DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi i'll update to where i am so far.

24.01 dvla sent renewal forms
24.03 medical
19.04 ban ended
04.05 received cdt result 0.6
13.05 called dvla who said they have written to gp..
How did you get your cdt results? I never had anything in the post. Dvla wouldnt tell me over the phone even when i was speaking to the medical department and also my doctor didnt know either.

How did you get your cdt results? I never had anything in the post. Dvla wouldnt tell me over the phone even when i was speaking to the medical department and also my doctor didnt know either.
I sent dvla a email it's called a subject access request

Last edited:
Hi i'll update to where i am so far.

24.01 dvla sent renewal forms
24.03 medical
19.04 ban ended
04.05 received cdt result 0.6
13.05 called dvla who said they have written to gp..
How you feeling,, I found out today they wrote to my gp on Tues, I'm so stressed,, medical was 31st march

Does anyone know if I were to get classed as misuse what date would the 6months start from, would it be date last drink noted with gp or date of the letter from dvla classing me as misuse, thanks
It is from when they write to you to decline you.

Get your GP on board straight away, get a few LFT's arranged also. Although you can reapply after 6 months, you will need to go through medical again and all the faff so 6 months means not getting your licence for at least 8 months or more probably....

How you feeling,, I found out today they wrote to my gp on Tues, I'm so stressed,, medical was 31st march
Hi i feel OK i spoke to my doctor Tuesday & he reassured me that he'd reply ASAP if they contacted him cause he knows it's so important. Gona call Mon/Tues next week see if he's filled the form out. I know it's easy said but try not to worry what will be will be. N hopefully we both find out soon!.

Hi i feel OK i spoke to my doctor Tuesday & he reassured me that he'd reply ASAP if they contacted him cause he knows it's so important. Gona call Mon/Tues next week see if he's filled the form out. I know it's easy said but try not to worry what will be will be. N hopefully we both find out soon!.
Thank you, I don't know my gp don't think she's ever seen me but I have spoken with her and informed her what's happening she said she'll go through the form with me if she gets one so it's all up to her really,

It is from when they write to you to decline you.

Get your GP on board straight away, get a few LFT's arranged also. Although you can reapply after 6 months, you will need to go through medical again and all the faff so 6 months means not getting your licence for at least 8 months or more probably....
Thanks big Tom totally not what I wanted to hear, I did speak with gp in January to inform her this might happen and had a clear lft done then, called gp today left a message with receptionist to inform her of them writing,, just want to go and see her to go through the form but she'll only fill the form with me over the phone,, told her Jan I'm more than fit to drive and never been dependent,, just depends how she answers the form with what's on my notes exactly 3yrs ago of which I told her I was really stressed at the time and went through a couple of weeks drinking too much,, I asked for an lft then 3yrs ago of which came back clear,, its crazy cause I've now already done 4months over my ban ended and nothing on my notes since May 2019... This is incredibly stressful and all I have is this forum to go through it all for a bit of piece of mind so any feedback is much appreciated thank you..

As long as you have booked or undertaken the medical, the DVLA will issue you a cover note enabling you to drive legally from the moment your ban ends, until the results of the medical are analysed. They won't to this automatically, you have to ring up and ask them to send it out.
If you are an HRO, then that would not be the case. Most if not all HRO's require their own GP to provide the DVLA with a report on their health and any impact of alcohol on it going back 6 years.

I have never heard of the DVLA giving anyone a 'cover note.'

For reference, here is my timescale for licence return. The only variable outwith DVLA control is the time it takes your GP to return their report.

As you can see it took me 210 days (approximately 7 months from the date of application,) to have my licence returned despite my ban ending on 12/10/21, 89 days after I applied.

ACTIONDAYSCOMMENT
Licence Applied For
15/07/2021​
Application form Rec'd from DVLA
27/07/2021​
Called
24/08/2021​
Cheque Cashed
31/08/2021​
Called
03/09/2021​
Medical Letter Received
14/09/2021​
Medical
30/09/2021​
Driving Ban Ends
12/10/2021​
89Date when my driving ban ended.
Called
19/10/2021​
96Told by handler that everything had been received and was with medical section
Called
12/11/2021​
120Told the CDT DR1 form was missing and that Doctor had been contacted - 1.5 hour call
Called Doctor - Glasgow Medical Rooms
12/11/2021​
120They sent everything back on the 30th Sept stapled together. They have received NO communication from DVLA regarding missing forms
Called DVLA again
13/11/2021​
121Told that 'everything was in hand' and I would be contacted asap. No idea what that means or where this leaves myself.
Called Doctor to see if DVLA had been in touch with them.
17/11/2021​
125No contact from DVLA but was told that they had a copy of my form on file and they would Fax it to DVLA today. This is contrary to what they told me last week when they sadi they do not retain copies. This info could have been faxed on the 12/22/2021. Not happy.
Letter from DVLA dated 16/11/2021 saying they had writtent to my GP.
19/11/2021​
127Received a letter from DVLA dated the 16th November saying they now had all the information from the Dr. who carried out my DVLA medical and that they had written to my GP for additional health info. Strange that when I called on the 12th November I was told the CDT DR1 from was missing and it was only on the 17th November that Dr. faxed it to the DVLA again. Someone, somewhere is telling porkies.
GP confirmed they had received a letter from DVLA
01/12/2021​
GP returned letter to DVLA
24/01/2022​
Contacted DVLA
03/02/2022​
203Letter not yet on system. Takes 10 days from receipt. Told to call back then.
Licence Returned
10/02/2022​
2101 year licence - but who cares.

My license expired 23.3, I got the d1 forms, filled them out & re-applied exactly 8 weeks before 23.3. I just received my letter from the dvla today where they have given me a dr to contact to book a medical.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for them to issue you your license after the medical (presuming all is good) ?

My license expired 23.3, I got the d1 forms, filled them out & re-applied exactly 8 weeks before 23.3. I just received my letter from the dvla today where they have given me a dr to contact to book a medical.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for them to issue you your license after the medical (presuming all is good) ?
Please see my timeline above. Only 'unknown' variable is if the DVLA contact your own GP.

Everything else is pretty much still the same.

I can’t believe my eyes today I just check online this morning and my driving status was : You have a full driving licence.
I had my medical on last Thursday 09/06/22 and got full Driving Licence today Thursday 16/06/22. It only took me a week.
Good luck to everyone :)

Had medical on the 19th of April rang dvla today again!! Still no bloods they reckon there pushing it forward or gonna book me another medical absolute piss take!!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off