DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello Peeps, only me. No, no driving licence yet, but you have probably guessed it! :(

What I find strange is that Soconfused got banned for 12 months only, yet is having a medical...? Surely you can't be a high risk offender having been given such a short ban? Why are you having a medical in the first place? I wouldn't drive without the note, but then again, it may be just me...

Sadly, I think I'm becoming a bit of an expert in the matter...

Anyways...called DVLA last Friday. Yeeees, I knoooow and soooooorry but simply couldn't wait until this week. Asked why my cover note had no date on it and actually got an apology! The person said he would send me another one with the date printed on it and I'm still waiting...Maybe I shouldn't have told him I didn't really care because I don't have a car and what I'm really after is the licence...? :confused:

Kept quizzing the poor bugger on whether it's the holiday period that's to blame or what the hell was the reason why I'd been waiting for so long... but he seemed like a nice chap so I didn't let rip. He said he honestly couldn't see why my case (which, may I remind you, was marked as high priority on the 26th of July) shouldn't be resolved this week. Well, it's only Wednesday I suppose and it's a bloody long way from Swindon if you're posting stuff via pigeons. :p

He also mentioned (and I could be wrong here) that they're getting....and this is the bit that I didn't quite hear: seven to eight or seventy to eighty thousand cases a month. Now, I'm inclined to believe it's 7-8K, 'cos otherwise, surely the roads would be empty...? Still seems a very high number. Why don't DVLA employ a few more people in times of such high demand? I'm sure some of the good people of Wales wouldn't mind coming off the dole to help the national crisis? Hell, I know quite a few people from down sarf who wouldn't mind getting a seasonal job if it's going.

Overall a bloody shambles as stated before. And Mr Waiting - if you got your licence by now, don't even dream about posting your good news here 'cos I'm pissed off. :mad:

No, not really please let us know if you got it back....:)

BTW it's my 16th wedding anniversary tomorrow and I was hoping to be able to have a car and surprise my husband (yes, I am a woman) to a short break in the country. Instead, we might have a walk in the park. And before you ask, he doesn't have a licence.

Long live the DVLA, the cesspit of all British bureaucracies, surely...?

Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh

Hi everyone,
This situation with the DVLA is bloody nightmare, I got banned back in Nov 2008 for 24 months, I paid for the drink drive awareness course and attended over the three days which is supposed to get my licence back by the 27th September. I had the medical on the 27th August and just called the DVLA, who now confirm they have the results, but won’t tell me what the results tell them, only that they now have to go the DVLA medical board for final decision. Like everyone else on here, I'm very regretful of my actions, but all the same feel I've paid the price and their just taking the piss now. I'm waiting on some job offers on the basis of being able to drive, as I pointed out to the DVLA, I can't accept a job offer on the basis of having a temporary licence. Like any other government agency, there just so slow and dont seem to give a ****, good luck to everyone one here.

hiya. i was caught first then before banned got caught again and blew a higher reading so i suppose thats why i had medical. had it today so waiting game now and phoned dvla and they informed me that i am covered to drive as soon as ban is up. hope yours get sorted soon and hope i am not waiting as long ahhhhhhhhhhh :confused:

Well DVLA said thier sending a cover note, but that dosent really cut it, they've had the cash for licence , plus the medical and god knows what else, Ill keep you posted on progress.

Got the new whatsit letter on Friday with the end date of my ban printed on it this time. Still no licence though.

Actually I'm beginning to appreciate DVLA tactics now, cos if nothing else will put you off drink driving, the long wait and the whole palaver of getting the licence back will!

Boy, am I gonna get drunk when the licence arrives though or what! :D

Hi All,

Just to update you all my new photo license arrived today. Contrary to what some have said on here I received no letter saying the DVLA were contacting my doctor for further information.

From the date I had my medical to now is just 24 days.

It is stupid how some of you are waiting months with nothing yet mine is sorted in just over 3 weeks!

Anyway best of luck to everyone I'll an eye on the forums as it has been a great source of info.

Simon

I'm genuinely pleased for you Simon and obviously your liver must be in a much better condition than mine since they're still debating over my licence! :( All things considered, yours arrived some 10 days late too though and this is despite them not having written to your GP.

I never received a letter from DVLA saying they would contact my GP, they just did. Well, they are a law unto themselves though.

It's now been over 3 months since I had my medical on the 14th of June and it'll be 2 months next week since the licence was due back. What can I say? Not a lot really. Every time I call them they can't give me an answer. :mad:

I'm genuinely pleased for you Simon and obviously your liver must be in a much better condition than mine since they're still debating over my licence! :( All things considered, yours arrived some 10 days late too though and this is despite them not having written to your GP.

I never received a letter from DVLA saying they would contact my GP, they just did. Well, they are a law unto themselves though.

It's now been over 3 months since I had my medical on the 14th of June and it'll be 2 months next week since the licence was due back. What can I say? Not a lot really. Every time I call them they can't give me an answer. :mad:

Can I just ask sillytoo, were you/are you a heavy/regular drinker? Did you stop drinking leading up to the medical?

I would say im a bit of a binge drinker, but not on a frequent basis. Can go months without drinking but when I do go for a drink, I tend to drink a lot. Anyway, I have a medical next week. I havent touched a drop of alcohol for 2 months, however been taking codeine/paracetomol/ibuprofen for past two weeks due to a very sore (broken bone i think) foot. Not sure if this would affect ast/alt etc? Been thinking of putting it off just in case, but I just want it all done and dusted so I can start making concrete plans for the future.

I hardly drink during the week, but like yourself binge drink at weekends, although again not every weekend. It's a social thing. I'm over 40 though, so doing this over the years must have had some effect on my liver. I had some blood tests done in March this year and asked my GP prior to going for the DVLA medical whether my results would pass and he said that they were perfectly within normal limits. I only stopped drinking totally for 11 days before the medical on the assumption that if the damage was done, no amount of staying tee total would help. Obviously in hindsight I probably should have stayed off the booze completely for much longer. :rolleyes:

Ah well, still waiting....

Mr Waiting - are you around? Have you got yours yet? :confused:

Good night All....

Coursecomplete - I'm not sure about the tablets affecting the results but I didn't drink for 6 weeks before the Medical and hammered loads of water, fruit and Milk Thistle tablets. Before that I was a fairly heavy weekend drinker and had been for about 12 years.

I did also make the point of being honest about my alcohol intake to the quack as I figured if the results of the LFT contradicted this then I would be looked at more closely.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good luck sillytoo, the wait must be frustrating.

Stupididiot, grats on getting your licence back, must be a relief. Like you I have also been taking milk thistle for past few weeks.

Fingers crossed I will be on here posting I have recieved my licence through the post in a few weeks :D. Then the whole sorry mess wil FINALLY be over!!

ye im still here and still no license yet.

How frustrating! I figure you and I should get ours at the same time because our bans finished more or less at the same time, so you're my best sounding board at the moment I think. And no, I've not had mine either... :mad:

well as you know i should of had mine back 26 july so next week is 2 month.I was meant to get 5 and half month off my ban with the ttc course,now it already down to 3 and half,will I get any refund?

How frustrating! I figure you and I should get ours at the same time because our bans finished more or less at the same time, so you're my best sounding board at the moment I think. And no, I've not had mine either... :mad:
hey silly too,i rang DVLA today and was told that i am top of the list,urgent and that there has been a six week backlog from when they recieved info from my GP,which was 11 august.If i dont hear anything by next week have to ring them so fingers crossed,ill keep you posted.

Hi Mr Waiting

Yep, heard this one before too. Apparently my case's been marked urgent on the 26th of July - the day your ban ended. I think I'm beginning to be a bit sentimental in remembering dates etc. Oh, and they've had my GP's response since 20th of July. :rolleyes:

If you and I are the top of the list, I dread to think about the poor sods whose cases are not so urgent. :confused:

Well, I'm actually going to call them tomorrow for a bit of a chat. It's now been over 3 months from my medical and 2 months from the end of the ban. :mad:

I'll report back tomorrow or shall I say later on today...:D

Stupididiot, grats on getting your licence back, must be a relief. Like you I have also been taking milk thistle for past few weeks.

i too have just received my licence back after a 42 month ban, i was lucky i went to the dr 2weeks 2days ago, and new licence popped through the door yesterday.

i was told years ago that their is no need to stop drinking, taking drugs or anything illegal , all they look for is liver damage.
i took up a challenge from my mate,

1/drunk usual daily consumption of around 6 pints lager up untill 24 hours before docs appointment.
2/smoked cannabis (weed) right up untill the night before.
3/took 3 grammes cocaine 36b hours before doc.(plus alcohol increase)
4/lied about my anti depressants on the form saying i had no medication.

this i did as a challenge, voila, i seemed to get it back quickest of all.
i do not condone what i did, i did it to try and dispell some urban myths.

ps,even though the doctors form says you need a urine test, this is no longer the case, so you wont ,like me, have to sit with crossed legs awaiting doctors appointment.

i too have just received my licence back after a 42 month ban, i was lucky i went to the dr 2weeks 2days ago, and new licence popped through the door yesterday.

i was told years ago that their is no need to stop drinking, taking drugs or anything illegal , all they look for is liver damage.
i took up a challenge from my mate,

1/drunk usual daily consumption of around 6 pints lager up untill 24 hours before docs appointment.
2/smoked cannabis (weed) right up untill the night before.
3/took 3 grammes cocaine 36b hours before doc.(plus alcohol increase)
4/lied about my anti depressants on the form saying i had no medication.

this i did as a challenge, voila, i seemed to get it back quickest of all.
i do not condone what i did, i did it to try and dispell some urban myths.

ps,even though the doctors form says you need a urine test, this is no longer the case, so you wont ,like me, have to sit with crossed legs awaiting doctors appointment.
im sorry but this just seems a bit far fetched to me,i cannot believe anyone would go to these lengths just to dispell some urban myths.(ps what is voila?)

im sorry but this just seems a bit far fetched to me,i cannot believe anyone would go to these lengths just to dispell some urban myths.(ps what is voila?)

read into it what you want, i don't intend driving again, i got the licence for identitification only.
reason i'm not driving again is that is a fairly usual usage of drink and drugs. do you think i should drive again? , no i didn't think so.

42 month was for my 4th d.d. , i think i'm quite qualified to comment on this forum.

i said i did not condone this intake, but the truth is what people want, not first time accidental drink drivers (if they exist) passing on duff information, that will only cause more harm than good.

VOILA a french word of common usage in the english vocabulary meaning of added enjoyment to the result.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off