DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Oh, I had dared to get my hopes up! I would imagine they will - it seems too good to be true time-wise, otherwise! Ha! Thank you for the prompt reply.
I agree with Polly.
I think it only means that it's went to the decision makers only to decide what the next step is.
It could be to write to GP or it could be to issue licence.
No one seems to actually "know" what this means.

I agree with Polly.
I think it only means that it's went to the decision makers only to decide what the next step is.
Thank you, Nile.

I just wish there was a better way to track the process than keep calling and being a general nuisance! And still not get any clarification after the call anyway.

I agree with Polly.
Well you’re absolutely right. I’m fairly sure the DVLA themselves don’t know .

Thank you, Nile.

I just wish there was a better way to track the process than keep calling and being a general nuisance! And still not get any clarification after the call anyway.
I've posted previously that there should be no real problem in creating a website you can access that tell you exactly the status of your application. All it takes is some time and effort.

Thank you, Nile.

Hi, I feel the same about feeling like a nuisance too...even the call advisors (understandably) cannot tell you what the next step will be.
The medical department decision could be anything really - medical required / gp report / request further information from consultants etc or issue licence or not.
The call advisors cannot (understably) give you clarity as it is someone else's decision.
The most we/you/I can hope for is that a sympathetic call advisor who wants to go probably beyond their duty says there are no issues with our application or medical or gp report. They have to be very careful what they say as it could be misleading /wrong/false hope / risk of complaint and all calls are recorded.
I had one who clearly wanted to help who said that the gp report has "no issues" and that this could be seen as a positive.
I was pretty surprised at this comment.
That was 7 weeks ago but still no word after 18.5 weeks after receiving gp report.

HI, when I called DVLA today, they said that they have all the information they need, it just needs to go across to the decision makers. Does this mean they will still write to my GP, or will the medical suffice? Does anyone know please

I’m afraid to say that I think that the « decision makers » can decide to write to the GP. That doesn’t mean they will of course .
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update that I received a phone call today that I will have my license from midnight tonight! So 3 weeks and a day since my medical! I will hang about a bit longer, but just wanted to say thank you SO much to all I have spoken with, and those that I haven't, but have still gleaned information and support from.

Thank you and good luck to all xxx

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update that I received a phone call today that I will have my license from midnight tonight! So 3 weeks and a day since my medical! I will hang about a bit longer, but just wanted to say thank you SO much to all I have spoken with, and those that I haven't, but have still gleaned information and support from.

Thank you and good luck to all xxx
That was fast! Congrats!

I was told last Friday mine would be valid from midnight. It didn’t update online until Tuesday and I’m yet to receive my card. Total shambles that whole place is.
Oh no ! Are you joking?!
I was under the impression that calls are recorded, and I have the guy's name written down with the time he called me to tell me this. What would my legal rights be in this situation, @price1367 ? If you don't mind me pulling you in here for some advice, please? Do I wait for it to update, or do I drive as instructed from tomorrow?

Oh no ! Are you joking?!
I was under the impression that calls are recorded, and I have the guy's name written down with the time he called me to tell me this. What would my legal rights be in this situation, @price1367 ? If you don't mind me pulling you in here for some advice, please? Do I wait for it to update, or do I drive as instructed from tomorrow?
I’m sure yours will be fine and I am the odd one out. I don’t remember reading of anyone else having the same issue!

Oh no ! Are you joking?!
Hi, I'm not Price obviously!
Are you already under S88? - I can't remember your full situation, sorry.
If so then surely you would be fine as you would be covered under this.
I've been told by at least one call advisor that details are normally updated within 24 - 48 hours.
If you are under S88 you would need to tell your insurance anyway that your licence is issued and not under S88 anymore so I think you need to err on the right side of caution and legality and wait until its been updated online as it then shows as entitled to drive and legal, unfortunately.
That was a really quick turnaround BTW...

Hi, I'm not Price obviously!
Are you already under S88? - I can't remember your full situation, sorry.
If so then surely you would be fine as you would be covered under this.
I've been told by at least one call advisor that details are normally updated within 24 - 48 hours.
If you are under S88 you would need to tell your insurance anyway that your licence is issued and not under S88 anymore so I think you need to err on the right side of caution and legality and wait until its been updated online as it then shows as entitled to drive and legal, unfortunately.
That was a really quick turnaround BTW...
No section 88 for me, I was banned 2015-2017 then 2018-2021 hence the HRO.

I was honest with my insurer (cripplingly) and told them about the two DR10s on an otherwise clean license, and about the phone call and they said that it was good enough for them, so that is two recorded phone calls I can blame if I get stopped tomorrow!

Oh no ! Are you joking?!

Whilst incoming calls are recorded at DVLA, I am not sure that outgoing ones are.
Personally I would NOT drive if I were you, until the online checker shows that you have a valid licence again.
You were not instructed to drive, it was indicated that your licence would be issued tomorrow…… but when? Apparently they issue them at all hours of the day, it might be that they reinstate it tomorrow, at 2355, valid from 0001hrs Friday morning……
It would be mitigation if you were stopped, but it would not be an actual defence. It was open to you to verify what you were told on the phone, but you chose to drive before the verification was there.

Whilst incoming calls are recorded at DVLA, I am not sure that outgoing ones are.
Personally I would NOT drive if I were you, until the online checker shows that you have a valid licence again.
You were not instructed to drive, it was indicated that your licence would be issued tomorrow…… but when? Apparently they issue them at all hours of the day, it might be that they reinstate it tomorrow, at 2355, valid from 0001hrs Friday morning……
It would be mitigation if you were stopped, but it would not be an actual defence. It was open to you to verify what you were told on the phone, but you chose to drive before the verification was there.
Damn you and your wise, but unwelcome, logical words.

*sigh*

I shall begrudgingly await confirmation before driving. Thank you, @price1367 for your counsel. Very kind of you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off