DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
If my 1 year license runs out in September and I was banned in 2019 ( license back in 2021) can I still drive under s.88 if my medical is delayed?

Absolutely gobsmacked and delighted today...

I had my medical 8 days ago, I've just checked online and as of tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a Full 10 Year Driving License.

What's shocked me most is how perfectly the timing has worked out.

My 33 month ban expires TODAY so I won't have to suffer the dreaded extension caused by the backlogs of the DVLA.

I was expecting weeks if not months to be bolted onto the end of a ban that's already felt like forever.

Thank you so much to all the help and support from everyone on this fantastic forum.

Although I've now got my licence back I intend to remain an active participant of this group to help others like so many have helped me.

It's been a marathon undertaking all this waiting and worrying, but like any undertaking - it's worth it in the end.

Best of luck to everyone

Last edited:
Absolutely gobsmacked and delighted today...

I had my medical 8 days ago, I've just checked online and as of tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a Full 10 Year Driving License.

What's shocked me most is how perfectly the timing has worked out.

My 33 month ban expires TODAY so I won't have to suffer the dreaded extension caused by the backlogs of the DVLA.

I was expecting weeks if not months to be bolted onto the end of a ban that's already felt like forever.

Thank you so much to all the help and support from everyone on this fantastic forum.

Although I've now got my licence back I intend to remain an active participant of this group to help others like so many have helped me.

It's been a marathon undertaking all this waiting and worrying, but like any undertaking - it's worth it in the end.

Best of luck to everyone
AMAZING!!! CONGRATULATIONS! Sooo happy for you!!
Can I ask if you answered yes to any of the questions?! Only one I have to answer to is mental health and honestly, when the time comes I feel I'm going to be waiting for weeks on end for my licence! Congrats again 😁😁

Luckily for me I was able to answer NO to all of the questions on the questionnaire. Although even if I had of the doctor said they're predominantly interested in alcohol related issues (so I would worry too much about mental health - much better just to be honest).

I decided to quit drinking at the time of my offence so it was almost 1000 days since my last alcoholic drink. I think the doctor was very impressed with that because he remarked that he didn't think there would be any reason I wouldn't get my licence back based on my commitment to not drinking.

Decided to post my timeline on here as others have been very useful to me.

Banned Oct 2019 for 41 Months - reduced to 32.2 Months with the DD Awareness Course.

HRO due to road side breathalyser reading - this was also my 2nd DD offence (had a 26 month ban in 2014) so I was extremely lucky to be offered the DD awareness course again.
  • 21/03/22 Posted D1 Form
  • 01/04/22 Postal Order Cashed
  • 12/04/22 Application Scanned Into DVLA System
  • 10/05/22 DVLA Posted out the Medical Letter
  • 13/05/22 Medical Letter Arrived - Booked Medical
  • 16/06/22 DVLA Medical - Answered NO to all questions.
  • 23/06/22 Full 10 Year Licence Granted (DVLA Online)
  • 27/06/22 New Photocard Licence Arrives
  • 29/06/22 Medical Results arrive - CDT recorded as 0.6% after almost 1000 days abstaining from alcohol.
Pretty much got my licence back 90 days after my initial application which I was very surprised at. Was convinced it would take considerably longer. I feel very lucky.

I've totally turned my life around after my second ban, a much happier and healthier person now that alcohol is no longer part of my life.

Getting my licence back was the last piece of the puzzle rebuilding my life..

I couldn't be happier.

Decided to post my timeline on here as others have been very useful to me.

Banned Oct 2019 for 41 Months - reduced to 32.2 Months with the DD Awareness Course.

HRO due to road side breathalyser reading - this was also my 2nd DD offence (had a 26 month ban in 2014) so I was extremely lucky to be offered the DD awareness course again.
  • 21/03/22 Posted D1 Form
  • 01/04/22 Postal Order Cashed
  • 12/04/22 Application Scanned Into DVLA System
  • 10/05/22 DVLA Posted out the Medical Letter
  • 13/05/22 Medical Letter Arrived - Booked Medical
  • 16/06/22 DVLA Medical - Answered NO to all questions.
  • 23/06/22 Full 10 Year Licence Granted (DVLA Online)
  • 27/06/22 New Photocard Licence Arrives
  • 29/06/22 Medical Results arrive - CDT recorded as 0.6% after almost 1000 days abstaining from alcohol.
Pretty much got my licence back 90 days after my initial application which I was very surprised at. Was convinced it would take considerably longer. I feel very lucky.

I've totally turned my life around after my second ban, a much happier and healthier person now that alcohol is no longer part of my life.

Getting my licence back was the last piece of the puzzle rebuilding my life..

I couldn't be happier.
Absolutely excellent post .

So still not received my letter to book a medical having sent my application in March.

Managed to speak to someone at DVLA & she gave me the usual script of ‘Covid-19, previous strike, can’t give a timescale’ and all that bollocks.

Wrote to my MP who said he has taken this up with DVLA - hopefully this might help speed things up 🤞

So still not received my letter to book a medical having sent my application in March.

Managed to speak to someone at DVLA & she gave me the usual script of ‘Covid-19, previous strike, can’t give a timescale’ and all that bollocks.

Wrote to my MP who said he has taken this up with DVLA - hopefully this might help speed things up 🤞
I sent my application in September and only just had my medical, gone down as high priority after constantly ringing

When you phone them again tell them it's now affecting your employment 👍👍

Blimey - can I ask how you managed to get high priority? I asked but was told they can’t prioritise applications.

Blimey - can I ask how you managed to get high priority? I asked but was told they can’t prioritise applications.
I went down the route of needing it for work purposes, its been a right farce getting to this point.. Dvla now have my bloods but no paperwork to show for it, i should know by the 7th I'm told

So had some crappy news, the DVLA want more information from my doctor, been told it could take another 90 days! Has anyone gone through this?

So had some crappy news, the DVLA want more information from my doctor, been told it could take another 90 days! Has anyone gone through this?
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know why? Did you tick yes to anything on the questionnaire?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off