DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
My husbands ban was up 9th Dec he had his medical 17th November he’s called and called they just say they are looking at it! They confirmed they have all the paperwork and his bloods. He’s rang his GP to check the dvla haven’t contacted them and they haven’t. It’s so frustrating isn’t it!
That doesn’t mean that they will not be writing to the GP soon….. welcome to the merry go round that is the process of applying for your licence back as a HRO !! (And welcome to this Forum)

That doesn’t mean that they will not be writing to the GP soon….. welcome to the merry go round that is the process of applying for your licence back as a HRO !! (And welcome to this Forum)
Hopefully if they do contact them there shouldn’t be an issue as he hasn’t been to the doctors for ages only for ear wax😂. What do they contact them for? To get more information on his record or for him to go to the doctors and be assessed?

DVLA send a form for the doctor to complete about his medical history in the past 6 years. (as well as current status) they do not ask the GP to do a medical examination (their own doctor has already done this)
DVLA should write to him to let him know if they are enquiring with his GP. If they do send the enquiry, even though there is nothing to worry about from what you say, the problem is the time factor. DVLA allow 12 weeks for the reply to be received from the GP. Some do them pretty quickly, others take the full 12 weeks as they do not see it as a priority.

DVLA send a form for the doctor to complete about his medical history in the past 6 years. (as well as current status) they do not ask the GP to do a medical examination (their own doctor has already done this)
DVLA should write to him to let him know if they are enquiring with his GP. If they do send the enquiry, even though there is nothing to worry about from what you say, the problem is the time factor. DVLA allow 12 weeks for the reply to be received from the GP. Some do them pretty quickly, others take the full 12 weeks as they do not see it as a priority.
Just feels so wrong when he got banned it was for 12 months reduced to 9 with course completed the course at cost to ourselves his work agreed to keep him on on the basis he’d have his licence back in Dec and we’re still no where near? Just so frustrating, they just done care, if he’d have been locked up he would have been released and sentence done feels like he’s still being punished even tho he’s done his time as such

I’ve had enough man, My long ban finished 8th Dec and I had my medical on the 13th Dec, they received the bloods on 16th Dec and up until now still are saying they have not received my medical paperwork from the DVLA doctor just a long wait :’( .

Feels like my ban is never ending, takes like 40 mins to get through to them via that 252 extension and every time the response is have not received the paper work back. It’s not paperwork from the gp it’s the paperwork from the DVLA doctor. Surely they must have received it by now.
I think we all have stories that can 'trump' yours.

My ban ended on 12th October. I had a medical on the 30th of September. DVLA wrote to my GP on 16th November and as of today, I am still waiting on GP returning the form to the DVLA.

So it took 6 weeks to even consider writing to my GP.

Like you, I am now past the frustration stage and feel pretty numb with the entire process and until my GP returns the form I can't hassle the DVLA. (although I have been hassling my GPO and have been 'promoted' from the Normal to Urgent to Very Urgent pile.

Just feels so wrong when he got banned it was for 12 months reduced to 9 with course completed the course at cost to ourselves his work agreed to keep him on on the basis he’d have his licence back in Dec and we’re still no where near? Just so frustrating, they just done care, if he’d have been locked up he would have been released and sentence done feels like he’s still being punished even tho he’s done his time as such
I think the issue is that some of the Medical Assessors in the DVLA take their duty of care to extremes. Some people have gotten their licence back in weeks, while I have waited 6 months almost to the day and fully expect to wait at least another 4 weeks and probably more.

Yeah I see your October Ban end date and I raise you , august :).......the 18th I might add and a medical on 24 September

Im celebrating today, today is 8 weeks since my Dr posted back my additional information that they asked for , following my original DVLA Medical in September.

Thats 8 weeks since then...... i think the 8 week anniversary is cake isnt it ? :)

i shall continue to wait .........

It is wrong. and it doesnt feel nice, and worse still there isnt anything we can do about it other than wait

Yeah I understand everyone’s had a long ride with their applications, my on
I think we all have stories that can 'trump' yours.

My ban ended on 12th October. I had a medical on the 30th of September. DVLA wrote to my GP on 16th November and as of today, I am still waiting on GP returning the form to the DVLA.

So it took 6 weeks to even consider writing to my GP.

Like you, I am now past the frustration stage and feel pretty numb with the entire process and until my GP returns the form I can't hassle the DVLA. (although I have been hassling my GPO and have been 'promoted' from the Normal to Urgent to Very Urgent pile.
Wow and yeah I’ve seen everyone has been waiting months this is so bad. Worst thing is when you’ve finished your ban and we can’t even be happy about it ending because we still can’t drive

Yeah I understand everyone’s had a long ride with their applications, my on

Wow and yeah I’ve seen everyone has been waiting months this is so bad. Worst thing is when you’ve finished your ban and we can’t even be happy about it ending because we still can’t drive
yep its the gift that keeps on giving

Wait until you get to the stage of checking the DVLA website, 50 million times a day to see if your licence has been issued as youve jumped through all the hurdles .......

I know how I feel and I can emphasise with others here on the forum. I wonder what the medical office at the DVLA is acutally like, Maybe one of them occasionally lurks on these forums to see what we are saying. It mustnt be a nice place to work..

If your like me and completely stopped drinking the day you were arrested and havent touched a drop since, this waiting game is itself enough to drive you back to drink !

Thankfully though thats not me im happy to say

Hi everyone ,
I hope price or big Tom can answer my question I last posted on the 24 November since I have had a LFT test and two gamma tests first with 115 reading second with a 103 I am about to book a third test. My questions are my ban was up on the 8 May but with going over the 14 units in September and late August I was told on the 25 October I had to prove that I am controlling drinking within government medical guidelines for six months as you can see I am doing this ,first when is the soonest I can reapply, secondly in October I will be 70 and will have to reapply before that date, the way things are looking I will have to apply for my licence twice in 9 months .when if they had of got there finger out I would have had my licence in May and the questions would have been irrelevant as to me going away in August and September. So frustrating ah?

I just spoke to the Dvla doctor they said they faxed the medical form the same day as they don’t post it out they fax it over so wouldn’t that have been received by now. So that means they faxed it over on 13th Dec.

Means DVLA just purposely taking their time. Called dvla today aswell and said still no paperwork received lol just a joke.

So, checked online today and my licence has finally been issued - thankfully it is valid until 2026 (due to the photo needing to be renewed after 10 years) so no jumping through the hoops of the medical again - full licence, not another medical one!

My timescale is as follows;

July 2020 - 1 year medical licence reissued after previous ban
April 2021 - Forms received to reapply for my licence after my previous 1 year medical licence - sent off straight away
July 2021 - Previous 1 year medical licence ran out, was able to drive on S.88
July 2021 - Letter from DVLA, writing to my GP - spoke GP and they had filled in forms and returned
September 2021 - Letter from DVLA - not received previous GP report, writing again.
September 2021 - Spoke GP again, filled forms in again and posted straight away
November 2021 - Received DVLA letter, invite to book medical
December 2021 - Medical carried out
January 2022 - Licence reissued 'til 2026

As I was able to drive under S.88, I didn't bother with the torture of trying to call DVLA - apart from once (which took me around 2 hours in total to be told that I shouldn't be chasing them for progress!!!) Pretty much took 1 month from the medical to the licence being issued, with Christmas in between - seems to be getting a bit better than it was previously (or was I just lucky???)

Those in a similar boat, just hang in there!

So, checked online today and my licence has finally been issued - thankfully it is valid until 2026 (due to the photo needing to be renewed after 10 years) so no jumping through the hoops of the medical again - full licence, not another medical one!

My timescale is as follows;

July 2020 - 1 year medical licence reissued after previous ban
April 2021 - Forms received to reapply for my licence after my previous 1 year medical licence - sent off straight away
July 2021 - Previous 1 year medical licence ran out, was able to drive on S.88
July 2021 - Letter from DVLA, writing to my GP - spoke GP and they had filled in forms and returned
September 2021 - Letter from DVLA - not received previous GP report, writing again.
September 2021 - Spoke GP again, filled forms in again and posted straight away
November 2021 - Received DVLA letter, invite to book medical
December 2021 - Medical carried out
January 2022 - Licence reissued 'til 2026

As I was able to drive under S.88, I didn't bother with the torture of trying to call DVLA - apart from once (which took me around 2 hours in total to be told that I shouldn't be chasing them for progress!!!) Pretty much took 1 month from the medical to the licence being issued, with Christmas in between - seems to be getting a bit better than it was previously (or was I just lucky???)

Those in a similar boat, just hang in there!
Had my letter through today, my CDT was 0.8%, same as last time.

Interesting though they seem to have changed the wording on the explanation letter, it now states;

Below 1.6%
A %CDT result below 1.6 is consistent with, but does not prove, abstinence

Between 1.6 and 2.2%
A %CDT result between 1.6 and 2.2 is consistent with, but does not prove, controlled drinking i.e drinking within Government recommended health guidelines of 14 units per week.

Between 2.3 and 2.9%
A %CDT result between 2.3 and 2.9 is consistent with regular amounts of alcohol consumption and can be an indication of increased risk or higher risk drinking.

3.0% and over
A %CDT result of 3 or more is consistent with regular amounts of alcohol consumption and can indicate alcohol dependence.

Having said all of that, as @price1367 regularly mentions, those classed as alcohol dependent will generally be refused if their result is over 1.0%. It is also important to note as well that even though the wording above only mentions alcohol dependence on results over 3.0%, many people are classified as alcohol dependent on much lower levels than this as the CDT result is only 1 part of the criteria set down by DVLA. Other elements include any notes they have on you, your questionnaire responses, the medical Doctor's notes, your own GP notes, other agencies such as Police, Traffic commissioner etc. notes. Alcohol misuse is a bigger minefield, potentially 2 binge weekends in a 6 month period could see you classed as a 'regular' misuser.....

Got some decent news, after months like may. The first set of bloods had to be voided due to the doctor not writing on the bottle properly, then I had to go and do the full thing again in December. Last time I stayed off the drink for 36 days. This time round I only stayed off it for 10 days as I had so much going on with birthdays engagements. So wasn’t holding out any luck, called the medical team yesterday as I got a letter to asking me for more medical information. Which I filled out and sent back on Wednesday recorded deiverly. The medical team advised if I had failed the blood test, they would not bother asking for more information as it’s a waste of there time and my time, so fingers crossed it just goes to my Gp and hopefully by December I’ll have my lll have license back lol xx

So now my husband had received a letter off the dvla stating they have written to his GP and expect them to reply within 4 weeks? Does anyone know what they ask the gp for? We’re just curious as he hardly goes to the gp so don’t know what I formation they would need?

Hi everyone ,
I hope price or big Tom can answer my question I last posted on the 24 November since I have had a LFT test and two gamma tests first with 115 reading second with a 103 I am about to book a third test. My questions are my ban was up on the 8 May but with going over the 14 units in September and late August I was told on the 25 October I had to prove that I am controlling drinking within government medical guidelines for six months as you can see I am doing this ,first when is the soonest I can reapply, secondly in October I will be 70 and will have to reapply before that date, the way things are looking I will have to apply for my licence twice in 9 months .when if they had of got there finger out I would have had my licence in May and the questions would have been irrelevant as to me going away in August and September. So frustrating ah?
I believe the letter normally says that you cannot apply for 6 months, and that is from the date on the letter, so 25th April.
The good news about renewing your licence at 70 is that it
Can be done online so it should be a fairly quick process.

So now my husband had received a letter off the dvla stating they have written to his GP and expect them to reply within 4 weeks? Does anyone know what they ask the gp for? We’re just curious as he hardly goes to the gp so don’t know what I formation they would need?
DVLA ask the go to complete a form called a DD2.
You can read what it contains in this link:

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off