DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I would post it straight away .
I am still waiting for my licence ,it should have been returned 7 April .
had the blood test paid for by myself ,also completed the impaired drivers course paid for by myself .paid the fine £360 . Had a medical by my doctor as they paid. for. Last month .
all clear on the blood test back in February .as I stopped drinking altogether .
rang the courts . Apparently Dvla are a law unto theirself . So can’t see why you go to court really . Just money making . Still waiting
I'm not sure that replying to a thread from over 11 years ago is going to make much difference.... Hopefully the OP would have posted their application by now!!!!

Hi All - especially Big Tom, Luna and NoAngel and others who have shown a particular interest bit I've forgotten to mention!
Just for info.
Tried to call again a very short time ago.
Got through right away with that 03001231350 ext 252 number so that works a treat. (Thanks Callumrayb)
Still no further forward though.
No update on licence or progress at all.
Still " passed on and waiting in queue for review at medical team" as they say.
Asked very nice advisor whether there would be need to attend medical but she couldn't tell me as that's a decision for the medical department, which I knew anyway.
At least I found out again that there were no issues with my application.
I'm hopefully assuming that this means not only are there no issues with gp report and my medical conditions but that there are "no issues" in terms of issuing a licence.
What does anyone else think that "no issues with your application" mean please???
16 weeks and 3 days they've had it now.
Anyway thanks all.
No news is bad news?
Have they had your Doctors report for 16 weeks? That's worrying as my GP has still to send their report off to the DVLA.

I'm not sure that replying to a thread from over 11 years ago is going to make much difference.... Hopefully the OP would have posted their application by now!!!!
Yeah, I was just going to tell him that too, I doubled checked first to make sure it was from 2010 as I believed. Yup, August 2010😂

Have they had your Doctors report for 16 weeks? That's worrying as my GP has still to send their report off to the DVLA.
Hi, yeah Luna, 16 weeks and four days now they've had GP report.
The GP report has been deemed as "acceptable" and there are "no issues at all" with the application overall...so its still just "waiting to be reviewed by the medical team".
I would have thought that if there were zero issues whatsoever then that would have led to a quicker licence reissue or medical but no...
And then I might still have too book and attend medical then wait for results/added to system/decision/ issue.
If you're lucky your GP will reply quick - mines took 10 weeks exactly and its only a short yes / no form.

Hi, yeah Luna, 16 weeks and four days now they've had GP report.
The GP report has been deemed as "acceptable" and there are "no issues at all" with the application overall...so its still just "waiting to be reviewed by the medical team".
I would have thought that if there were zero issues whatsoever then that would have led to a quicker licence reissue or medical but no...
And then I might still have too book and attend medical then wait for results/added to system/decision/ issue.
If you're lucky your GP will reply quick - mines took 10 weeks exactly and its only a short yes / no form.
Thanks Nile

From what I can gather yours is a medical issue not an alcohol issue (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have a feeling the more complicated your medical problems are then the longer it takes, but 16 weeks is ridiculous.

BBC Watchdog did another segment on this last night and thinks are not getting any better, It took one girl 26 weeks to just get her first provisional licence and she only received it because the programme got involved.

I wish they would run Watchdog as a separate programme again and not a subset of The One Show.

Something to try - call them again, tell them you are fine with driving under S88 in the UK at the moment, but you need to work in Spain (or another foreign country) in January. Say you cannot drive abroad under S88 so you might lose your job. This should see you 'promoted' to a priority case.

I'm not sure how much further up the queue a priority takes you, it seems that every man and his dog is a 'key worker', so the priority queue might actually be longer than the non-priority!:rolleyes:

This actually works. I wasn't lying, I was going to Spain in September and had to rent a car and was still waiting on my renewal in mid August and driving under section 88, I called them and said I needed to drive abroad on the second of September and could not do so under section 88, my licence landed 8 days later.

This actually works. I wasn't lying, I was going to Spain in September and had to rent a car and was still waiting on my renewal in mid August and driving under section 88, I called them and said I needed to drive abroad on the second of September and could not do so under section 88, my licence landed 8 days later.
Just a quick update for me. I rang dvla on Thursday 2nd Dec for an update and it seems my complaint has made me a priority only tool 9 months !!! Forms have been sent to my gp so I guess I'm in for another couple of months at least until I get word to go fir a medical. But at least things are moving .

Had my medical letter today.

3/9/21 DVLA received application (sent recorded)
17/11/21 application scanned to medical department
4/12/21 medical appointment letter arrived.

I’ll ring next week but I’m likely going to be attending the medical in January.
Hope this gives others who are waiting an idea of the current timeframes.

Had my medical letter today.

3/9/21 DVLA received application (sent recorded)
17/11/21 application scanned to medical department
4/12/21 medical appointment letter arrived.

I’ll ring next week but I’m likely going to be attending the medical in January.
Hope this gives others who are waiting an idea of the current timeframes.
We (I) very much appreciate the post and its great that yours was done so timeously and effeciently.
However (in terms of current timescales as you say) I think you have been very fortunate.
I know everyone's case is unique but I would just like to add my timescale :
Paperwork received at DVLA March 10th
GP report requested and received by DVLA 1st August.
Scanned and received by medical department 10th August.
As of today still no idea of medical date and application still waiting to be reviewed - confirmed by calls to advisors.
No issues with application or GP report also confirmed.
Just waiting to be looked at after very nearly 17 weeks 👏

Last edited:
We (I) very much appreciate the post and its great that yours was done so timeously and effeciently.
However (in terms of current timescales as you say) I think you have been very fortunate.
I know everyone's case is unique but I would just like to add my timescale :
Paperwork received at DVLA March 10th
GP report requested and received by DVLA 1st August.
Scanned and received by medical department 10th August.
As of today still no idea of medical date and application still waiting to be reviewed - confirmed by calls to advisors.
No issues with application or GP report also confirmed.
Just waiting to be looked at after very nearly 17 weeks 👏
Are you waiting for your license after a ban or a temporary license?

Update on my renewal timescale after ringing DVLA for an update this morning:

28/05/2021 - My DR1 forms/questionnaire sent in

05/07/2021 - DVLA informed me they were writing to my GP

09/08/2021 - My GP rang me to fill in his DD2 forms

21/08/2021 - 1 year License expired

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me they were returning forms to my GP as they had missing/incorrect information

08/09/2021 - DVLA informed me I needed medical

11/11/2021 - DVLA received complete forms from GP (not sure what was missing as the GP never rang me back so it must have been something on his side)

12/11/2021 - DVLA medical completed

19/11/2021 - CDT results uploaded to DVLA system

03/12/2021 - DVLA medical report uploaded to DVLA system

06/12/2021 - They have sent everything through to the medical decision makers this morning.

Hopefully not too long now and I hope showing my timescale gives people an idea of how long to expect. One thing to note is that they wrote to my GP before asking me to see their own doctor. Last year after coming off my ban and applying for my first license as a HRO they got me to go to their medical first and then wrote to my GP. I don't know if it makes much of a different time wise or not.

Hi! Sorry to hear from some of you what appears to be a nightmare regarding your medical and timescales. I will go through my timescale now.
I paid on 22nd June, my licence was due back on 20th August 2021. I received a letter to book my medical on October 4th, which I booked for 25th. The medical itself was fine, I last had a drink on the 23rd (1 vodka and coke) and I last had over 6 units on October 9th.

i received a letter on December 4th informing me my 10-year licence would arrive in the next 14 days and my CDT results were 0.,5%.

I wish you all the best.

Does anyone know how they update the online view licence status page? Do they do it a few times throughout the day or is it just once at a set time like midnight?

It's updated 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Apparently the decisions from the medical department are updated within 24 - 48.
Brilliant thank you. I’ve had no car for 2 weeks now - they wouldn’t give me the new one on the finance till it shows my entitlement! Grrr…

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off