Oh and did I mention that they actually do not return the same licence you surrendered? They issue a brand new one using the details i.e. photo and signature they already have on your file. The one I got back is valid from 28 September 2010 i.e. the day they supposedly posted it to me. It's only valid until March 2012 (which is when the "old" one would have expired anyway). They now want you to change your licence every 10 years to update your photo etc. What a nice little earner for them, eh?

Guys, I'm sorry to be a bore (I promise I won't bleat about my conviction , well at least not in this post..) but in your experience, how long am I looking at for my licence to come back.. a synopsis:

1) Disqualified on Feb 18th 2010, for 12 months fr failing to supply. Reduction for completing the TTC DD course to 9 months.

2) Completed the TTC DD course on 4th Sept

3) Found out two weeks after course that they were missing my disclaimer.

4) Filled in my disclaimer and returned it last week.

I have all the literature ready to go, but I'm waiting on the Certificate.

Realistically people, how long am I looking at?

Theoretically I should have my licence back by Nov 18th. Given that I have to have a medical, I can't see that happening.

I know I learned a lot from my course, but momentarily I'm wondering what the hell benefit there was, cost wise. Because judging from what you've all said, it takes weeks to hear back from the DVLA. It cost me a fortune to catch the train, after they cancelled my nearest course, and then the course facilitator (who I will maintain was superb, apart from maybe paperwork) still managed to mislay my disclaimer).

So now, I'm waiting for my certificate, waiting to apply for a licence, therefore waiting for a medical. etc etc.

I'm starting to think that I might as well have waited for my full ban to be up, whereupon I could have saved myself £200??

Be harsh! Be Real! Just Be honest!
Well all i can say mate is be patient,you wont rush them,when you have had your medical from what ive read on hear they ask for more details from your GP from EVERYONE.This happened to me and the DVLA received my details from GP on 11 August which is 10 weeks ago.I rang again today to be told that they are dealing with cases received 15 July so who knows when i will find out the result.All i can say is if your desperate to drive find out when your ban is officially up an get the letter off them to prove it and you can be driving for three months before theyve made their decision.One big painful process.

Where are these posts explaining letter reference codes and higher risks?? I've not seen them, mine is HR03 is that bad? Does it mean they do more checks? :confused:

I wrote to the DVLA in June regarding the medical and other matters and have only just had a response. They informed me although my disqualification ends in March 2011 I should apply now! They say that arrangements will be made for me to be examined by a doctor in my area at a cost of £96 plus VAT. They don't give me any indication of how long it will take to get a medical or how long the results will come in I can only imagine it will take some time if they've asked me to apply 7 months in advance. I think it's in the lap of the gods.

Oh, I didn't know about the £90 renewal fee either.

Good luck with it, each case is probably different.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off